Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM

34 posts, read 50,465 times

Advertisements

Wow! I was just visiting there this past weekend and Monday and the weather was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,849,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegastoabq View Post
Wow! I was just visiting there this past weekend and Monday and the weather was great!
It was back to "Great" today...

Rich

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM

923 posts, read 2,422,468 times
It's going back up to 81 tomorrow. Gotta love our crazy spring weather. I can't remember the last time it snowed in April. It's been a LONG time. I remember once (many moons ago) when I was a teenager my friend and I were suntanning at the pool one April day, and the next day it was snowing like a blizzard. It's rare, but it does happen.

I'm not complaining because we really needed the moisture to get us through until the summer monsoons. Last year this time was dry as a bone.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,430,115 times
There's something weird about having your allergies act up when the ground is covered with snow. ;-)

Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,411,845 times
That was nice. We really, really need the moisture.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 AM

69 posts, read 163,770 times
Default When does Albuquerque get its first snow of the season?

I am moving to Albuquerque but still have to sell my home in California. That may not be until late October but I was wondering when the city usually get its first snow of the season? I already bought my home in the North Valley but may have to move my things into the home before it snows and then come back to California to deal with the selling of my home. I just do NOT want to be moving when it is snowing and I DO have to drive through Flagstaff where it snows heavily closing Interstate 40 at times. Any help by Albuquerque residents on this matter would be most helpful since this is stressing me out. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM

963 posts, read 2,304,649 times
You do not need to worry much about driving in snow in Albuquerque. Typically, it snows a less than an inch overnight, and the sun burns it all away by 10 AM the following morning. You may get a very light sprinkle at most in October. Keep in mind also that Albuquerque averages 11 inches of snow for the entire winter season. Flagstaff may see 20 inches in a single snowstorm.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 AM

69 posts, read 163,770 times
Default Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
You do not need to worry much about driving in snow in Albuquerque. Typically, it snows a less than an inch overnight, and the sun burns it all away by 10 AM the following morning. You may get a very light sprinkle at most in October. Keep in mind also that Albuquerque averages 11 inches of snow for the entire winter season. Flagstaff may see 20 inches in a single snowstorm.
Thank you for your reply! I just hope to move in early enough to beat any snowfall. Yes, I am very familiar with Flagstaff and all the snow that city gets each season. And if Interstate 40 is closed in that city, then I would have to take a BIG detour to the south and then back northeast to get to New Mexico. I know that Albuquerque does not get the snow of Flagstaff and Prescott in Arizona and the snowfall usually averages less than 15" annually, though that freak blizzard with HEAVY snowfall around New Year's Day in 2005 or 2006 still shows that anything can happen at any time with the weather in that area. But driving on the icy roads in Albuquerque can be quite challenging and I would try to stay off the roads at that time. I am retired and if the roads are bad, I can stay home.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 AM

963 posts, read 2,304,649 times
I hope you have a safe journey!

Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM

72 posts, read 323,369 times
Barring freak events, There shouldn't be any snow of substance in ABQ until some time in December. In regards to icy weather, the crux of the drive from Southern California to ABQ is usually the area around Flagstaff. The next highest portion of I-40 is over the Continental Divide, between Gallup and Grants. And that's usually better than Flagstaff. So don't worry about ABQ, just worry about Flagstaff. Timing your drive to pass through Flagstaff at mid-afternoon helps.

I've done the drive a number of times and there are several alternates to the straight I-40 route from the LA area. Taking I-10 to Phoenix, then north on I-17 to Flagstaff, then I-40 to ABQ adds only about 35 minutes over the straight route. The other alternate is I-10 to Phoenix, then on to Tucson and Las Cruces, and north on I-25 ABQ, and adds about 90 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico