Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Well....I'm finding out just how spoiled rotten I really am.

I usually swim at the Alamogordo Physical Therapy Center, but the pools will be closed for almost two weeks. It's all indoor.

So, I go over to the Family Rec Center to get a 10-visit punch card, pool only.

It's outdoors until the middle of October. The hours are very restricted for lap swimming, and the lanes limited (5). I got there as soon as lap swimming opened, and all of the lanes were full. So.....I start my laps on the outside of the lanes, but next to the last lane divider. I stayed as close to it as possible, to stay out of their way.

You'd think I'd committed murder....

In behind me were several little old ladies in swimsuits...AND....full makeup, perfectly coiffed, stiffly sprayed hair, fancy sunhats, et al. They spread out and tried to take up the entire end of the pool, when there was plenty of room for them away from the lane divider.

One little old lady gave me a dirty look every time I did my flip turns near where she was having a conversation with another little old lady just like herself...hair, the whole bit.

Geeeez!! I was so glad when a lane became available, so I could do some real laps, instead of having to watch where I was going so much!!

The water is heated...and it's hot as hell outside (90 degrees). It was like swimming in bath water. I was glad I had my darkest goggles with me, because it was so bright and hot outside. I felt like I was in the Texas Rio Grande Valley, rather than New Mexico.

I am glad the facility is available, but I can't wait for the PTC to reopen their pool after repairs. The room where the pools are (one hot therapy and one 4-lane 25-meter lap pool) is hot, but the water is cold in the summer...and I love that cold shock when I first dive in after coming in from 90+ degree weather. The hours are extended (6am to 6pm, continuously), so I rarely ever have to wait. I like to get the last lane by the window so I can see out as I swim. But.....any lane will do nicely compared to the FRC. I haven't swum outdoors for 20 years...and I am really finding out just how much I prefer indoor swimming, as I had in Midland (top-notch, world-class aquatics center). The PTC, while not nearly as large, is just fine. The Family Rec Center....well....it's nice as a backup, but I would not want to have that as the only option.

Yep, I'm spoiled rotten. I have half a mind to put in an indoor Endless Pool.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
That takes me back to my water days when I lived in Texas.
I did water aerobics also and some of the ladies would get upset because the other side of the pool was for swimmers. The swimmers didn't bother anyone and the pool was big enough for everybody.
I cracked up laughing when you mentioned these little old ladies in full makeup, and the frizzy hair perm. Don't understand why someone wants to get in the water with makeup and hairspray. Nasty.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
That takes me back to my water days when I lived in Texas.
I did water aerobics also and some of the ladies would get upset because the other side of the pool was for swimmers. The swimmers didn't bother anyone and the pool was big enough for everybody.
I cracked up laughing when you mentioned these little old ladies in full makeup, and the frizzy hair perm. Don't understand why someone wants to get in the water with makeup and hairspray. Nasty.
They didn't want to get their perfect big hair wet, mess up their fancy sunglasses, makeup, etc...

Since I didn't put on any sunblock, I found out just how quickly one sunburns up here at the higher elevations....it's not bad, but I'm not swimming today; tomorrow with either sunblock or a t-shirt.....I have never swum outdoors at high elevations before, so I guess I will know better now.

If there aren't any lanes avaliable, I'll try the other side of the pool and leave the little old ladies to do whatever it is they do.

There is a property I'm considering going and looking at in Timberon soon. It's new construction, but there are also a few smaller, older places to see, too. I'm beginning to think that I should just move where I dang well please...and put in an Endless Pool, so I wouldn't be limited to having to live in places where there is indoor swimming!

I'll call their office sooner or later. How are you liking it up there?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Cathy ....have you ever thought about building your own pool.......

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Same thing. I burn a lot quicker here than in Texas so I have to watch it. I really don't use sunscreen though. Shame on me but I don't.
We are really liking it here in Timberon. It's weird thinking it's cool here and then going to Alamo or Ruidoso and it's a lot warmer.
You're gonna have to get yourself up here and look around and put your own pool in.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Cathy ....have you ever thought about building your own pool.......
Yes....but it's a PITA for the upkeep and very expensive to install in the first place. It's so much bother that I never really seriously considered it...and it will have to be indoors.

You also take a hit when resale comes up.

An Endless Pool will probably be the best option, and I have looked into that before. But I won't do that here, since I have two options already.

But if I move, it might be a real option.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Same thing. I burn a lot quicker here than in Texas so I have to watch it. I really don't use sunscreen though. Shame on me but I don't.
We are really liking it here in Timberon. It's weird thinking it's cool here and then going to Alamo or Ruidoso and it's a lot warmer.
You're gonna have to get yourself up here and look around and put your own pool in.
Ruidoso is warmer than Timberon? Interesting. I'm probably going to R Monday.

I always wear sunblock on my face when I ski, because of the extreme reflection off of the snow.

If I have to wear it swimming...yuck. The idea of bathing in it isn't much fun.

I have decided to save the rest of the punchcard for December (and drop my PTC membership for that month)...they'll have the winter cover on by then. This swimming outdoors is for the birds (fish??)!!

Alamogordo sucks big time in the summer outdoors. I can't wait for October and decent weather again. I went to the fair...and thought I was gonna pass out from the heat and humidity. Scratch June-August....and probably September, too, if I remember correctly.

Boy, I'm turning in to a real wuss as far as heat goes...in my old age!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM

576 posts, read 2,308,075 times
Default On behalf of the little old lady floating heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
In behind me were several little old ladies in swimsuits...AND....full makeup, perfectly coiffed, stiffly sprayed hair, fancy sunhats, et al. They spread out and tried to take up the entire end of the pool, when there was plenty of room for them away from the lane divider.

One little old lady gave me a dirty look every time I did my flip turns near where she was having a conversation with another little old lady just like herself...hair, the whole bit.
Years ago, we kids would go swimming with my mom and would always make fun of her for her idea of "swimming"--standing erect, keeping the perfect hair dry, everything just as you described it.

Fast forward (very fast) to now. My mother is long gone, and I go swimming every day at the municipal pool, which is filled with what I call "floating heads"--those little old ladies again. Only this time, now that I have inherited the family arthritis curse, I see them a little differently. I see the canes and walkers that have been left by the pool stairs. I see the women who can barely walk, easing themselves and their angry joints into the water for a few moments of weightless bliss. I can see that just getting to the pool has perhaps been a struggle to a person who toils to dress herself in the morning (and yes, to apply that perfect makeup with hands that have stiffened and become deformed with age and arthritis).

When you see that lady with the crabby face again, consider that perhaps she is looking at you--in all your health and fitness--with envy. She might be remembering a time when she could dive and swim laps effortlessly. She might even be angry that old age, infirmity, and chronic pain have come so quickly to her.

~clairz

Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Years ago, we kids would go swimming with my mom and would always make fun of her for her idea of "swimming"--standing erect, keeping the perfect hair dry, everything just as you described it.

Fast forward (very fast) to now. My mother is long gone, and I go swimming every day at the municipal pool, which is filled with what I call "floating heads"--those little old ladies again. Only this time, now that I have inherited the family arthritis curse, I see them a little differently. I see the canes and walkers that have been left by the pool stairs. I see the women who can barely walk, easing themselves and their angry joints into the water for a few moments of weightless bliss. I can see that just getting to the pool has perhaps been a struggle to a person who toils to dress herself in the morning (and yes, to apply that perfect makeup with hands that have stiffened and become deformed with age and arthritis).

When you see that lady with the crabby face again, consider that perhaps she is looking at you--in all your health and fitness--with envy. She might be remembering a time when she could dive and swim laps effortlessly. She might even be angry that old age, infirmity, and chronic pain have come so quickly to her.

~clairz
Interesting take, Claire...I didn't consider it in that light at all! They fill the hot therapy pool up at the PTC, which is separate from the cold lap pool!

I guess that is why they keep the water so warm at the FRC (and the indoor therapy at PTC), even when it is 90 outside!

I have bum knees (I ski, but very carefully only on green and easier blues, in contrast to harder blues and the occasional black runs I did in my younger days)....and arthritis is setting in. That's why I like to swim so much, because it is so easy on the joints, as you well know.

I just hope that the next time I go, they are only in that one end to themselves...and I won't bother them if I'm swimming outside of a designated lane! The hours are so limited (2 hours at a time) that I can't get in a full 70 laps if I have to wait too long.

But there are plenty of Seniors in their 70s-80s who swim regular laps, just as I do, in both places.

The facility at Clovis sounds really nice, too.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:26 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes....but it's a PITA for the upkeep and very expensive to install in the first place. It's so much bother that I never really seriously considered it...and it will have to be indoors.

You also take a hit when resale comes up.

An Endless Pool will probably be the best option, and I have looked into that before. But I won't do that here, since I have two options already.

But if I move, it might be a real option.
Why an indoor pool?? Do you burn easy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico