Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,331,053 times

Advertisements

Do you mean like cars? range rovers? TeeHee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Looking at the color of the water and the abundant debris along its banks I don't think I'd WANT to take a plunge into that turgid mess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:10 PM

Question Warning Taken Seriously No Rights of Freedom of Speech and Press

well, shoot, I can't write about stories I've seen in newspapers becuase the Sierra County newspaper had a big ad in their rag stating it was copyright infringement to write or post on the web any stories they've printed.
Other than a group attempting to recall the mayor and the Sierra Vista Hospital resignation, pretty much nothing happened last week, no stabbings, no shootings, nobody disgruntled? darn those copyright folks.
I can give a 'first hand' account of the weather though. It's been mediocre here. with all the gray clounds swirling around the soup bowl here in T or C, ya never know when it's going to rain or what? better bring your poncho to the Elephant Butte Festivities though, if you want to stay dry. The July 4th. festivities at Elephant Butte drew more than 100,000 visitors, and the labor day weekend may attract more than that, since it's the 'end of summer'. keep your powder dry, just in case, bring your rain slicker......be prepared. please watch your alcohol consumption and leave your drugs at home, because I'm sure the local PD will be looking for that.
In other than local news, I got this straight from the horses mouth now...the upper and lower scorpion campgrounds in the Gila National Forest are off limits after sundown because of localized flooding danger!,
ah-ha, I got this 411 from the ranger's office in T or C, na na na!! beat 'em to the punch on that story!
Stay tuned folks! there's more, or less to come. the Elephant Butte baloon fest is right around the corner

Old 08-31-2008, 01:03 PM

717 posts, read 1,957,532 times
Sorry, highdesert, but Hawai'i forever spoiled me for water activities. The Carib is pretty special too around the Bahama's with H2O clarity approaching 200' at times!!! Can't ever match that in a typical reservoir I don't think. Lake Tahoe is mighty clear though for fresh water! I was stunned by how beautiful that lake is. We will take the Butte in lieu of the ocean, however, because we must these days.

Keep us posted on the balloon fest, pal. My son-in-law obtained his Commercial Balloon Pilot's license in NM and balloons frequently, mostly in the north west. I've yet to go aloft with him. He claims he'll one day launch from our land in TorC...we'll see.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 PM

51 posts, read 112,339 times
Well I have a tidbit to add here. Yesterdays storm was a bad one. There was some flooding in the Las Palomas area, damage did occur. For us, it was confined to washing away our field full of alfalfa. (as well as our neighbors up and down the creek) For others the damage was much more severe, and my thoughts are with them.

The word I got was that farther down the creek some people were even evactuated. Palomas creek came over the banks yesterday evening, and there was 2 to 3 feet of water possibly more in some areas. The creek itself had to be running 12 feet or so to be able to jump the bank.

Hopefully nobody got hurt, and also hopefully the monsoon season will be done with soon.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Sierra County Floods

I picked through the local newspaper this week, and you're lucky sturgis, you all did get a lot of rain out your way, probably more than you all can use. I also read that some evacuations took place too, as you've reported. hopefully, things are returning back to normal for you residents, can you give us an update as to any loss of life, injuries or property damages? good post by the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
Well I have a tidbit to add here. Yesterdays storm was a bad one. There was some flooding in the Las Palomas area, damage did occur. For us, it was confined to washing away our field full of alfalfa. (as well as our neighbors up and down the creek) For others the damage was much more severe, and my thoughts are with them.

The word I got was that farther down the creek some people were even evactuated. Palomas creek came over the banks yesterday evening, and there was 2 to 3 feet of water possibly more in some areas. The creek itself had to be running 12 feet or so to be able to jump the bank.

Hopefully nobody got hurt, and also hopefully the monsoon season will be done with soon.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 PM

51 posts, read 112,339 times
As far as I know, only 1 house actually took damage. I haven't spoken to the owner directly, but word of mouth is that the house is now unlivable.

Based on the depth of the water in the yard (deep enough that a 4x4 ford truck was pushing a bow wave) it had to be 2 to 3 feet deep inside the house.

Other than that, some hay was destroyed, if anything else major happened it hasn't reached my ears yet.

I've been trying to figure out how to help, but with my own personal circumstances am not sure yet how to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I picked through the local newspaper this week, and you're lucky sturgis, you all did get a lot of rain out your way, probably more than you all can use. I also read that some evacuations took place too, as you've reported. hopefully, things are returning back to normal for you residents, can you give us an update as to any loss of life, injuries or property damages? good post by the way!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Default The Rains Came

The rains came again last (09/07/2008) night in T or C, and I'm sure the highway departments are all busy today shoring up some roads that might have washed out. It seemed like it was coming down in bucketfulls. I spoke too soon in one of my other posts about the monsoon season being over for this area, and I apologize for being optomistic!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 AM

I hope there is something left of the road to my property; Cuchillo Creek Rd. It looked pretty bad in August when last we visited, it's probably worse now. Will need a load of large stones to shore up a corner of my land as well...near a flood zone.

Last edited by dracul; 09-10-2008 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Washouts aplenty

Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Cuchillo Creek Rd??

hey there,
are you speaking of county roads CO25, BO73, or the un-named road further up hwy 52 from cuchillo? my wife and I were going to take a drive up that way this coming monday. how far is your place from where the water man bill lives? oh yeah, we got pounded again by storms again, the night before last night (09/09/2008) and according to weather channel statistics, we picked up at least another 3/4" of rain. very cloudy and stormy looking around here today. you should live in a travel trailer when the storms come thru here, it's then when you realize the roofs on these things are paper thin! hee hee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
I hope there is something left of the road to my property; Cuchillo Creek Rd. It looked pretty bad in August when last we visited, it's probably worse now. Will need a load of large stones to shore up a corner of my land as well...near a flood zone.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 PM

The property is along the road used by Bar2 aggregates. The outfit is right past our little access road. Right above our land are two custom adobe-style homes owned by out-of-state absentees. Nice area but the road is an axle smasher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico