Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 AM

150 posts, read 317,444 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I am currently researching GOP gubernatorial primary candidates and was wondering if anyone out there knows which of the GOP candidates are truly conservative candidates (tea party or constitutional conservatives)? It is hard to figure out by looking at their web sites. From what I can see, I would guess Turner or Domenci Jr. are the candidtates I'm looking for, but I could be wrong.

Any comments or education on these GOP gubernatorial candidates would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,225,947 times
How old is Turner, 16? Maybe he should spend his money on something else for a few years...

Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM

238 posts, read 635,386 times
Lightbulb Yes Weh

Quote:
Originally Posted by melhoff13 View Post

Hey folks, I am currently researching GOP gubernatorial primary candidates and was wondering if anyone out there knows which of the GOP candidates are truly conservative candidates (tea party or constitutional conservatives)? It is hard to figure out by looking at their web sites. From what I can see, I would guess Turner or Domenci Jr. are the candidtates I'm looking for, but I could be wrong.

Any comments or education on these GOP gubernatorial candidates would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The market for Republicans running for governor is quite saturated this year. However, I have been listening to what Allen Weh has to seh, and he sounds like a nice, rock-solid conservative. Domenici has a great legacy name, but I haven't heard too much about him. I know Janice Arnold-Jones, and she is a nice lady, but I don't know if she can win the governorship. As the days go by, we will weed out candidates and the last man (or woman) standing will hopefully replace and repair all the broken stuff governor Richardson has done to our state.

--BtK

Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Before this turns into a huge political bashing thread, I really would appreciate information on the GOP candidates. Thanks for the info billygoat but I was hoping someone could point me towards where these candidates actually stand on the issues. I've read their excerpts on the sites, but I would love to see their voting records, history, etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,832,787 times
I'm not so sure about Domenici's son, but I think Domenici senior was anything but a 'tea party constitutionalist'. I'd liken him to a moderate conservative. Once you start using monikers such as 'tea party', you are prone to scare off the substantial Hispanic population in this state. Many liken these platitudes to be overtures of tacit racism or xenophobia. If Domenici ran a platform like Tom Tancredo, he wouldn't have lasted 6 terms. I don't know if I've seen a son or daughter of a politician emerge whose platform varied substantially from their parents, so if I had to guess, I'd say Junior Domenici is probably a slight center-right politician, like his dad.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I'm not so sure about Domenici's son, but I think Domenici senior was anything but a 'tea party constitutionalist'. I'd liken him to a moderate conservative. Once you start using monikers such as 'tea party', you are prone to scare off the substantial Hispanic population in this state. Many liken these platitudes to be overtures of tacit racism or xenophobia. If Domenici ran a platform like Tom Tancredo, he wouldn't have lasted 6 terms. I don't know if I've seen a son or daughter of a politician emerge whose platform varied substantially from their parents, so if I had to guess, I'd say Junior Domenici is probably a slight center-right politician, like his dad.
Thanks for the information. I would have to agree with you after reading up on his daddy. I'm a transplant and don't know a lot about previous politics here in New Mexico.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info via PM abqsun. I have found it very hard to research candidates here in ABQ. Missouri was very interactive and all the politicians had email addresses listed on the polling websites and you could speak to them directly (at least the republican party did, not sure about the dems or libs).

Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,193,444 times
It's not often broadcast that Denish & Richardson, though they share the same party, are on completely different sides of it, and don't get along so well.

Though many have trouble with Richardson in his particulars (get me the votes and I'll get you a well-compensated exempt position), many Democrats still love Richardson in the abstract (Rail Runner, roads, movies, etc.), and it will take a very strong Republican candidate to defeat Denish in this election.

I think I'll go so far as to say it's Denish's election to lose, though numerous Democratic candidates across the nation have successfully seized defeat from the jaws of victory in recent months. If she's got any charm, she better durn show it or she's going to end up going back to S.E. NM.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
It's not often broadcast that Denish & Richardson, though they share the same party, are on completely different sides of it, and don't get along so well.

Though many have trouble with Richardson in his particulars (get me the votes and I'll get you a well-compensated exempt position), many Democrats still love Richardson in the abstract (Rail Runner, roads, movies, etc.), and it will take a very strong Republican candidate to defeat Denish in this election.

I think I'll go so far as to say it's Denish's election to lose, though numerous Democratic candidates across the nation have successfully seized defeat from the jaws of victory in recent months. If she's got any charm, she better durn show it or she's going to end up going back to S.E. NM.
Are these GOP candidates which the post originally asked for? I haven't seen these on the GOP ballot.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,193,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melhoff13 View Post
Are these GOP candidates which the post originally asked for? I haven't seen these on the GOP ballot.
On the off chance that wasn't a sarcastic remark, no they're not.

The thread is labeled "candidates", not "GOP primary candidates", and the former is what I opined upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico