Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 141,343 times

Advertisements

I may look at a job at Durango, CO airport. I have two young kids and cannot afford to live in Durango. Would I be nuts to consider moving to Farmington, NM and commute? How are the roads maintained during the winter months? I'm guessing a 4x4 truck would be ideal for that commute but then I think about the gas expense... (I would be moving from S. California.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,079,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in CA
.... Would I be nuts to consider moving to Farmington, NM and commute?
Yes.

Quote:
.... I think about the gas expense...
Gas is only half the cost of a commute. It's only 1/4th the cost
( give or take ) if your time is valuable and if your time is not
valuable, then you really cannot afford the commute.

Quote:
.... cannot afford to live in Durango.
I read statements like this and read into them things like:

.... cannot afford to live in Durango with the stuff and space that
I have become accustomed to and feel that I deserve to have.

If you cannot put up with downsizing your lifestyle to have a decent
life that doesn't consist of spending huge quantities of your life on
the road, then you cannot afford the job in Durango.

That said, I'd take the job, live in Durango, and live in a "hole" so
you can take the time to truly enjoy what Durango has to offer.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,759 times
^ Pretty much what he said unless the Farmington option somehow affords you free rent or free childcare for your two kids?

Frankly, I am not sure why anyone ( without good reason ) would accept employment in a place that they can not afford to live in. Is the job so low paying that nothing in the immediate area is within your price range?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
About 52 to 55 miles one way, ~100 miles per day, if your car gets 35 mpg (does it?) and gas at $2.50 per gallon, that comes out to about $145 per month in gas, minimum. That is a minimum guess. Wear and tear on your car, your car insurance, About 3 hours per day drive according to google maps. Like Mort said "Gas is only half the cost of a commute. It's only 1/4th the cost ( give or take ) if your time is valuable"

I don't know how the roads are maintained in the Winter time. I have never wanted or needed to know.

I'm not sure why you think "I'm guessing a 4x4 truck would be ideal for that commute". My winter commuting cars for the past 28 years in Germany, Korea, Wash DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania were, Fiat 128, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra Station Wagon, Nissan Sentra sedan, Subaru Station wagon. My GMC Sierra Classic was stuck like a beached whale in my driveway every winter I lived in Pennsylvania. You aren't carrying big payloads or pushing a plow are you? All those vehicles I used were front wheel drive standard sedans.

Rich

Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,759 times
550 can be a b--ch, with packed snow. My parents drove our 4x4 last year to Durango for the weekend and would not have made it out in their Honda Accord.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,651 times
We had some friends visiting Durango who got out 550 in the early part of the recent
snow storm. They witnessed several multi-vehicle accidents in the stretch between
Durango and Aztec, stopping at one really nasty one to see if they could render
assistance (wife's a nurse). If they interpreted the State Trooper's brief remarks
correctly, (they may not have, they aren't US citizens), it was a fatal wreck.

Karma, you know the couple I'm speaking of...

Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 AM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Default Durango/Farmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
550 can be a b--ch, with packed snow. My parents drove our 4x4 last year to Durango for the weekend and would not have made it out in their Honda Accord.
karmathe cat is right, and there are good opinions on this thread, all true.

Thankfully, in spots they have been 4 laning 550, but the state has a LONG way to go on that subject. I go through there a lot, have friends who live south of Durango on 550. The road gets a lot of traffic, particularly heavy truck traffic from the energy companies (Halliburton, Weatherford, etc.), the closer you get to Aztec. Farmington is west of Aztec. The state highway people do a darn good job maintaining the road. But they have their hands full all the time because of the snow. The budget problems Colorado has had, sadly cut into that a bit. They should have 4 laned this before they decided to go full tilt on building more homes.

The real estate prices in Durango are absurd and has been that way for years. Rentals in Durango are real high.

There are alternatives to Durango. Bayfield is maybe 15 miles east of Durango and is cheaper in real estate and rentals, not sure how cheap, though. It's a nice little town. There are mobile home parks north and south of town. The one north of town is fairly close to Hermosa Cliffs, great mountain views, and a nice park (not ALL of Durango is filled with 700k homes). One hitch, if you like the Durango/Silverton train tooting its horn not far from your doorstep! Lots of people like that, though!

The one south of town is up on the mesa off 550. It's ok, not sure of the rates. I think it is around 12 miles south of town. The thing you have going for you is you have a job lined up there. Construction is way down, lots of construction workers on layoff. The energy companies I listed earlier had BIG layoffs in Colorado but Durango wasn't affected by that. Not sure about the situation with those companies in the Bloomfield/Aztec/Farmington area.

West of town is Mancos, I think it's 30 miles west or so. It's ok, not a lot of people live there. Prices there would be cheaper I imagine.

If I were you I would visit the area now because if you aren't crazy about winter, you won't like this place at all. It can really snow in Durango in the winter. There are a lot of mom and pop motels on the main drag, I'm guessing 35 to 40 dollars a night is what they charge for rooms. Some of the motels have 3 room setups with stove and fridge, and there are some students that stay in the motels. Yes, forgot to mention, Durango is home to Ft. Lewis college. The chain motels are a little south of downtown. Visit the area and see if it will work for you.

Farmington is just too far, the road like Mike Horrell said is too dangerous in the winter. It's just not worth it.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-15-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 141,343 times
Thanks for all the helpful info to those who answered my questions! I am very good in a snowy climate... I have lived in northern Canada... no problem driving mountain roads but if they are not kept up it's not worth that kind of commute. I may pass on this job.

Durango doesn't seem like the type of town I'd want to raise my kids in. A resort town with so many transient families... seems like a feast or famine type town that would not have much of a future for my kids when they get older and look for jobs. (I'm guessing it's quite similar to Banff, AB.)

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in CA View Post
(I'm guessing it's quite similar to Banff, AB.)
It's been many years since I was in Banff but I think you're likely to be spot on.

Except that I think Banff is a lot classier...

Old 12-15-2009, 03:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
You should only go there if you really love the idea of being there. Doesn't sound like you're in that place. IRS reimbursement rate is now .50/mile, which is a good guide as to the true cost of driving (gas, depreciation, maintenance, repairs, and insurance). That would work out to about $50 a day or slightly over $1,000 a month at 100 miles round trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico