Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
I think I
can safely cross Clovis off the list as I've heard a lot of information that I
don't find favorable in my case but it could be just fine.
I'd personally check them both out and not choose a town/city just from someone elses experience good or bad as your take could be different.

That being said i think long time City Data poster Clairz has posted many great things and photo's about Clovis on here. While Roswell is larger at 50,000 population compared to Clovis at 30,000 and has more shopping and a bigger hospital it is not less expensive but more as most the rentals are all taken by the FLETC personel in Artesia. I personally researched Roswell and Clovis rentals reciently and could not find any in Roswell and yet found many 1 BR apts starting at $300 a month in Clovis. Watching the local news down here for Southeastern NM which is KBIM 10 with anchor Kim Strecklein out of Roswell and i'm surprised to see so much violent crime reported by them as it's almost nightly.Again i'd visit both cities and see where your heart fits on them.

I know for me in Southeastern New Mexico it's Alamogordo and the Sac mountains as they are awesome to look at so close at over 10,000 feet tall and go back 45 miles but again we're all different in our take of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
growing up in Portales, Roswell was always known as having alot of crime, its not as bad as it use to be though. I would still say Farmington has and offers more even though its smaller.

I went apartment hunting in Clovis 3 years ago and I seen a few dumps but of course you gotta pay more $ money for something better, alot of the apartment complexes are really old in Clovis and never had any reason to really build any since the town has been so stagnant for many many years. I use to go to Clovis weekly since I only lived 19 miles away, I know that town pretty well, if you want a variety of shopping you will have to go to Lubbock or Amarillo,TX which are both about 1 1/2 hours away. Clovis has a really small mall and Wal-Mart and some dollar stores are the local shopping stops. Just watch out if you do consider Clovis cause they know with the base people comming in they can charge whatever they want, I have family members in Clovis and Portales paying near what I pay for an apt in ABQ and mine has alot more amenities and is newer. In my opinion Clovis is one of the ugliest towns in NM, but some of the neighborhoods are pretty with brick houses and green grass, the same goes for Roswell.

Some people dont have much good to say about Farmington but others love it, its one of those things you gotta decide for yourself, I prefer not to live there but like I said for some people its a perfect fit and shopping is so much better---2 Wal-Marts,Target,Sams Club a good-sized mall,Petco,Best Buy,10 screen movie theater,a nightclub

If it were me I would probably look into Alamogordo, better scenery and a little bigger than Clovis, or you could pick Sunland Park which is just South of Las Cruces and just accross from El Paso.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
I really appreciate all the response to my thread regarding roswell or clovis.
I'm in Roswell at this time and it certainly has it's pluses and I can see
some of the not so great things. I think that I will check out Alamogordo
before I do any serious moving. I like the size of Roswell but so far
I'm not so sure about the medical. Guess I should drop by the hospital
tomorrow and see what it is like. I will say that shopping is much
better in Roswell than what I thought I might find. If I move I
would want to buy and not rent but I do not need a really
large place. Many times small means in the poor section of town
where crime could be worse. I do like the quite nice art museum
here in Roswell and I'm not sure how such a small town could
pull it off. Must be more money here than I thought. I might check
out Farmington but it's really out there far away from anything but
so is Roswell. Clovis is fairly near Amarillo which is about 240,000 population.

Thanks again for all the input.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I'd personally check them both out and not choose a town/city just from someone elses experience good or bad as your take could be different.

That being said i think long time City Data poster Clairz has posted many great things and photo's about Clovis on here.
I certainly agree with Harry. Don't rule any place out without spending some time there.

You can see the Clovis photo albums I've posted by clicking one of the symbols under my name (above).

~clairz

Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,293 times
Thumbs up To Clairz

clairz, those are some amazing pictures, Houses and Flowers are my favorite

Thnx.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
clairz, those are some amazing pictures, Houses and Flowers are my favorite

Thnx.
Thank you, Dodo. I've just posted a new photo album of the Hillcrest Zoo in Clovis. Just click on the icon under my name, above.

~clairz

Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 PM

153 posts, read 541,222 times
Don't forget Portales, if you want the college and small artsy scene. Its definitely safer and a lot more educated per capita than Clovis and Roswell. The Portales Public Library is a nice small facility and ENMU's Golden Library is a major national library depository. There is supposedly a small Barnes and Noble on campus and a huge Internet book seller somewhere in town too. The university itself offers countless classes, from accounting to yoga, concerts, plays, sports events etc. Portales has two PBS stations broadcast from a brand new digital PBS and NPR center and sound stage. There is a fiberoptic cable in every alley in Portales for super high speed Internet. Two or three famous artists and photographers live there, and a bunch of young bands (check You Tube). Portales has a developing arts district on Main Street, downtown movie house and farmers market, a couple of galleries, Asian and Mexican restaurants, a new poetry and import gift place on Avenue C, a few upscale and funky women's clothing stores, Seattle coffee house (Do Drop Inn) and a Super Walmart, but Dillards and Lowe's are a 20 minute drive (Clovis). Lubbock is about 90 minutes, and has all the urban goodies, like Super Target, wine bars, lifestyle malls, Buddy Holly (Depot) entertainment district, French restaurants, etc.

Last edited by New West 2020; 08-20-2008 at 11:31 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Where are the Museums in Roswell besides the UFO museum also where is the Internet Cafe in Roswell and how do they work or Charge? pintada kid at webtv.net
I have no clue i havent been to Roswell in quite sometime, i was talking about Espanola.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:25 AM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
Roswell does have two really good art museums. One is the Roswell city
art museum on main street and the other is the anderson contemporary
art museum. I have been in many large city art museums which I expected
to be good but I have to say that I was impressed with the smaller and
lower budget museums in Roswell. I will have to visit Clovis on my next
visit as well as portales but I'm finding that I get bored living in a small
town unless there is a larger city nearby. If Amarillo was only 45 miles
from Clovis then it would really be a town that I would take a serious
look at. Also Clovis is a military town and if the base ever does close
down I would imagine it would have a very negative affect on the town.
It would be great to be once again around academia in Portales. I
wish that I had been able to take the time to make the trek over to Clovis
but I will come and see it and Amarillo next month.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:22 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Roswell has a Roswell Museum at Main St & 11th (about 1mi north of the UFO museum). Hard to miss if you're coming in from the north. There's also Goddard Planetarium, Southwest Dairy Museum, and more.

Internet Cafe is at 209 N Main St, up about a block N and across the street from the UFO museum. Not sure about the usage system, but as I recall just popping in to check email was very cheap. Nothing like having a decent web-capable phone to make the internet cafe kinda pointless, so I haven't been back.

Roswell's prices are for some reason a bit inflated. Even though the gas comes from near here, and the milk is local, everything's just a bit more expensive than it seems like it should be. Gas is still in the $3.90's here (ABQ was checking in in the $3.40 range) and I understand a fair bit of it comes from taxes. Milk was over $4 a gallon pretty much everywhere I looked here, and it's not uncommon to get it for only $2.50 in ABQ at Smith's. I think they milk (no double entendre intended) the retirees who flock here.

Housing prices in Roswell are potentially very affordable. The old base housing (never seen so many boarded up houses) can sometimes run under $30k for a 3/1 house, but much of the time, these houses lack things you'd expect, like, say, wiring, or, plumbing, which are missing. Great if you're a handyman-type person and you like fixing up your retirement home the way you like it (presumably including the above).

I don't think I've ever found a part of NM as uninterested in ABQ as Roswell. They have daily nonstop service to DFW but no service to ABQ, and the 3+ hour drive makes places like El Paso and Midland/Odessa just as, if not more, interesting. Plus, there's more to look at in those directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico