Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times

Advertisements

Question for the resident Los Lunas expert - Arenas, I think your username is.

Where in Los Lunas can you get a fairly new home on at least 1/2 but preferably 1-3 acres? And which areas to avoid? We're looking to drop around $200,000 give or take $25K. Is that doable in Valencia county in a safe area with decent schools? We are relocating to KAFB this year for a four year stay.

We are mostly interested in Edgewood but Los Lunas could be an option if we decide we don't want the drive through Tijeras Canyon in the winter (my spouse will be driving to KAFB each day and I might go back to school at UNM or TVI (oh excuse me, CNMC or whatever they call themselves now...) )

My old college roommate, who lives in Abq, suggested I look at Los Lunas because it is growing. Belen actually looks better to us but it is just too far for me (that extra 10-15 mins kind of puts it over the top) - my husband is still interested in Belen though.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 14,254 times
What you are looking for is certainly doable in Valencia county. Huning Ranch has a housing community right off of I-25 and are building new homes in your price range, though I'm not sure what their lot sizes are or their covenants are. Our area has more shopping, school, entertainment options than Edgewood and would be a way closer drive to KAFB & TVI than Edgewood. I have a friend that lives in this area, which is next to the high school, and it takes him about 20 minutes to get to the gates of KAFB where he works. The schools are about the same as anywhere else in NM, I guess, but they are better than Belen schools.

The only thing that I will say for certain is that you really want to stay out of the East Mesa area (Meadowlake, El Cerro Loop, Manzano Expressway, anything East of 47 is not only crap, it can be dangerous. Ambulances don't even go into the area without police backup because of all of the stuff that goes on up there. Prices are cheap in that area, but there is definitely a reason for it!). That is about the only, truly unsafe area in the county.

I would recommend staying in the Los Lunas area as opposed to Belen (which is where I'm at) as Belen is experiencing quite the gang problem. I have heard that there are more gangs here than there are in Albuquerque and our crime rate is above national average for the population. In fact, I am looking at moving out of the valley, but for different reasons. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-07-2006, 04:47 PM

35 posts, read 237,785 times
Default Los Lunas?

I have seen only a couple of references to Los Lunas in this forum so I'll have to start my own thread. We'd like to find out all we can about Los Lunas, as a possible place to relocate to in a couple of years. We love Albuquerque and originally planned to move there but it's growing fast so we're looking further out. Our children would both be away in college by then so schools wouldn't be an issue. However, we would need to be able to find jobs since we can't retire for quite a while. Is it within commuting distance of Albuquerque? What about the general quality of life, friendliness of the people, home prices, etc.? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:34 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Los Lunas made City Data's list of Top 100 Least Safe Cities. See: https://www.city-data.com/top27.html

The 2001 US average Crime index was 330.8. That same year, Los Lunas's crime index was 910.0. I had a friend who lived in Los Lunas about 15 years ago. She hated it, said it was one of the worst places she's ever been.

City report is here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Los-Lunas-New-Mexico.html

Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,699 times
Kaforeman, you might look at Edgewood. It is a nice and safe small city by ABQ. It is mostly rural yet close to ABQ. There is quite a bit of info on threads posted on the NM forum about Edgewood.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 AM

741 posts, read 2,922,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaforeman View Post
I have seen only a couple of references to Los Lunas in this forum so I'll have to start my own thread. We'd like to find out all we can about Los Lunas, as a possible place to relocate to in a couple of years. We love Albuquerque and originally planned to move there but it's growing fast so we're looking further out. Our children would both be away in college by then so schools wouldn't be an issue. However, we would need to be able to find jobs since we can't retire for quite a while. Is it within commuting distance of Albuquerque? What about the general quality of life, friendliness of the people, home prices, etc.? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Regarding the commuting distance from LL to ABQ: it is definitely in commuting distance. I'd even venture to guess that the majority (or at least half) the working folks that live in LL work in ABQ. But that does put you on the road with quite a few other people at rush hour, and a nasty accident can add 30-45 minutes to your trip. A developing option is the Railrunner commuter train, which should be serving LL and/or Belen by early 2007.

You don't mention what lines of work you're in, but it is also possible that you could find work closer to LL to avoid the commute altogether.

I've lived in Los Lunas, and have friends that live there. It is slower paced than the ABQ metro area and pretty liveable. Many young families are buying homes here, as you tend to get more house/land for your money than you would in ABQ. It has its parts of town that you want to avoid (like most other towns), but it is no more or less dangerous than other towns located nearby.

You may want to check out some of the other communities located south of ABQ, such as Bosque Farms, Peralta or Meadow Lake. (Of these three, Bosque Farms would be my personal preference) These places are a little more rural, but are in close proximity to LL and ABQ so you can still take advantage of the amenities each place offers.

Chap

Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 18,524 times
Quote:
I've lived in Los Lunas, and have friends that live there. It is slower paced than the ABQ metro area and pretty liveable. Many young families are buying homes here, as you tend to get more house/land for your money than you would in ABQ. It has its parts of town that you want to avoid (like most other towns), but it is no more or less dangerous than other towns located nearby.Chap
Los Lunas is 2nd on my list for relocation (following Silver City) - looking at 25 to 30 years left! - and I would like more info on the "parts of town... to avoid." Please PM or email me if you would rather not
post publicly.

Looking forward I see several significant changes and request others' comments as to how they will (or may) affect a retired person's life in Los Lunas:
1. Roadrunner from Belen to Bernalillo in a few months (and in a couple of years to Santa Fe);
2. New bridge across the Rio Grande at Los Lunas and at Belen in 5 years;
3. The buildout of Rancho Cielo (12,000 homes and "city center") west if I-25 between Los Lunas and Belen.

I'm looking for 2 acres minimum, with or without small living structure on it.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post

You may want to check out some of the other communities located south of ABQ, such as Meadow lake

Chap

Whatever you do aviod this place like the plague.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 AM

35 posts, read 237,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Whatever you do aviod this place like the plague.
You mean Meadow Lake? I'm interested to know why you say that (I don't know anything about Meadow Lake).

Old 09-09-2006, 12:36 AM

14 posts, read 75,188 times
I heard that Meadowlake is gang and crime/drug riden? I am planning to move to Los Lunas in December and everyone has told me its the "worst" area of Lus Lunas.. Otherwise Los Lunas seems to be a nice place to live from what I have scene and read... I am excited to move and hoping that my commute down central into ALB won't be that horrible as I have read it can be..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico