Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:08 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times

Advertisements

Anybody have a favorite local dealer?

I think that's what I'll get my mother for her birthday.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,653 times
Talking Horse Feathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Anybody have a favorite local dealer?

I think that's what I'll get my mother for her birthday.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about:
The Turquoise Shop in Cloudcroft has a really nice selection. Good folks run the place.
Pipeweld

Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks!

(maybe this belongs in the ABQ forum... Cloudcroft may be a bit out of my way for a while)

Old 09-30-2008, 02:49 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
They had some nice pieces at Ortega's Gift Shop in Chimayó - we bought one last week. The prices were very reasonable.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:03 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Beautiful! I shall have to add this to my Christmas list.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Beautiful! I shall have to add this to my Christmas list.
Absolutely. I also like the deep black pottery from the Zuni (I think it's Zuni).

Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Quote:
Thanks!

(maybe this belongs in the ABQ forum... Cloudcroft may be a bit out of my way for a while)
You didn't say in your original post where you were.
In 'Burque I'd suggest Rio Grande Wholesale at 1920 Central Ave, SW. 505-242-3739
They have a considerable wholesale business ( I buy from them for resale) but also sell to the public at what I consider to be very good prices. They stock lots of Pueblo pottery, particularly Acoma, from all the pottery making Pueblos as well as Mata Ortiz pots from Chihuahua, in all price ranges. Though I rarely buy it, they stock a lot of horsehair pots.
I've done business with them for years..nice people, great selection of jewelry and pottery, and nice prices to boot.
Palms Trading Co. is another good spot. I used to buy from the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center but haven't been there for a while so I don't know how selection or prices are there now. Though it's operated by the 19 Pueblos I never found them to be the best for prices but it's still worth a look-see.
When buying Indian pottery it's important to note the difference between greenware (cast pottery that is then hand painted) and truely handmade, which is a lot more expensive for obvious reasons. I think you'll find most horsehair pieces are greenware..fine for decor but not exactly an investment. Ask a reputable dealer and they'll 'splain it to you.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I also like the deep black pottery from the Zuni (I think it's Zuni).
Most of the good black pottery comes from Santa Clara or San Ildefonso Pueblos (home of Maria Martinez, goddess of black pots).
There is also very nice black pottery made at Mata Ortiz, Chihuahua, though the pieces are very different from the Pueblo pots, both in price, style and technique.
The Pueblo pieces tend to be thick walled and often with deeply carved designs and the Mata Ortiz are thin walled, often larger, and rarely incised deeply. Both are painted with matte mineral paints. The Mata pots are almost always signed on the round bottom and if you feel the inside of the thin walled pot you'll feel lots of bumps and creases from fingers pinching the pots into form.
The black pots aren't made from black clay...the black color comes from manipulating the atmosphere around the pot during firing. Some Mata pots are also coated with graphite or similar mineral to get the deep, almost metallic sheen.
Happy shopping!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Thank you for the tips. I will be sure to do alot of research. I want the real deal, and want to be able to know it when I see it.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Am I right about this?

Isn't all the horsehair pottery Navajo?

I have several pieces, all of it Navajo. Which made me think the Pueblo Indians weren't doing horsehair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico