Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Poncho - thank you for that information. I've got all I need to educate myself on the Rio Grande River winter flow through New Mexico.

But did you know about the Albuquerque 2009 Great Race Down the Rio Grande, in 2009! I was all prepared to enter in 2010, but it hasn't been repeated:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
I know about it now!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
Default https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-mexico/618405-official-new-mexico-off-topic-chat.html

NM has the potential to be a first class retirement location. Its not as hot as Arizona, the winters are mild. The mountains are great. But, here's a few reasons why people don't like NM. Crime has got to be first on the list. Both AbQ and Santa Fe are sanctuary cities and have lots of illegals there. We used to go there to hike or ski, but no more. It just doesn't look good and things are visually going down hill. I'd visit more often on my motorcycle, as the scenery is terrific, but the crime is just too scary, so I'll go to Co., Arkansas, or stay in Texas instead.

Their tax rates are not competitive to states like AZ or Texas, so retirees will stay away. Yes, jobs are declining, that's true. But its true potential is tourism and being a retirement friendly state, but with the factors I mentioned, seniors will look elsewhere.

I should add that NM does have serious oil potential, (which could mean more jobs) but their drilling regulations make it more expensive than Texas, so the drillers are mostly going elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM

255 posts, read 627,266 times
Agree about retiree potential. We have family that have retired in AZ & TX and they spend a majority of their time inside because it's too freaking hot. Crime is perceived as high in NM and, that is a consistent red flag when we discuss the potential NM has to offer them. Maybe they watched too many episodes of "cops".

IMHO, Tax rates are tough as NM, and many other lower performing states have the option to completely sell their souls to big business through massive tax abatement and incentives to get them here or continue to lose jobs. Once established, they can make further demands through the threat of layoffs or to pull up stakes all together. Ultimately the public pays for it with increased taxes to cover the gaps and potential environmental impact issues. Not a good position to be in.

Texas will pay the price for all of the drilling going on there. I remember the damage the last oil bust inflicted on the state. West Texas was a mess.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,064,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Crime has got to be first on the list. Both AbQ and Santa Fe are sanctuary cities and have lots of illegals there. We used to go there to hike or ski, but no more. It just doesn't look good and things are visually going down hill. I'd visit more often on my motorcycle, as the scenery is terrific, but the crime is just too scary, so I'll go to Co., Arkansas, or stay in Texas instead.
6.114 per 100 people in TX are illegal aliens.

2.022 per 100 people in NM are illegal aliens.

Oh and I disagree that thing are visually doing down hill. In my experience it is the opposite.

Quote:
Crime rate per 1000 residents.

Violent Property Total

AK
4.81 37.54 42.35

NM
5.68 35.32 40.99

TX
4.08 34.72 38.81
Not very much of a difference between 3 of the 4 you listed.

Quote:
I should add that NM does have serious oil potential, (which could mean more jobs) but their drilling regulations make it more expensive than Texas, so the drillers are mostly going elsewhere.
Yeah, we do have restrictive drilling regulations. Though our Oil Rig count has been going up since 2009. About 35 in 2009. A little over 80 in 2012. Of course we can't compete with TX. Nor many any other states.

Some good news on the Oil front.

Quote:
Conference on oil shale scheduled in Farmington
Posted at: 01/16/2013 12:38 PM
By: The Associated Press

FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) - Speakers from major oil companies and the U.S. Department of Energyare expected to participate in a conference on the potential for shale oil production in the San Juan Basin.

The conference is scheduled to be held March 18-19 at San Juan College.

The Farmington Daily Times reports that local officials hope the Mancos Shale, a geologic layer of the San Juan Basin, will be the next big play in oil shale.

Companies are exploring the Mancos Shale, and the Times reports that its potential for production is unclear.

The basin's emphasis has been on natural gas production.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,604,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Crime has got to be first on the list.
Crime rates are pretty high in spots, but there are many places in NM where it isn't bad at all. And it's getting better. The crime index peaked in NM in 1997, and has since dropped ~30%.

New Mexico Crime Rates 1960 - 2011

Nice page here from City Data.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,352,296 times
That looks like it's a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
But did you know about the Albuquerque 2009 Great Race Down the Rio Grande, in 2009! I was all prepared to enter in 2010, but it hasn't been repeated:

Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM

28 posts, read 53,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
You can do that in this example by leaving a larger tip. What you are saying is you wouldn't mind if everybody paid a higher price in order for people to make a living wage. This won't achieve the goal you think because if prices are raised across the board, the person that received the minimum wage raise has corresponding less buying power.
Then we should ban cost of living raises a lot of people get every year or two, if our concern is the diminished buying power of those making minimum wage.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEABttn View Post
Then we should ban cost of living raises a lot of people get every year or two, if our concern is the diminished buying power of those making minimum wage.
amen! my pay has been frozen since 2009 thx to the President and Congress.

a $1/hr would be nice

Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEABttn View Post
Cost of Living raises is a different issue than the Minimum Wage.

I guess some can think up a lot of money issues to complain about. But this discussion is about the Albuquerque Minimum Wage, and that it was raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico