Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
P.S. It is against forum rules to spam three forums with the identical message -
which was done here (in Colorado, New Mexico, and California).
Do you really consider the OP's original thread 'spam'?

While I certainly agree that the ideal is to visit any place one is considering moving to prior to making a decision, and, multiple times, if possible, I see nothing wrong with wanting to narrow down choices prior to committing to what could be an expensive trip.

Also, life circumstances being what they are these days, I think it is fair to say that we may see more and more of these types of queries. I would direct folks to the Texas/El Paso forum for many similar queries from people being relocated to that area due to postings at Ft. Bliss. I know when my son was posted to Ft. Bragg in NC, there was no opportunity for him to visit beforehand to see if he liked the area.

That being said, here is what I do know specific to the original post - Taos has a very nice town center, with lots of places to sit outside and enjoy a coffee, read a book, people-watch, etc. There are some wonderful galleries, funky restaurants (we ate at a cool pizza place owned by someone from Brooklyn, NY) and the usual tourist traps. The area abounds with living history - Kit Carson's house, Taos Pueblo, Rio Ranchos church...
The area is really beautiful, though it can be very cold in the winter. Parts of the town are still quite rural (dirt roads, etc.) and it is a long drive to the closest large city. Search the New Mexico forums for other info and good luck with your search

Here is a link to some 'kid' stuff in Taos.
Twirl: Family-friendly activities and what to do with kids in Taos, NM (http://www.twirlhouse.com/taos_useful_information.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
jecc said:

> The reason this forum exists is, in part, so that people can get info
> without traveling.

People can get information by first, reading older posts which contain plenty of good information written in detail by the good people on the forum. City-Data also provides a lot of information that is a *start* regarding weather, housing, the local economy, tourism.

Information can also be obtained by visiting web sites put up by the cities themselves.

> Have you seen gas prices lately?

Irrelevant. We are talking about completely uprooting and moving.

> Who can visit three different places so easily?

Anyone. Ride a bus if you cannot afford to save a little money and drive.
If such a trip is out-of-the question budget-wise, then so is an actual move.

> This forum should ban the response "You need to visit and make
> up your own mind" and all similar statements.

You mean similar statements like "You should make an informed decision?"
or
"You should not take the advice of strangers." You mean stuff like that?

That's certainly a good idea. I'm all for it.

> If everyone could travel to all the places they are thinking of moving to, this forum would have little purpose.

Hardly. In my prior searches for places to move, I had no opportunity to post on City-Data because there was no internet, but I wrote letters asking specific questions to the CofC and sent away for literature and got informed.

I also visted and toured the area in person.

Others on this board, traveled and later posted questions like "what is the monsoon like?" and "how long does it take to get acclimated to the altitude?"

Towanda and other recent arrivals were all over this board with specific questions and advice where they could contribute.

It is always advisable to lurk and read and see how information is exchanged rather than to just blurt out a "Tell me everything!!!" post. That is one of the many reasons I requested a waiting period after joining for posting.

RamblinRoseRanch opined:

> I don't think these type questions should be berated ....

My response was advice. Just like all the advice on here, it can be ignored.

> ... or considered spam.

spam is a message delevered to many unwilling/uninterested people in identical form. If you want people to make a personal answer, then ask a question that is specific and shows you have done some homework.

Copying the exact same message across many boards is spam just like someone copying the exact same message and sending it to many many inboxes.

That's why it is agains City-Data policy. It's too bad the policy isn't enforced. It would be easy for their computers to catch it and remove it just like my server catches and removes some spam before it gets to my inbox.

Just like someone thinks it is important to post their message all over the place, there is someone out there trying to make a living selling "enhancement" creams via spam email. I'm not sympathetic.

> How else ya gonna know if you don't ask?

You can ask specific questions like "what does $150k buy in Taos?" Something like that.

Again, I'm real helpful when someone is asking about something specific or difficult to search for.
Anyone who thinks differently hasn't been paying attention.

As the #2 curmugeon, it's my job to be a butthead when we are all set to go over the same thing
that has been discussed over and over and over and over and over in multiple threads.

> Not everyone knows how to search for the responses they need at first.

That's one reason that people should lurk first.

Last edited by mortimer; 07-09-2008 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 PM

286 posts, read 1,321,892 times
OK, another way to see what's happening in Taos is to read the weekly paper. It's published on Thursday, and is usually available online by Friday. www.taosnews.com. It does give you what's happening in town, and the Tempo section will also give you ideas on what's happening in arts and entertainment.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
I didn't mean you specifically Towanda. I just meant that sometimes a visit comes at the end of research, after all other options are exhausted. Not everyone (and not many, with the cost of fuel what it is) can afford to take many look-see trips.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:43 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
*GASP* Mortimer, you're ENCOURAGING lurking? lol
And to answer your rhetorical Taos question, i'll bet not much. I'd shudder to see what those properties with grass and horses on 'em cost that we saw on our way in!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM

RamblinRoseRanch answers:

> ... your rhetorical Taos question, i'll bet not much.

That's what I'd bet.

It wasn't really rhetorical, but rather an example. It's a question that can be answered long-distance.

The answer might be that you can get a converted garage within a mile of the city center or a 1,000 sq ft condo several miles S of town. I'm guessing that's fairly accurate, but from me, it would just be a guess.

I suppose for you, like most people, you have (or will have, once your house sells) a budget for a new place. Almost anyone knows that $100k gets you different things in different locations.

I note that for the three identical threads, one, in CA forum is dying on the vine.
Would that this would happen all the time. The CO forum has 4 replies.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 21,487 times
Thank you to everyone who have sent such helpful and supportive replies. Of course we are planning on visiting each of these places before we make a decision. I just thought it would be very helpful to get some insight from people who really new these towns.

Mortimer, as I stated, I wasn't aware of the policy about not posting to different categores, and actually thought that I was doing the right thing by posting in each category to which this thread applied. I have tried to figure out how to erase 2 of the threads that I started, and have even emailed city-data, but can't figure out how to do that. It seems that you enjoy having something to grumble about though, so I'm glad I could give that to you.

Again, thank you everyone else for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it and it is extremely helpful.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:24 PM

fordycek explained:

> ... wasn't aware of the policy about not posting to different categores, ...
> ... tried to figure out how to erase ... can't figure out how to do that.

It actually shouldn't be your job. City-Data doesn't enforce it's own rules. That's what I'm grumbling about. They also don't allow suggestions or discussions on suggestions. I grumble about that also.

> It seems that you enjoy having something to grumble about though,
> so I'm glad I could give that to you.

True enough.

> Of course we are planning on visiting each of these places ...

It's the only way.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
The problem with enforcing the rules, as I see it, is this:

I agreed to moderate the New Mexico forum, and that includes ABQ, Santa Fe and Las Cruces. I read every thread in those forums every day.

I DO NOT have time to search what posters have posted in other state forums...so who is the person who is supposed to be doing that at C-D? Do you have any idea how time consuming that would be? The problem is built into the system - having mods for each state means we don't look at what is being posted in other state forums.

ALL MODS are volunteers and we are doing the best job we can ... and it is often a pretty thankless job.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Towanda said:

> I DO NOT have time to search what posters have posted ...

My complaint is that it would be easy to catch via an automated agent.
You shouldn't have to do it, but they don't do it at the top levels.

Just so you know my comments were not a moderator complaint if that's your concern.
I think you have bent over backwards to be a good one.

We have to go through different levels as members.

First we are a "Memeber" then a "Senior" where we have the *extra* priviledge of adding stuff.

I'm still grumbling about there not being an "associate" member where the member could search posts by another member and send DMs, but not post for a while.

You have to wait between posts. You have to wait for this and wait for that, but ....

> ALL MODS are volunteers ... is often a pretty thankless job.

Then allow me to Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You ...

You do a great job and I've enjoyed the occasional spanking.

I'll continue to whine about the other stuff though and expect more spankings in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico