Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 27,830 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm a single male in my mid-twenties from South Carolina. My plan is to check out a few towns in New Mexico to see if that is the place I would want to live. Keep in mind I'm just checking some places out. I'm not going to make a big move without a job or anything. I prefer somewhere warm and dry all year round. I'm not a fan of cool weather. I also want a place where there are young, single women my age. Besides the obvious choice of Albuquerque, what town is another good option? Is Las Cruces nice? Anywhere else I should check out? Thanks. I appreciate any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:59 PM

908 posts, read 2,858,616 times
I was thinking Las Cruces as I was reading. Warm weather, NMSU to provide a younger crowd in town. Just not a lot in the way of clubs/nightlife. You need to be into the outdoors and traveling around. If you are, there are plenty of destinations: Organ mountains, White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Mexico, etc. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM

ziaAirmac - Thank you so much for your input. Thanks for a fast response too! I am definitely going to check out Las Cruces.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,236,457 times
Tempe

Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,113,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4CFC
... My plan is to check out a few towns in New Mexico
... I prefer somewhere warm and dry all year round. ...
You would be well served to check them out before February
ends. You'll want to know how cold and wet stuff gets.

In addition to Las Cruces, I'd suggest Tucson and Phoenix,
based on your specs.

Oh wait: you already are looking there ... Arizona

There is nothing wrong with those towns, it's just that
it is too hot for New Mexicans ( or we would live there ).

For a warm weather liker, doesn't mind hot too much,
but hates the cold --
Tucson has the best combination of any city in AZ or NM.

For someone who dislikes cold, but also dislikes hot,
Las Cruces is the best combination of any city in AZ or NM.

Note that implicit in the above, any small town at the same elevation
usually has about the same climate as the cities mentioned.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks mortimer. The hot/cold comparisons you gave for the cities are very helpful.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,624,718 times
Get your climate data here: New Mexico

I wouldn't put Albuquerque in the "warm all year" category... but it's always relative. Las Cruces would come closer to fitting that. Use citydata to find the male/female ratios of various places in your age group. Might consider Silver City also, if a smaller progressive town with an awesome forest and wilderness next door is appealing to you.

The Sierra Vista - Bisbee area of AZ is also worth a look.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,257,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Tempe
I've been in Tempe, AZ over 30 years and I have only seen snow twice and neither time did it stick. We usually get 3-5 freezes per year. You just have to be willing to put up with 110+ degree days in June, July and August. I love it, but we do have a place in Ruidoso to escape to if needed. FYI Tempe has over 20,000 18 to 22 year old females arrive every August to attend Arizona State University. A city of 160,000 people swells during the school year.

Last edited by JDTH; 02-12-2010 at 10:50 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM

7,399 posts, read 19,380,361 times
This is my second winter in NM. Last winter was mild and dry. This winter has been wet and cold with a lot of snow so the weather seems to be changing all the time but I don't think you'll find a better climate than here in the southwest.
I live in a mountain community and not many people if any your age here full time but I would stick with the cities named above.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,868,697 times
Yes, I think you have to define "warm all year" because most of NM isn't real warm all year. If getting down in the 20's at night means it's too cold even if it's up in the 50's and 60's in the day, then NM could be too cold. NM is mild and has a bit of winter or semi-winter depending on what you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico