Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I'm all for taking away a parents/child's rights if the kid does not show up to school. How about doing away with NCLB and forcing the kids who do not want to try to actually keep repeating.
great ideas. I am a firm believer education does start at home, the importance of learning is stressed as young at birth..books are read nightly, kids are told how learning can be fun. They are fed well, encouraged to get enough sleep and know the word "NO". They should be taught very young there is consequences for misbehaving or making poor decisions..Too many parents are either absent from the home or emotionally absent. They fail to accept their kids are not innocent. They make excuses.

Unfortunately there are too many families where kids are having kids or mommies, sometimes daddys are not working or dont care. They learn to live off the state...That is why so many think of NM as being a welfare state.

This is where I guess the schools have to step in, but what they can do? I really don't know. Pre kindergarten and head start programs are not successful as the kids start to fall backwards by about 2nd of 3rd grade. The most caring teachers are frustrated, the teachers at the middle school level ofter have their hands tied cause the administration will not back them up...

Well enough for my ranting today, now I will go and make my tomotilla sause or whatever Poncho called...

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The more I read articles such as these, as a parent, and therefore a stakeholder in the educational system, it makes me seriously consider bailing out of here, and relocating to an area where education is more valued. I am not so sure this mediocrity can be reversed in one or two generations. At some point, one must question the overall culture, as it pertains to valuing education, and the ability for children to rise above it, if such an overwhelming majority of families and households seem to have such little regard for learning. Someone mentioned the ditchdigger to doctor ratio. And that's a very poignant observation to be made, if you apply that standard to New Mexico versus other states. I'd venture to say that ratio is higher here than just about any other state, nationally.
Mike, don't do that, what they need are parents like you, concerned ones. I know what you are thinking and saying, but kids have a way of excelling if they want to..

Nita

Old 09-02-2015, 05:34 PM

4,891 posts, read 4,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
So what do you suggest the leaders do?
It's time that leaders at every level start taking education system problems seriously. I can't imagine anyone with school-aged children considering coming here, or a company who employs a lot of those folks moving here, after they investigate results and administration problems here. I'm not sure what the answers are, but what has been considered business as usual in the is contributing greatly to the lack of a business future in the state.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,070,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I can't imagine anyone with school-aged children considering coming here
Multitude of reasons. People that care about their child's education will seek the best education for them. There are plenty of kids being raised in NM and doing very well educationally.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 AM

16,148 posts, read 10,830,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Multitude of reasons. People that care about their child's education will seek the best education for them. There are plenty of kids being raised in NM and doing very well educationally.

Just curious...are you talking about parents seeking out private K-12 education? APS is off the rails for the most part. Rio Rancho is doing better in comparison to APS but what else is there?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,199,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Just curious...are you talking about parents seeking out private K-12 education? APS is off the rails for the most part. Rio Rancho is doing better in comparison to APS but what else is there?
As a parent, I don't consider APS too off the rails for my children (yet).

Private schools here have always seemed subpar to me compared to those you might find in other parts of the country, particularly the religious ones.

If I ever reach the point where my kids are wasting their time in the confines of the school I send them to, I'll start or join a homeschooling co-op.

Merging this back into the main thread, I think public education in this state has very little to do with its economy, at least in terms of its ability to attract and retain medium- and large-scale employers.

Much of the would-be work force has issues with drugs, absenteeism, and general work attitude (which you'll find to varying degrees everywhere both in and out of NM). Whether they're well-educated and useless or poorly-educated and useless makes little difference to me as an employer. The well-educated ones only end up being more expensive if they're useless.

Hearing the same argument from the "book-beaters" or "ruler-beaters", that it's "education! education! that is wrong with this state" makes me stop listening. Would love to see some actual statistics to corroborate the state's public schools with any employer's decision to uproot from or relocate here.

Generally, it's taxes, or greener pastures elsewhere.

On another subject, I really would like our airport bring in an airline to start offering fares to other cities for less than $100 one way on more than the rarest of occasions. It should not cost me $249+ one way to fly to Phoenix or Denver, ever.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,070,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Both public and private. There are plenty of Public schools that put out great students. Parents that care and that are involved are going to seek good education for their kids. They don't see school as a day care as way too many do. They see it as what it is, education. Even schools that most don't see as all that great have great programs and are preparing kids for the future. Albuquerque High School is one example. Atrisco Heritage is another.

Unlike Zoidberg, I have been impressed with many of the private schools around here. My son just started 1st grade at one of the local Catholic Schools. He did attend Kindergarten there also. Before Kindergarten I spent a significant amount of time touring both Public and Private schools. I can confidently say that my decision to send him to the school I chose will give him the greatest opportunity for a superb education. That does not mean that he will stay there all through HS. I will re-evaluate at different times and always will give him the greatest educational opportunity I can. Whether it is Public or Private. I truly believe that is possible here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico