Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,350,640 times

Advertisements

[
Any advice about the fair? Vendors / teachers to seek out? Ones to avoid?

Thanks![/quote]

I ended up buying from Terra Wools which was funny because we always visit Terra Wools when we stay in Chama each year.

Food was great (lamb of course). I picked up a few recipes on cooking lamb I hadn't done before.

Right across the street from the fair grounds, same side of streat I think the restaurant Michaels is a wonderful fiber school. I will be taking either classes there or at Terra Wools soon. I spin and weave but not to their level.

We stayed at a hotel near the visitors center which is near their super walmart. It was pretty cheap but we were okay. We always rent a cabin at corkins lodge near Chama after several days either in Taos or Santa Fe each year.

Next time we are in Taos, I would love to see or visit those earth sheltered homes just right outside. We past them only and I am wondering if they have a visitor's center. That would be really neat to see how they work. They had all this colorful "stuff" on top of the homes which I am assuming helps with ultilties and not just for show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 AM

194 posts, read 566,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

Acreage/scenery/climate <---- not so important.
I guess it all comes down to your priorities. We are Real Estate investors from Phoenix just looking for a summer home and a relaxing place to enjoy some time with the kids.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:19 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,228,935 times
Naturally.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,755,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
We stayed at a hotel near the visitors center which is near their super walmart. It was pretty cheap but we were okay. We always rent a cabin at corkins lodge near Chama after several days either in Taos or Santa Fe each year.

Next time we are in Taos, I would love to see or visit those earth sheltered homes just right outside. We past them only and I am wondering if they have a visitor's center. That would be really neat to see how they work. They had all this colorful "stuff" on top of the homes which I am assuming helps with ultilties and not just for show.
Hi, Debbie;

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along to my Debbie.

I think we stayed at the same hotel for a couple nights; looks a bit rugged
on the outside, but the rooms had been recently refurbished.

Where are these earth sheltered homes? I didn't notice them on the last visit.

Mike

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM

4,887 posts, read 4,833,957 times
The "earthship" homes are north of Taos, off the grid, in a development across the gorge bridge I think. I haven't perused this entire site, but there may be info here - John Kejr's Taos Earthships.com page - call 1(888)TAOS-HOUSE

All the vendors at the wool festival are OK. It's a well respected show and the vendors must apply to be vetted and selected by the organizers. We've shopped for fiber stuff at Lalana and Weaving Southwest, which are on the opposite side of the road from Kit Carson Park. A tad expensive, but nice. The Bent St Cafe has great sandwiches and the Apple Tree is a nice all around restaurant. The Moby Dickens bookstore is always interesting.

In a couple of hours, we're heading up to the mountains for a few days away from the heat.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
In a couple of hours, we're heading up to the mountains for a few days away from the heat.
Thanks for the info and enjoy your respite!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Thanks for the info and enjoy your respite!
It was 93 when we left Angel Fire 3 days ago.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydog View Post
It was 93 when we left Angel Fire 3 days ago.
Ooops............

At least it ain't Phoenix which the TV said was at 103 this morning...

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Ooops............

At least it ain't Phoenix which the TV said was at 103 this morning...
it was 114 yesterday!! Thank god I was in Albuquerque. However it still seemed hot as hell there too.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydog View Post
it was 114 yesterday!! Thank god I was in Albuquerque. However it still seemed hot as hell there too.
That's one of the advantages of the Westside... the famous "Dry Heat" is drier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico