Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times

Advertisements

Boy, is this an old, old thread. Why the resurrection? It ain't drunk, it's dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 30,987 times
Thanks for all of the help and keep up the good work. I think it looks just like that scorpion in the above photo. And where the hell is Steve-O the man!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Teach View Post
And where the hell is Steve-O the man!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Teach View Post
On March 22, 2009 my father found a dead scorpion at his job. He works at a coal mine in the middle of New Mexico and he has never seen one like this. He said he found it on the steps of the main office building. It is very dark in color and about 6 inches long. I have looked up as much information I can about it but I am still not sure where it could have come from. I would like to know everything about it and possibly where it might have come from. My father said it could have come in on a coal train but not sure what do you think? I am a teacher at a local school and I have let everyone see it and everyone is amazed at the size and color. There is no one around who has seen one like this. Please help me if you can!

I am going to try and send a pic of it if I can.
Attachment 38512
How sad. Thats an emperor scorpion from Africa (mainly Togo and Ghana). Probably somebody's escaped pet that couldnt handle the dry air of NM. THeyre a tropical species who requires high humidity and year-round warm temps. Theyre completely harmless, but can deliver a big pinch if bothered (look at those oversized chelae!!!!). Their venom is less potent than a honey bee's and they make excellent pets. If you want a lot of info on them, google Pandinus imperator, thats their Latin name.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 PM

464 posts, read 1,156,975 times
Default Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that was someone's pet, definitely not a native.
pandinus, probably.

they look terrifying, but basically harmless. safer to handle than your average gerbil or hamster, imho.

Ugga, I had confidence in ya! Steve-o backs up what you said first
Love that article too about the Banana spider btw, one thing funny in it- two of the guys disputed one's identification and bite characterization (the writer says). That the Banana spider's venom "it's bite would not be that deadly". Are there different levels of "deadly" LOL Such as partial, just sum, and all the way?? (just kiddin'! LOL) Teasin' just teasin' Couldn't pass that up Good job!

Tia Dalma

Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 30,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Boy, is this an old, old thread. Why the resurrection? It ain't drunk, it's dead.
Take a hike, if you dont like the topic dont put in your two cents. Or you could bring up something interesting to talk about(like your mama...lol just kidding) I am only joking, i am done with the scorpion deal. I got my answers. see ya!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,383 times
Hello! I am traveling to Alburquerque, NM in a week. I searched my computer for the wild life of Alburquerque and I found this! It has helped a lot so far! Thanks everyone!

Steve-o, would you please post some more latin names of NM wildlife? You seem brilliant and I already admire you! Thanks a bunch! ;~)

Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels Miles View Post
Hello! I am traveling to Alburquerque, NM in a week. I searched my computer for the wild life of Alburquerque and I found this! It has helped a lot so far! Thanks everyone!

Steve-o, would you please post some more latin names of NM wildlife? You seem brilliant and I already admire you! Thanks a bunch! ;~)
Welcome to City Data! What types of latin names are you looking for? I really only know some scorpion and snake species, not big on mammals, etc.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Nice pictures. One thing is for sure, if you're bitten or stung, you will be in pain, and you will be one sick puppy. Just watch out for those killer bee swarms.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,929 times
Some individuals just aren't educated or don't expand their education on the subjects. Poison vs. Venom? Big difference! And ALL scorpions are venemous, as are spiders. Spiders' venom is mainly used for disabling prey and to condition the prey for feeding. It breaks down the insides of the prey into liquids so the spider can literally drink! So yeah...you get bit by a spider or stung by a scorpion, there is likely going to be a reaction! Potency and types of venom differ from species to species. Most spider bites will hardly be noticed, except for the few that have potent venom....black widows, brown recluses, hobo spiders, etc. And the reactions can vary from victim to victim. And just for the record, scorpions STING, they don't bite. Well I guess they can bite too but they probably would never get that far on a human, because no matter the species, you're gonna feel it! IT HURTS! It THROBS! It STINGS and BURNS! And anyone can have a reaction to any bite or sting, but the bark scorpion is considered the most dangerous in U.S. . Black widows are EVERYWHERE, but I have noticed that their numbers in visual population tend to vary from year to year. Some years there are tons of them and some years not as many. My question is....are brown recluse spiders native to any parts of New Mexico? I have heard tales but I have never run into one in New Mexico. I was thinking maybe in the eastern part of the state. Anybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico