Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:26 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times

Advertisements

In the past week, or two.
Bridge parts were being hauled to a road which leads to the Spaceport. Information we have is that the bridge girder was 128 feet long, and weighed 100,000 pounds. now that's what I call a big load. GPK Media: Newspaper Publisher, Radio Broadcasting
Police are still investigating the shooting death of a middle-aged woman here in T or C. Details are at best sketchy. read about it in the Herald. Home

http://www.heraldpub.com/news.pdf
Enjoy our heatwave here in New Mexico!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Traffic Stop Nets DUI Arrest

Last week, the supervisor of our local state park (Elephant Butte) received a citation for operating a vehicle while intoxicated. After given a test, it was found she was well over the legal limit of intoxication allowed by the state.http://www.heraldpub.com/news.pdf

Old 01-30-2009, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Intoxication only matters when their breath becomes flamable. Methinks the supervisor needs AA.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Say No To Driving While Intoxicated

Maybe so. Anyone who is over twice the legal limit, as was this person, should have had someone drive her home. She not only put herself at risk and may not be able to continue doing her job if convicted, but she put the general public at risk as well.
I pull a cork once in awhile, but do so at home, and do not operate a vehicle after doing so.
In the old days, people who would drink and drive were sometimes given a pass by police departments, or made to park their cars and get a free ride home by police departments, but, not any more, the tolerance for people driving while intoxicated is now nil and not acceptable under any circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Intoxication only matters when their breath becomes flamable. Methinks the supervisor needs AA.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,303 times
I've enjoyed reading this from the start mutz! Thanks for posting

Old 01-30-2009, 09:18 AM

Thank you!
I've tried to be cautious about not typing word for word verbatim so as not to infringe on copyrighted material, but also to be truthful and honest in posting, so much of which we find very little of these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
I've enjoyed reading this from the start mutz! Thanks for posting

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Default T or C News Updates

Elephant Butte Superintendent Arrested On DWI - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque (http://www.koat.com/news/18568886/detail.html - broken link)

SouthCoastToday.com: America's weird town names

KRDO.com Colorado Springs, Pueblo - Weather, News, Sports - Family Says Fort Carson Soldier Killed in Action

T or C mourns soldier killed in Iraq

Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Default It's Official

As I stated in another thread, our IGA Grocer has gone out of business. An IGA representative says Walmart is to blame.

We used to love the bargains found at our local IGA, it's a sad day for T or C.

http://heraldpub.com/news.pdf

I have heard that the owner/s of the shopping center where IGA is, that other stores in the mall have had their lease/rental rates raised. The Dollar General Store is now paying $500.00 more per month. Radio Shack, Burkes Outlet, Subway, White Sands Credit Union, and the New Mexico DMV have probably seen or will see increases in their leases/rents too.

In other news, we'll be dropping by the O'Reilly auto parts store tomorrow or Friday and snapping a few pics and posting them. The building is still under construction.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 04-01-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am afraid you can kiss that mall and all the stores goodby. Wal-mart strikes again. Only the DMV will be left.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM

I am inclined to agree with you.

Burkes Outlet Store used to receive the foot traffic from IGA shoppers, and now with their rental fee going up, they'll either relocate, or fold up.

In between the Dollar General and the DMV, there used to be a coin-op laundry, the laundry relocated near Williamsburg with bigger and more expensive machines about a year ago. Presently, it's the only self-serve laundromat in town.

Three years ago, we revisited our hometown in wisconsin, and there we saw malls of similar sizes where grocery stores had been and were then gone. It was like a ghost mall, with only maybe two to three stores still hanging on. Which is probably what you've already eluded to in your post.

This is strange. After we arrived here in T or C several years ago, we have seen littles guys try to start small shops in the downtown section, and they've gone too.

After speaking with locals who have been here for many years, they claimed you couldn't even get the oil changed in your vehicle 25 years ago!

Also, when we arrived here, there were two auto parts suppliers established. In just three short years, we'll now have 4. NAPA just built a new store, and now O'Reilly's store is nearing completion. Do we honestly need 4 auto parts stores here in T or C? I think not. What we really, really need is another self-serve laundry, so the one we have isn't "the only game in town".

Well, after the shopping mall lies ghostly after all renters have pulled out, I'm wondering how long it will remain vacant before it's finally razed? 5 years? 10 years?

I'd rep you gregW for your welcomed comments, but it won't let me.

Oh, I don't know if this means anything, but Whitehead Chevrolet used to have a lot full of new and used cars and trucks, but now, there's only a handfull to choose from.

Maybe hard economic times are finally hitting Sierra County?
mutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am afraid you can kiss that mall and all the stores goodby. Wal-mart strikes again. Only the DMV will be left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico