Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times

Advertisements

Oh my !!!!!
Someone please educate this former city gal turned mountain woman on what to do if I run across a wild animal while hiking in the woods/forest/mountain.
I know not to run from them and to make noise but any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:34 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
If you can hike with someone and if not make sure you are not carrying any food or scented items like gum or beef jerky or wearing perfumes or deodorants. Always try to make noise as bears will almost always avoid you if you do. You can purchase Bear bells as they attached to a walking stick, hiking boots or backpack and make a noise it will hear and disperse. Also carry a nice thick walking stick as it could come in handy in many ways.

I believe NM has had only one fatal bear accident in the last 100 years and she was a 93 y/o lady back in 2001.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks for your answer.
My deodorant is not scented anyway and the only thing I would be taking is some water and something to snack on such as a protein bar or nuts.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Thanks for your answer.
My deodorant is not scented anyway and the only thing I would be taking is some water and something to snack on such as a protein bar or nuts.
That sounds fine and also if you stay on the trails you should be safe as other hikers are on them also it's when some wonder off the trails deep into the forest that enconters could happen as well as getting lost in them. Not a good thing

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 07-19-2008 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 PM

Just walking around Timberon and getting somewhat lost, I've ended up on no trails whatsoever but found my way back to the road.
Thanks for the trail advice.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Just walking around Timberon and getting somewhat lost, I've ended up on no trails whatsoever but found my way back to the road.
Thanks for the trail advice.
I still think the best advice out in Timberon is listening to Chilegal as she knows those woods well and if i lived out there i'd seek her advice and all.

Anyway Cheryl......have fun and enjoy it up there as it's so nice there. I'll be thinking of you guys if i'm working on a hot roof down in town burning up and downing gatorade by the gallon in the desert heat .

Old 07-19-2008, 04:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Thanks for your answer.
But Cheryl.....protein bars are the mountain lion's favorite food.....

*ducking and running*

Old 07-19-2008, 05:42 PM

He/She would have to fight me for it. LOL
No one messes with my protein bars.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,080 times
If you encounter a mountain lion, make yourself as big as possible (lifting your backpack over your shoulders, waving large sticks) and make threatening noises while backing away. Do not scream or run away--this makes you appear more like prey. Continue until you get to your vehicle or inside a building, as a lion will stalk you. Then call up Fish and Game and/or the Forest Service right away and report it.

I don't think there are grizzly bears in NM, and black bear are usually only problems when: a. people have been feeding them; b. you are camping and need to store food; c. you come between a sow and her cub(s). Usually, making a lot of racket scares them away. I did know one person to sucessfully avoid a mother bear by running and climbing a tree, although I think that was merely luck.

The only thing I worry about are mountain lions. And I wouldn't worry about odors with them--they can smell our wonderful, natural human odor just fine!

Really, its plain hard to see wildlife while hiking, much less finding wildlife that actually wants to pick a bone with you. We are too noisy and smelly, they usually just hide/wander away until the humans are gone.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 PM

215 posts, read 840,204 times
Yeah, no grizzlies to worry about here, just black bears and lions. The advice above is good, but if you end up in a tussle with a black bear, fight back hard. With cats, you will normally either survive unharmed or be killed before you know it. They can sneak up on you and take you out in a blink.

I always carry bear spray and a .357 with three .38 rounds for small stuff and three bear loads in the last chambers in case I need them. Odds are I would not have time to use firepower on a fast animal, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

For me the most important thing is hiking with a respectful attitude. I am in the animals' territory, and I think they can sense the difference between a reverent interloper and a brazen jackass who thinks he owns the place.

For more tips, just google "hiking in bear country."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico