Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:40 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,632 times

Advertisements

I'm still utterly amazed that they don't ever kill people... for any reason (apparently even mothers with cubs). They are certainly capable, and people have killed plenty of them. Maybe they learned early on that people with guns are much more dangerous than they appear, and they decided it was better to just avoid humans altogether. But how did they manage to communicate this to every wolf on the continent that had never seen a human? Maybe wolves are naturally very cautious and never go after a new potential prey species unless they are sure. Seems like a mystery to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 01:59 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times
There are many reasons for this I'm sure. The average wolf is about 80 lbs. half the size of an average person and generally doesn't attack in the company of one other wolf. Since they generally only attack a running four legged target (usually a sick or young one), they are probably somewhat intimidated by a much taller upright animal on two legs that doesn't run away.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I'm still utterly amazed that they don't ever kill people...
Quoting from the Wikipedia article I cited earlier in this thread:
Quote:
There are numerous documented accounts of wolf attacks in the Asian continent, with three Indian states reporting a large number of non-rabid attacks in recent decades. These attacks were well documented by trained biologists.[36][72] In Hazaribagh, Bihar for example, 100 children were injured and 122 killed from 1980 to 1986.[72] Russia also records numerous attacks, particularly in pre-revolutionary times and after WWII. Between 1840 and 1861, 273 non-rabid attacks resulting in the deaths of 169 children and 7 adults occurred throughout Russia,[139] while between 1944 and 1950, 22 children between the ages of 3 and 17 were killed by wolves in the Kirov Oblast (see Kirov wolf attacks).[140] North America has fewer cases of verified wolf attacks than Europe and Asia. ...However, more aggressive encounters were recorded as humans increasingly encroached on North American wolf habitat.
Much of the information in the Wiki article may have come from a past National Geographic Special on the subject of wolves.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:30 AM

I may have been citing something less accurate when I said there's never been a case of a human killed by a wolf in North America. It does appear to be rare though according to your wiki article. I wonder why so many more elsewhere. Perhaps more encounters and hungrier wolves?

Maybe because I'm a lifelong dog owner they just don't invoke the fear response in me the way a bear or mountain lion does. Not saying this is rational though.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,199 times
I always figured that there was a good chance that there were no reports because
there were no survivors...

Old 12-26-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I always figured that there was a good chance that there were no reports because
there were no survivors...
or even scraps if they're like my dogs.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,772,792 times
As a new mexican teaching up in Alaska, I just wanted to update you all that we just had a young woman, a bush itinerate special ed teacher, who was killed by a pack of wolves at the bush village, Chignak Lake, while she was jogging with headphones on right outside the village.

They have killed wolves that they believe were theses ones. Remember, this is Alaska where they shoot wolves from helicopters.

Her death is a sad, unprecedented incident that has shocked us all.

I have had wolves walk right by me when I was backpacking in Denali National Park, where I have also seen a pack of wolves fighting two grizzlies over a caribou kill. Although a coyote ran me off the trail up an enbankment in Denali, I never had a concern about our wolves, although I have always watched them carefully & have the greatest respect. Until now. Now I have a deeper respect for wolves.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
As a new mexican teaching up in Alaska, I just wanted to update you all that we just had a young woman, a bush itinerate special ed teacher, who was killed by a pack of wolves at the bush village, Chignak Lake, while she was jogging with headphones on right outside the village.
Yes, I read about that. Tragic...

Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 55,817 times
too awesome, where is this place? Thanks for sharing! Great pictures!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summercricket View Post
too awesome, where is this place? Thanks for sharing! Great pictures!
Cricket... this is a "Meet the Wolf" open house that has been put on several
times a year by the Albuquerque Open Space organization..

Open Space - City of Albuquerque

The wolves (there was also a female that decided she'd rather sleep than "talk"
to people... no one argued with her... ) were brought by the Wanagi Wolf Fund
Wanagi Wolf Fund and Rescue

One of the Meetup Groups had a field trip to another rescue organization but
I was unable to go on that trip. Here's a link to the other sanctuary..

Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary - Wolves, Wolf-dogs, Rescue, Education, Sanctuary

Hope that helps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico