Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,897,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
try recent temps of 112+F....and i remember when i used to think driving down to ABQ was hot (i'm from northern NM). funny thing is you get used to it...only really bothers me now when it is humid here (hahah....and that is funny also....20% = humid here...spent many years in places w/ >90% and over 90F...NEVER again!).

we have the same definition of chile vs chili. i survived on dried red NM pods (can always make a caribe sauce) and powder after i moved away, so i am familiar w/ the techniques (although i never have used fresh red). and i couldn't find bueno until i moved back to the west (i spent many years in the midwest). but i agree....it'll do when you don't have your own!
Well, even after 55 years of really hot weather in TX, I'm sick of it. I have been in 115 in Texas, and it's not any more fun there than it is in NV.

I can't even bear to go outside now, and I can't wait for winter. I hear you on the 90% humidity and heat together....I worked in MS/LA.....and I thought I was going to die. I never did acclimate, even after 6 months. All parts of TX other than West Texas/Panhandle can reach that level of humidity. No, thanks!!

I'm looking at properties in SF, but I imagine it will be far above what I want to pay. Every high-elevation place near Alamo, while beautiful (as Alamo itself is) has several drawbacks. Timberon, Cloudcroft, Laborcita Canyon, Ruidoso......there are things about each that I just really don't like, and things that I love about each, but I don't know about living in any of them all year around.

I want away from humidity AND summer heat. I can tolerate dry better (since I grew up in relatively dry WT), but the older I get, the worse I hate this hot summer weather.

Thank God for refrigerated air. If energy were not so expensive, I'd keep my thermostat set at 70-72 as opposed to 76.

Hot chile is cooling.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,982,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, regarding chile vs chili....to me, chile is the green or red pod and things made from it.

Chili is the bowl of red made with beef, spices and red chile! I make my own chili with either fresh red chile pods, powder or dried red chile pods, depending on what I have on hand. The best chile powder I have ever had was ground from my own home-grown NuMex Sandia and 6-4 pods.

One thing I have found that is very good.....since you are a NM native, you might know of Bueno Foods. They have both frozen red and green chile in most major markets. I have made a bowl of red from Bueno foods red chile puree that is just really good! Ditto sauce for red chile enchiladas!!

Las Vegas, Nevada gets just as hot or hotter than Texas. I see that y'all have had recent temps as high as 105/107....*whew.*

I lived in Midland, TX, for 30 years....and they have already reached 110+ this summer. That is just horrible, so I'll quit complaining about the couple of times this summer that Alamo has gotten over 100, LOL!!

Right now, I'm ready to migrate to WY.........
Yeah, that's how I take the 'i' and 'e' on the matter. The 'i' means it's mixed with other items into a salsa of sorts, whereas the 'e' obviously means it's straight or mixed with something mild in the way of pure oil or straight meat, curd, etc. (i.e., anything that emulsifies and gathers the capsicum matter into a luscious cocktail of sorts).

My parents live in Vegas now, and it is hot as hell in the climatic sense. Still, if you know where to find NM cookin' as it's done here, I'd be obliged to take notes. I just avoid Mexican and Southwestern stuff there 'cause I am spoiled. You hit up anywhere in Hatch, let alone many a place in ABQ and SF for a breakfast burrito, and there's not even a slight competition once you hit up Vegas, even with all it's wonderful options, especially in the Summerlin area. I tend to just go Italian, Chinese, or Japanese in Vegas, 'cause at least they got great shipping and chefs. BADA BING!!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:16 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,418,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Yeah, that's how I take the 'i' and 'e' on the matter. The 'i' means it's mixed with other items into a salsa of sorts, whereas the 'e' obviously means it's straight or mixed with something mild in the way of pure oil or straight meat, curd, etc. (i.e., anything that emulsifies and gathers the capsicum matter into a luscious cocktail of sorts).

My parents live in Vegas now, and it is hot as hell in the climatic sense. Still, if you know where to find NM cookin' as it's done here, I'd be obliged to take notes. I just avoid Mexican and Southwestern stuff there 'cause I am spoiled. You hit up anywhere in Hatch, let alone many a place in ABQ and SF for a breakfast burrito, and there's not even a slight competition once you hit up Vegas, even with all it's wonderful options, especially in the Summerlin area. I tend to just go Italian, Chinese, or Japanese in Vegas, 'cause at least they got great shipping and chefs. BADA BING!!
preaching to the choir here. LV has a ton of great food, but nothing really to satisfy the green chile craving...really, i have never found it anywhere outside of the NM border (occasionally in soCO..i assume also in eaAZ and wTX). there is a garduno's here, but i never really ate there in NM, so i don't have really high hopes for it (locals w/ NM experience give it a decent, but not great).

i don't think the mexican here is bad...but it ain't new mexican. had some decent mole the other day, and i know a place for really good campechana and cerveche...thankfully right near my place and affordable.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post

I have never been to Vegas, so I don't know what the food is like......but I understand about not getting what you're used to.

But Alamo's strong suit is NOT its restaurants, so I do a LOT of cooking at home, much more than usual, because with very few exceptions, there aren't very many good ones here, though I haven't tried them all.

So...I'm pretty spoiled myself, but fortunately, I can get good ingredients to make my own!!

Old 08-16-2008, 04:36 PM

775 posts, read 2,590,127 times
Default Me and My Dogs

I dont like to eat in Restaurants because usually the cooking isnt very Good. Santa Rosa N.M. has the Best Mexican Food places of anywhere in N.M. Albuquerque and Santa Fe some have good Mexican Food along with Las Vegas N.M. It doesnt take me long to cook up a Good Meal from Scratch and Make Beans in the Pressure cooker and Rue some Red Chili and fry some meat and potatoes and Veggies and the left overs i save for Breakfast in the Mornings. No Breakfast in the World Compares to a Couple of Eggs over Medium with Potatoes and Meat and Freshly Roasted Green Chili and Dont Forget the Garlic for the Green Chili everyone forgets the Garlic and its the most important part of eating Green Chili or Red unless you have high blood pressure because of the Salt in which case eat some Rattlesnake Meat. P.S. My Dogs help me eat all that food i cook since i live alone. TIP after i cook my Food i use Dog food to put in the Cast iron pan and i mix the Dog food with the meat and stuff at the bottom of the pan and the Dog food works like Sandpaper to Clean the Bottom of the Pan and my dogs love it. Oh i know dont feed them Table Scraps but all my Dogs live to be over 10 to 15 years old. And its a Shame to Throw food away if i can get use out of it even for Mulch in a Garden. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,982,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
preaching to the choir here. LV has a ton of great food, but nothing really to satisfy the green chile craving...really, i have never found it anywhere outside of the NM border (occasionally in soCO..i assume also in eaAZ and wTX). there is a garduno's here, but i never really ate there in NM, so i don't have really high hopes for it (locals w/ NM experience give it a decent, but not great).

i don't think the mexican here is bad...but it ain't new mexican. had some decent mole the other day, and i know a place for really good campechana and cerveche...thankfully right near my place and affordable.
Hmmm... where is the good mole in Vegas? Even here, mole tends to be a "special" menu item, and it seems to be rather obscure at places that are priced for regular visits.

As for Gardunos, ditto. Sometimes they've had great service and well-cooked food, but other times, frankly quite awful. Going there is enough of a gamble to the extremes, I only go for them at the Albuquerque Sunport when I'm waiting for a plane to arrive or depart, as they're the best option if you have time for a sitdown meal. If they could consistently have their good days, it'd be a great place and I'd go a lot more often. Of course, around here you can easily do better than their best days at MANY places.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,615,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You are very, very sadly mistaken. Your ignorance is showing again.

I could beat YOUR arse off with roasting and cooking with it, too.

I bet you haven't grown 20-25 different varieties over the years from raw seed as this Texan has, either....and knows one from the other.

I can cook a Texas-style bowl of red.....as well as a NM-style green chile stew...that you couldn't even come close to matching.
O.k, typical Texans. If you live here now, I don't consider you a Texan anymore. You have been indoctrinated.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,656,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
O.k, typical Texans. If you live here now, I don't consider you a Texan anymore. You have been indoctrinated.
And we long time New Mexicans won't hold it against you that you are from Minnesota as all are welcomed to our state be it Texans or Minnesotans .

Old 08-18-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
You may not consider me a Texan, but once a Texan (which usually means native-born, as I am), always a Texan. I'm a transplant to NM who probably knows as much or far more than most New Mexicans about green and red chile....LOL!! What knowledge I have......I had before I moved.

I certainly felt at home in Ruidoso..........and got some decent Mex food to boot.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM

99 posts, read 456,299 times
Actually, Chili is the plant, or spice, with or without beans, red or green, and Chile is the country in South America, as in the Republic of Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico