Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,898,688 times

Advertisements

And...at that, their range is just BARELY within NM's far southern bootheel, so I doubt that what she saw was a Mojave.

It was probably a Western Diamondback.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM

839 posts, read 2,419,431 times
Well, I don't know for sure what your snake is, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is the Mojave rattlesnake. The reason I say this is because I've captured two snakes here in southeastern Colorado which aren't supposed to be here either. They are a small, tan snake with a glossy black head called the Yaqui snake. They are supposed to be native to Mexico, southern Arizona, and parts of southern New Mexico. They are not supposed to be this far north, but compared side by side with the pictures I found online, that is exactly what they are. I'm hoping to capture another one and see if somebody at CSU Pueblo can confirm it's identity conclusively.

I don't want to open a can of worms by mentioning the whole global warming thing, but if the climate is indeed getting warmer, then it makes sense.

As far as dealing with a rattlesnake, if you live in a rural area as I do, then a shotgun loaded with birdshot is your best defense. I NEVER harm a snake except for rattlers which I have an abundance of. Truthfully, if I didn't have small children and dogs, I'd probably just let them be as well.

If not, then keep grass and weeds mowed low and remove objects they can use for shelter from the yard.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,754,872 times
Could it be a black-tailed rattlesnake? Last weekend we stayed in a cabin just outside
the Gila Wilderness Area and we were warned very specifically about them.

Apparently the body color is quite variable.

http://www.sedona.biz/Black-tailed_rattlesnake.jpg (broken link)

More here....

Crotalus molossus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM

9 posts, read 18,277 times
Exclamation Good places to find rattlers here in or by albuquerque?

Does anybody know of a place near Albuquerque where I can find rattle snakes?
to answer some questions yes I am an adult I am 29 I am married I have my own house and I have a license to catch and keep venomous indigenous species. I will study it for a while then I will let it go in the same location I found it

If you have any info email me a_.martinez@live.com

Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,746,510 times
Not the best time of year now, but a few months ago my house was a pretty good place. Young rattler on the porch and a green looking possibly Mojave rattler in my back garden.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 18,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Not the best time of year now, but a few months ago my house was a pretty good place. Young rattler on the porch and a green looking possibly Mojave rattler in my back garden.

what area is it near? if you don't mind

Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,746,510 times
Four Hills, bordering the base.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,408,398 times
Another good place is on the mesa below the volcanoes. There are a series of very shallow arroyos (you can find them by looking for the junipers) that are punctuated by 1-2 foot tall ledges. These harbor a lot of Western Diamondbacks.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM

110 posts, read 366,607 times
Rattlers are plentiful south of Moriarty. I used to live in McIntosh which is about 10 miles south. You really had to keep an eye out. They seem to like it near the dirt roads.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,255,494 times
And in Stanley as well, red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico