Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - if any of you ever get to New Hampshire try the Kancamagus Highway and the Bear Notch Road for truly magnificent scenery.
And to think I did that on a bicycle years ago! I went specifically for the fall colors - and the only downside was that all the campgrounds were closed after the Labor Day holiday! But that was offset by the number of small "mom and pop" motels and lodges with very reasonable "off season" prices. I lugged all that camping gear on the bicycle for the entire ten day tour and never used it (that I recall).

As for this thread, there are SOOOOO MANY great backroads in NM, all with their own unique scenery/experience. Picking a favorite is really hard. I'd have to catergorize and choose - for example: Road with least traffic, Most creeks, Most wildlife, Most desolate, etc.

The favorite in my immediate area is the drive from Cloudcroft to Sunspot - a short drive but with very little traffic, good pavement and fantastic views along the way, especially the panoramas out over the Tularosa Basin and the Great White Sands desert.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
When I get to NM I will have a motorcycle and a helmet. The road from Cloudcroft to Sunspot just has to be ridden. It was great fun driving it. I also want to take the "back" way to Mongollon via the Bursam Road or 52/59 from T or C. in late summer.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink If so tempted

Mention of Truth or Consequences, NM reminds me of a long and interesting drive between there and Silver City, NM. It is via NM 152, which can be reached a short distance south of TorC, off I-25.

Be forewarned that if the distance appears relatively short on a map, that the many many curves on the ground will quickly dissuade you of any such notion. In short, you'll either be thanking or cursing me for such a suggestion.

The road appears simple enough from the interstate, fairly level and flat, and ever so wonderfully, largely, empty of traffic. This illusion will continue through the small and quaint town of Hillsboro, NM. For the less adventurous, this would be a good place to explore and then turn back. For much beyond one will come to the mountains which will seemingly extend forever, if in fact crossed at last to rolling hills on into Silver City. This latter section is relatively easy driving, and a chance to visit some of the less seen aspects of rural New Mexico.

Within the mountains proper, forests of pine trees and all, NM 152 is the very definition of winding. It is one tight curve after another, after another. On a second visit one can imagine the far side, but the first visit may lead one to wonder what they are attempting, or ever done with. If without a schedule, and enjoying such things, it can be a wonderful, if relatively slow, excursion. Backroad New Mexico at its finest . . . or worst. You decide.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Forest Road 936, Cibloa N.F..
Deep Canyons and deep washes, leads to a ghost ranch, complete with 'ol time fenced corrale and rock house with a metal roof and a Aermotor Windmill.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite NM backroad?-cibola3.jpg  

Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
I'm a bit surprised no one has yet mentioned the "high road to Taos" that runs along the foothills of the Sangre de Christo mtns. and seems to be everyone's consensus "favorite drive" after they have experienced it.

I certainly concur with the consensus opinions.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Default Valle Vidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Just google "valle vidal NM" and you will find it.
Here's a second vote for Valle Vidal!

I also like all the backroads (truly backroads!) along 197 around Pueblo Pintado & Chaco Canyon area for all the old Navajo hogans & Anasazi ruins off the beaten track that still have ladders, latillas, petroglyphs, corn in the cribs, etc.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I'm a bit surprised no one has yet mentioned the "high road to Taos" that runs along the foothills of the Sangre de Christo mtns. and seems to be everyone's consensus "favorite drive" after they have experienced it.

I certainly concur with the consensus opinions.

Or the even higher one from Truchas through the mountains to Taos I took that Bongo will have to tell you the name of as I have no idea what it's called.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Or the even higher one from Truchas through the mountains to Taos I took that Bongo will have to tell you the name of as I have no idea what it's called.
Wait a second, CAVA! LOL! You said before the road you were on was dirt. The high road to Taos is paved. We figured you were up toward Truchas Peak on a Carson Nat'l forest service road if it were dirt out of Truchas. The road from Truchas to Taos is paved.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I'm confused. Was a dirt road most of the way straight up from Truchas. Did I say something to make it sound paved?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Just google "valle vidal NM" and you will find it.
THANK YOU!!!! I am going to enjoy it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico