Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times

Advertisements

Wow... Thanks for posting the photo's!

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
makes me wanna play with a skunk if I ever see one, I wonder if they fetch, they are kinda cute

Old 03-14-2010, 01:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times
Interesting. I've been meaning to ask if there are any/many skunks out here. There have been a couple times when I've thought I've smelled the scent of skunk here in Albuquerque this year, generally night time or very early morning (still dark out).

Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,453 times
I'm sure Albuquerque has it's fair share of skunks. I'm down between Cloudcroft and Alamogordo and I think on any given year we have more then our share
I removed 17 from under one house last year And 12 from under the same house the year before.
They are really kind of cute. The spotted ones I think are the cutest and are pretty friendly.
Had a "fun" one yesterday. Dumped him out and he landed between my feet. Spent the next 5 or so minutes with him walking around my feet and smelling my feet and legs

Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Had a "fun" one yesterday. Dumped him out and he landed between my feet. Spent the next 5 or so minutes with him walking around my feet and smelling my feet and legs
Some years ago, summertime and shorts/sandals weather, I was standing outside in the dark one night stargazing when I felt something brush against my ankles. All I could see in the dark, when I looked down, was that white stripe. My sandals ended up staying right where they were while I flew backward over a small retaining wall. It taught me that skunks do NOT smell bad, in and of themselves. I never smelled it either before or after the friendly encounter and it waddled off as if scaring people to death was no big deal.

And since that night, and having trapped quite a few in the interim, I've never been aware of any smell, even after releasing them from the trap. Like others, I am awakened in summer by the smell wafting in through open doors and windows. In that case I simply turn on a small fan and let it blow out of my bedroom door.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
baby skunks are like ducks, they will follow you

Old 03-15-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
baby skunks are like ducks, they will follow you
Nothing cuter than watching mama and babies playing follow the leader!
Haven't had any mistake me for their mother yet.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,510,474 times
I was up in Cloudcroft years ago and ran into a skunk. I fired a shot at it from my Ruger black powder revolver and ran like hell. I lost that gun up there shortly after. Wonder if anyone ever found it.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 152,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I was up in Cloudcroft years ago and ran into a skunk. I fired a shot at it from my Ruger black powder revolver and ran like hell. I lost that gun up there shortly after. Wonder if anyone ever found it.
Hey Rich "Elmer Fudd" Cabeza, in the future, how 'bout giving me a heads up as to when and where you're planning on hiking. So I can stay home. Out of harms way. TY in advance.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post
hey rich "elmer fudd" cabeza, in the future, how 'bout giving me a heads up as to when and where you're planning on hiking. So i can stay home. Out of harms way. Ty in advance.
Something is wrong with the software - I was trying to post a capitalized LOL with a smiley face but it's not displaying correctly.

Anyway - VERY FUNNY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico