Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 11,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Oh my !!!!!
Someone please educate this former city gal turned mountain woman on what to do if I run across a wild animal while hiking in the woods/forest/mountain.
I know not to run from them and to make noise but any other ideas?
I live in Jefferson, for about 3 years now. There are more bear sightings than ever this year, so be careful. But black bear attacks are very rare. Don't run. Back away slowly, don't make eye contact, they will feel intimidated. don't ever feed a bear, they will come after you for more food. if they are in the distance make noise with pots and pans to scare them off. Although, i think they are becoming immune to noise since they are more often around people and noise. if you are attacked by a bear, play dead, on your stomach, legs apart because the bear will try to turn you over, and keep your vitals covered with your pack and whatever you can, hands around the back of your neck. hope this helps. lions and tigers???? hope you don't see any of them where you're hiking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Thanks Bartender for your input on this.
Mountain lions are a big part of being here too.
I added in the tigers for a little fun.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:40 AM

140 posts, read 475,161 times
Thumbs up about killing verses protection...

Dear Songwind, do yourselves a favour- take a handGun course, never mind about killing a poor animal, you need to protect yourselves -period.In fairness , i tend to give animals second and third chances in practice-some Black Snakes were eating our Fresh range-fed delicious Eggs. My Best half and i drove them ,(yah with gas prices high), a few miles away ,three times, until my 12yr old Son came to visit, they woke me from a nap telling me a large black snake was in the chicken coop again- i grabbed the old dull hatchet- and wham ! off with its head! SUrvival instinct Rules ! I woke up with no second thoughts-did what i had to do-period-those eggs are our food, and some of our neighbors as well. I explained to my youngster that we do not kill any living thing without a very good reason, with no other choice-and when in doubt don't kill it. In your situation- if you met one of those Mountain Lions ,(G-D forbid-may you be protected),do you know how much they weigh? Adults-150-230lbs- 7-8ft long-large teeth and claws , that kill by grabbing at the neck at the base of the head-yes gross -sorry-but i am being realistic here- you might consult the local Park Service of what they think-I would not let my Better half go out at night or anytime in your area without a weapon , remember train to protect , not that your hunting -but Living and Surviving-Sometimes being a little paranoid has advantages of longevity . Enjoy and go in Peace and Safety.One more thing, what good is a small caliber handgun gonna do,maybe make some noise , which isn't a bad idea, ask the Park Ranger about that- But train with a larger Caliber handGun-that will protect you -not just pisoff the Lion,maybe hollow points are in order-again ask the Rangers and Experianced Hikers-especially the oldtimers-always carry a Bucknife .Read Books aobut your area, use common sense-be prepared for anything.
Again above all enjoy and stay alert.

Last edited by Greenmon; 08-25-2008 at 12:50 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,537 times
Default Wild Animals in the Mountains TIPS

Lots of very good Advice on avoiding becoming Food for the Wild Animals while hiking. With all the Forest Fires and people taking over their Land these Wild Animals are running Scared and Hungry and some are injured from being shot at. My Suggestion since ive spent a lifetime in the Mountains and have had some close calls with Bears and Bobcats no mountain lions yet. Dont eat a Steak or Hamburger and Fries before you go hiking you will smell like a Walking Sirloin out in the Mountains. If a Bear does come towards you drop your backpack or Shirt and try to walk back to your vehicle slowly not backwards you could trip. Having a Gun is nice but learn to shoot it and be Accurate. The Smaller 22 L.R. hollow point bullets can bring down a deer if you hit it in the Head i dont know about bears. But when you get your permit to carry a gun i would suggest qualifying in the bigger caliber. But a 22 L.R. single action or double action are my favorite for killing Rattlesnakes and Rabbits and hitting them in the Head most everytime. I dont like automatic weapons. Theres also the 22 magnum a little bigger bullet and more powder. Some of these pistols are 9 shots and sometimes the Cylinders can interchange from a regular 22 L.R. to a 22 Magnum. The 22 Magnums have a little more range. Also sometimes the 38s use the same Ammo as the 357s. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-26-2008, 02:05 PM

I've never used a gun in my life and wouldn't know where to start. Remember I'm a city raised gal.
Maybe I'll just not eat a steak or cheesburger (which I wouldn't eat something that heavy anyway before a hike) and take my chances that they'll stay away from me during the day. Maybe they're nocturnal. In that case, I'm safe because I'm only out during the day.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Using a gun is easy. I'm city-raised myself, but if you take a concealed-weapons permit course, they will show you how to handle a gun. A revolver is simple and easy to use anyway. You shouldn't have to circumscribe your activities because of wild critters. Your chances of being attacked are small in any case. Go ahead and have fun in the outdoors, and get a little protection.

That reminds me of a booth at a gun show I went to, which was selling purses with gun compartments for ladies to pack heat with. Their catchphrase was "The ultimate in feminine protection"!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM

344 posts, read 550,789 times
Also, it pays to watch your step, closely.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,537 times
Default Hey Song in the Wind

The Bear that almost had me for a Meal in Corona N.M. a couple of years ago was out around the Middle of the Day i guess he didnt know how to tell time. Also i did have my 22 magnum pistol in my pickup but it was too far away to get to it. I think there was a 400 lb bear run over in Tijeras a couple of them today i guess they are coming out of the Wood Work. To all you Annie Oakleys if you want to go hiking the best advice is carry a pistol because the Wildlife is coming to Town. And another thing if you ever have a Close Call with a Bear or Mountain lion you probably wont ever go hiking in that area again or maybe you will give it up altogether. TIP get you a Ski Pole its Great Protection from Humans and to kill Rattlesnakes i dont know about the Bears but its the Alternative to No Gun Annie. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM

I would probably freeze with the gun in my hand while wetting my pants and then again I may surprise everyone and shoot. LOL
I do have walking sticks but seldom use them. I forget to bring them along.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
The Bear that almost had me for a Meal in Corona N.M. a couple of years ago
You weren't eating a burger and fries that day were you??

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 08-27-2008 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico