Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvettazz View Post
All the comments about NM being a welfare state and the hopelessness I feel from ALL the comments cannot be the only people who feel like this. I love NM having lived in Los Alamos although it was several years ago. The image I have in my heart may not be the same as yours; I am aware of the distinct class lines that exist but there must be those of you who have moderately successful lives and are happy to be where you live. I want to come back home. Where are you?
NM is a poor state. You don't move to NM to make money for the most part- it is a quality of life decision. Don't take this the wrong way, but Los Alamos to me is the least representative town in New Mexico of the state and its culture. Los Alamos is an isolated community, and many of the residents are more educated and paid better than in the rest of the state. So I think if you loved Los Alamos, you would love it again, because I doubt it has changed much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,370,518 times
The negative comments you are hearing are from a few who will never be happy no matter where they live.

If you loved living in NM before, you will still love it now.

I moved here, sight unseen, and I love it here. The only ones who can make me happy or unhappy is me, myself and I.

So come on back to NM. Guarantee you will still love it.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:05 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,753,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
The negative comments you are hearing are from a few who will never be happy no matter where they live.

If you loved living in NM before, you will still love it now.

I moved here, sight unseen, and I love it here. The only ones who can make me happy or unhappy is me, myself and I.

So come on back to NM. Guarantee you will still love it.
Like Alison, the first time Debbie or I had laid eyes on Albuquerque since '72
was when we got off the plane at the Sunport last October and we're VERY
happy here. As a matter of fact, perhaps 10 US expats we knew in Panama
have either resettled here in the last year or are considering doing so which
is a pretty big positive vote on the nature of the city.

I just don't whitewash over issues when people ask specific questions.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,293,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvettazz View Post
All the comments about NM being a welfare state and the hopelessness I feel from ALL the comments cannot be the only people who feel like this. I love NM having lived in Los Alamos although it was several years ago. The image I have in my heart may not be the same as yours; I am aware of the distinct class lines that exist but there must be those of you who have moderately successful lives and are happy to be where you live. I want to come back home. Where are you?
I would not let what people say on a forum make your decisions about this state. You can ask questions and get advice but your the one that has to make your own mind up. To me NM is the greatest place to be.

Come out and spend some time, look around and talk to the people. I bet you can find a place that you can enjoy.

With every place their is good and bad.

Good luck with your journey.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM

475 posts, read 1,268,323 times
A lot of people seem to come on here and ask questions because they are thinking of relocating. That is an important decision and I think we should be honest with people. That means the bad as well as the good. So, maybe I come across as more negative here than I do in ordinary conversation.

For instance -- somebody gets on here and asks -- "I am thinking about moving to Santa Fe. I can't afford private schools -- are the public schools excellent?" How positive are you going to be? The truth is that Santa Fe is below average for the state of New Mexico.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 PM

5,431 posts, read 29,179,495 times
I haven't been discouraged at all from checking out New Mexico. I appreciate everyones opinions and input...I want to hear the good and bad from people who actually live there, not "facts" from some book or website. I brought home lots of info from and around Santa Fe, I have to say that I enjoyed the countryside more than the city itself....I could park myself at Ghost Ranch, and never leave, just wander...but that not being an option...I am open to checking out other places. I already miss the sunshine...haven't seen the sun since I left New Mexico last Saturday...coldest October on record here...

Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,753,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
A lot of people seem to come on here and ask questions because they are thinking of relocating. That is an important decision and I think we should be honest with people. That means the bad as well as the good. So, maybe I come across as more negative here than I do in ordinary conversation.
I agree.

Deciding to uproot yourself as well as possibly an entire family is not a decision
to be taken lightly. If you're already attracted to an area, the chances are pretty
good that you have a decent grasp on the upside so what are you most likely
to be concerned about and need to ask questions about? The possible unseen
or unrecognized negatives that could jump up and bite you.

That's why a lot of people considering a move here basically ask "What's wrong?"
and the locals post negative information. It's what people are asking
for so that they can make an informed decision about one of the most critical
and stressful events in their lives and from where I sit, I think the members
of this board do a pretty good job of passing out balanced information.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:24 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,209,307 times
I don't want to be told that a locale is absolutely perfect for me, only to move there and find that the place isn't at all as it was portrayed. I think I've gotten a lot of good info here. I've been to NM to spend a week or ten days several times, so I have a nodding acquaintance with what it's like (I love it!), but some things you have to learn from the experiences of others. Thanks to everyone who has helped me do so.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,356,323 times
Me too. I like honesty in people.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:58 PM

229 posts, read 656,230 times
I personally love NM and Az. I have always wanted to get out the state i'm in and get out there to where I know that I would feel so much better. But even here in Mo. I don't put negative vibes out for they who want to come here and live may really like the place. It is not my cup of tea, but listen to those on this forum and make up your own mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico