Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Texans wouldn't know Chili or Chile if it bit them on the arse.
You are very, very sadly mistaken. Your ignorance is showing again.

I could beat YOUR arse off with roasting and cooking with it, too.

I bet you haven't grown 20-25 different varieties over the years from raw seed as this Texan has, either....and knows one from the other.

I can cook a Texas-style bowl of red.....as well as a NM-style green chile stew...that you couldn't even come close to matching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You are very, very sadly mistaken. Your ignorance is showing again.

I could beat YOUR arse off with roasting and cooking with it, too.

I bet you haven't grown 20-25 different varieties over the years from raw seed as this Texan has, either....and knows one from the other.

I can cook a Texas-style bowl of red.....as well as a NM-style green chile stew...that you couldn't even come close to matching.
your info says you are from NM, though. maybe once a texan, but once the chile gets in your blood, you can never go back

just outta curiosity, which do you prefer; a bowl of texas red or NM green?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
One thing I've noticed is in grocery store self-checkouts. When you want to "Look Up Item" for any type of chile, it's under "Peppers". This wouldn't bug me (and I'd've considered it a synonym in my Idaho days), 'cept the clerk acted like I was the dumb one when I had to ask why "Chile" wasn't a category and where to find them. Columbus was NOT a botanist, so why does his misnomer category prevail???

This post is sort of in jest, but I'm still curious.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
your info says you are from NM, though. maybe once a texan, but once the chile gets in your blood, you can never go back

just outta curiosity, which do you prefer; a bowl of texas red or NM green?
LOL!! I am a born-and-bred West Texan, who has been in NM a little more than a year. I have been cooking with and roasting my own green chile since the late 1980s. There were a number of ranchers and others who grew their own green chile, and roasted same in the area where I grew up.

Texas bowl of red or NM green?? Do I HAVE to choose? *ducking and running*

If I have made both myself, I couldn't choose. I love both.

Having said that, I have never had a good bowl of Texas red made in a restaurant, but that's not true of NM green chile. Many restaurants (in both TX and NM) make great green.

NM green is common in El Paso and West Texas in general, though I don't think that most people know that.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
One thing I've noticed is in grocery store self-checkouts. When you want to "Look Up Item" for any type of chile, it's under "Peppers". This wouldn't bug me (and I'd've considered it a synonym in my Idaho days), 'cept the clerk acted like I was the dumb one when I had to ask why "Chile" wasn't a category and where to find them. Columbus was NOT a botanist, so why does his misnomer category prevail???

This post is sort of in jest, but I'm still curious.
That's just too, too funny.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
LOL!! I am a born-and-bred West Texan, who has been in NM a little more than a year. I have been cooking with and roasting my own green chile since the late 1980s. There were a number of ranchers and others who grew their own green chile, and roasted same in the area where I grew up.

Texas bowl of red or NM green?? Do I HAVE to choose? *ducking and running*

If I have made both myself, I couldn't choose. I love both.

Having said that, I have never had a good bowl of Texas red made in a restaurant, but that's not true of NM green chile. Many restaurants (in both TX and NM) make great green.

NM green is common in El Paso and West Texas in general, though I don't think that most people know that.
yup...kind of a loaded question on a NM forum

i think i would always choose the green, although i would never turn down a bowl of good red chili (i know everyone has their own opinions on nomenclature, but to me the fruit (red or green) is always chile regardless of if it is raw or prepared; the texas-style is always chili).

a big reason for my choice is that being native NM i grew up w/ chile/posole/stew/etc. when i moved away, i couldn't find good chile (IMHO) anywhere, so i built up a longing for it (really pissed me off when i moved to LA and could only find Anaheim, even at the farmer's markets). could always make chili from chile powder (NM of course), but couldn't ever get the taste of the fruit from a powder.

ugghh...so hoongry right now just thinking about all the nonsense i am going to cook up. can't wait for it to cool off here (couple months away) so i can really enjoy a good bowl of NM. oh, i will cook it and eat it up while it is still scorching here...but few things are better to warm you than a nice spicy hot green chile stew on a cold day (yes, it does get cold in LV, relatively speaking )

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Cathy

Cathy give me your phone number so i can Drop in for Lunch sometime to taste and exchange chili Recipes. Nobody loves chili more then me. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-15-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
yup...kind of a loaded question on a NM forum

i think i would always choose the green, although i would never turn down a bowl of good red chili (i know everyone has their own opinions on nomenclature, but to me the fruit (red or green) is always chile regardless of if it is raw or prepared; the texas-style is always chili).

a big reason for my choice is that being native NM i grew up w/ chile/posole/stew/etc. when i moved away, i couldn't find good chile (IMHO) anywhere, so i built up a longing for it (really pissed me off when i moved to LA and could only find Anaheim, even at the farmer's markets). could always make chili from chile powder (NM of course), but couldn't ever get the taste of the fruit from a powder.

ugghh...so hoongry right now just thinking about all the nonsense i am going to cook up. can't wait for it to cool off here (couple months away) so i can really enjoy a good bowl of NM. oh, i will cook it and eat it up while it is still scorching here...but few things are better to warm you than a nice spicy hot green chile stew on a cold day (yes, it does get cold in LV, relatively speaking )
Well, regarding chile vs chili....to me, chile is the green or red pod and things made from it.

Chili is the bowl of red made with beef, spices and red chile! I make my own chili with either fresh red chile pods, powder or dried red chile pods, depending on what I have on hand. The best chile powder I have ever had was ground from my own home-grown NuMex Sandia and 6-4 pods.

One thing I have found that is very good.....since you are a NM native, you might know of Bueno Foods. They have both frozen red and green chile in most major markets. I have made a bowl of red from Bueno foods red chile puree that is just really good! Ditto sauce for red chile enchiladas!!

Las Vegas, Nevada gets just as hot or hotter than Texas. I see that y'all have had recent temps as high as 105/107....*whew.*

I lived in Midland, TX, for 30 years....and they have already reached 110+ this summer. That is just horrible, so I'll quit complaining about the couple of times this summer that Alamo has gotten over 100, LOL!!

Right now, I'm ready to migrate to WY.........

Old 08-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Cathy give me your phone number so i can Drop in for Lunch sometime to taste and exchange chili Recipes. Nobody loves chili more then me. pintada kid at webtv.net
LOL!! You're a long way from Alamo, PK.....but I have enjoyed your tips!!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, regarding chile vs chili....to me, chile is the green pod and things made from it.

Chili is the bowl of red made with beef, spices and red chile! I make my own chili with either fresh red chile pods, powder or dried red chile pods, depending on what I have on hand.

One thing I have found that is very good.....since you are a NM native, you must know of Bueno Foods. They have both frozen red and green chile in most major markets. I have made a bowl of red from Bueno foods red chile puree that is just really good! Ditto sauce for red chile enchiladas!!

Las Vegas, Nevada gets just as hot or hotter than Texas. I see that y'all have had recent temps as high as 105/107....*whew.*

I lived in Midland, TX, for 30 years....and they have already reached 110+ this summer. That is just horrible, so I'll quit complaining about the couple of times this summer that Alamo has gotten over 100, LOL!!

Right now, I'm ready to migrate to WY.........
try recent temps of 112+F....and i remember when i used to think driving down to ABQ was hot (i'm from northern NM). funny thing is you get used to it...only really bothers me now when it is humid here (hahah....and that is funny also....20% = humid here...spent many years in places w/ >90% and over 90F...NEVER again!).

we have the same definition of chile vs chili. i survived on dried red NM pods (can always make a caribe sauce) and powder after i moved away, so i am familiar w/ the techniques (although i never have used fresh red). and i couldn't find bueno until i moved back to the west (i spent many years in the midwest). but i agree....it'll do when you don't have your own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico