Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,635,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
We are about 4 miles from pavement and the county road is now impassable (except for a 6x or a tank) and the snow/mud has caused ruts over 18 inches deep.
Should the county do something so the residents can get out for groceries, water, and med's??

I pay taxes and feel that I have the same rights as those in town to keep the roads open for emergencies et.al.

Do you have a similiar problem with your roads.
And NO we WERE NOT TOLD THIS BEFORE MOVING IN....

Thank you, Happy dry trails,

HW
Now would be a good time to get a horse and learn how to ride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
And this is a tidbit someone told me for future reference - if you buy property on a forest service access road, you can have very rural living but with fairly well maintained roads.
The forest service typically does NOT maintain roads on forest properties unless they have a need of their own for doing so. That job is left to the counties. In some cases the forest service will close down roads during the worst winter months if there is no reason to keep them open for access by land owners.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,010,046 times
Exclamation Re: county roads.

#1-I moved here from Northern Idaho...I KNOW WHAT MUD IS...I drove a logging truck in Idaho and had to drive it just before break-up and the roads were terrible..

#2-The road in question is a County road...and the neighbors tell me it is supposed to be maintained at "least" 2X's per year and during the snow season. The adjacent roads are maintained but not a couple other County roads nearby? The culvert's are open and the metal is sticking up and is a hazard for tires. been that way for 4 years.

#3-I do have horses and I know how to ride...but 65 miles to town is not an easy one day trip....and back.

#4-If the County is suppossed to maintain they they should do it.

#5-I have lived "probably" further out than most of you and know what it is like to get to town maybe once a month.

#6-All I am is saying is that the County is suppossed to maintain it and they don't....They have the money per the County Manager at the last Commissioner meeting saying something like the County is doing very very well!!!!

#7-A local resident even takes his tractor out and tries to get the snow off, that in itself is nice, but not legal....so the County just figues ole Joe will do it.

HW

Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
#4-If the County is suppossed to maintain they they should do it.
But you don't know if they have to maintain it or not. I would first check with the county clerk or look up the county ordinances. In my county "Public Works" is responsible for most roads, they are on the county website and they have a number to call regarding road work.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,989 times
Quote:
#2-The road in question is a County road...and the neighbors tell me it is supposed to be maintained at "least" 2X's per year and during the snow season.
Clearing snow is one thing. In your original post you mentioned mud and 18" ruts which take more work to address. That would fall under the 2x per year grading, and I'd guess that the road crews have their hands full with snow... if your weather has been anything like here.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,884 times
HW, I think I would be rattling the county managers chain on a daily basis. If it is a county maintained road then the should get with the program with it. I just got off the phone with our road department about a road they seem to forget. They manage to blade to the end of the pavement and then stop in spite of the fact that the it goes on for another couple of miles. Currently have about 18" of snow on it and I need to get some work trucks out to the ranch.
Good luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:30 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,341 times
Just go out and buy your own.
Fiatallis 65B Road Grader Gear Driven Diesel NO RESERVE - eBay (item 220553740048 end time Feb-15-10 14:24:25 PST)

Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Hombre57 - Good idea but he should then charge the county for the machine and his time.

Hunter - I suggest you get to town hall or the county building (some how) and find out exactly the classification of your road. If the county is obligated to keep it "passable" then ask the county road guy to please do so. Point out that the road should be able to carry emergency vehicles year round.

Here in New Hampshire the towns are responsible for the "town" roads. They range from paved to gravel to goat trail. Most towns plow the paved and gravel but leave the goat trails to the snowmobilers and dirt bikers. Anyone living on a Class 6 goat trail is on their own.

I am interested in finding out what the situation is in rural New Mexico.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hombre57 - Good idea but he should then charge the county for the machine and his time.

Hunter - I suggest you get to town hall or the county building (some how) and find out exactly the classification of your road. If the county is obligated to keep it "passable" then ask the county road guy to please do so. Point out that the road should be able to carry emergency vehicles year round.

Here in New Hampshire the towns are responsible for the "town" roads. They range from paved to gravel to goat trail. Most towns plow the paved and gravel but leave the goat trails to the snowmobilers and dirt bikers. Anyone living on a Class 6 goat trail is on their own.

I am interested in finding out what the situation is in rural New Mexico.
Amost all of the state roads in mountainous areas are not plowed on nights or weekends, forest roads never are, and forest access roads to a property owned by a private party are not maintained, except for by ranchers or you or joe (clearly demonstrated on FR 139) in Cibola, or NM 152 the road from I-25 to Silver City through Gila (night & weekend) thing.

A 4 wheel drive vehicle in NM is just about a necessity, especially if one chooses to "live in the boonies".

Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Amost all of the state roads in mountainous areas are not plowed on nights or weekends, forest roads never are, and forest access roads to a property owned by a private party are not maintained, except for by ranchers or you or joe (clearly demonstrated on FR 139) in Cibola, or NM 152 the road from I-25 to Silver City through Gila (night & weekend) thing.

A 4 wheel drive vehicle in NM is just about a necessity, especially if one chooses to "live in the boonies".
Depends on what part of the state you are in. The road I mentioned a few posts back is a USFS road that leads to private property. It is maintained by the county under a MOU. Most times they hit it when they hit the rest of the area. This last time they had a driver from the flats that did not know to do it.
A quick phone call and they hit it the next day.

As for the state roads, again I think it is where you are.
During snow storms our state road crew is out hitting it hard, hot, and heavy regardless of the time of say. Very seldom do we have a storm and it's more then an hour before the state road dept. is hitting the roads with blades, salt and sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico