Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,191 times

Advertisements

my best friend and i are looking to move to northern new mexico. we just lived in trinidad, colorado for a while, and are looking for a town of a similar size or smaller with a nice sense of community. it'd be great if there were some artists there too. we'd like to be in the sangre de cristos mountains if possible... somewhere up around santa fe or taos but not actually in either of those places.
any suggestions?
thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Dixon? It's in a valley but near mountains. About 1,500 people so it's smaller than Trinidad but it has artists. Take a look and see what you think:

Dixon, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2010, 06:07 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
What is wrong with Trinidad? I for one am looking at acres either on the Santa Fe Trail between Raton and Trinidad.

I personally like Trinidad and Chama NM. I wasn't as thrilled with the Taos area but their is a wonderful area called Cimeron that would be perfect, if it ever had a place for sale.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
I don't know what you plan to do for work, but having lived in Dixon, Ojo Sarco, and Embudo all have artist communities.

Cerrillos or Madrid on the turquoise trail south of Santa Fe might be just what you are looking for. Lots of artists. Both are close enough to Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
debbie: I don't know whether you were referring to Cimarron or not, but it's a beautiful place and not as cold in winter as many other northern NM locations.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
debbie: I don't know whether you were referring to Cimarron or not, but it's a beautiful place and not as cold in winter as many other northern NM locations.

Yes that is what I was thinking. There is a neat hotel I might try this year on my way through that area. It is now a B & B but has tons of history. I found it on a history site regarding Maxwell Land Grant problems.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Yes that is what I was thinking. There is a neat hotel I might try this year on my way through that area. It is now a B & B but has tons of history. I found it on a history site regarding Maxwell Land Grant problems.
Debbie - what website were you on if I might ask? One of my relatives was party to a lawsuit involving the Maxwell Land Grant that went to the Supreme Court. Unfortuantely he lost or he'd have regained ownership of several hundred thousand acres of Northern New Mexico.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Hi CAVA, sorry about your relative. I been looking at the Northern New Mexico, Southern Colorado border for a long time. I thought of buying in the Chama area but the acreage I was looking at had people upset because they were long lost owners of the acreage and lost with Maxwell Grant. I decided to try and stay away from that. I need to have friends and not enemies in the area I move to. If you goggle the Maxwell Grant you will come up with tons of stuff on it. I started to read articles out of the Santa Fe news about it. Then of course West of Trinidad is a very bad problem with it.

It is part of our History that has intriged me. You can find tons of information and books on the subject. Actually,a book written by Marion Russell who lost her husband (murdered) by the Grant peaple out of Stonewall, CO. was my first book and from there I went and visited her grave and started my sort of study of that area.

I am taking your relatives were near the Chama, NM area?

Let me know the subject is rather interesting to me and again sorry about your relatives losing the lawsuit. It is my understanding there are still suits going on.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
...the subject is rather interesting to me and again sorry about your relatives losing the lawsuit. It is my understanding there are still suits going on.
I have no idea how accurate the article is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_Land_Grant

It's not hard to imagine that anyone buying substantial acreage in that region might well have a problem acquiring clear title.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Well this is a long dead (100 years ago) uncle a few generations back from Trinidad, whose wife was first married to Governor Charles Bent's son and inherited his piece of the grant. Prior to marrying my uncle she was in somewhat desperate straits and sold off a large portion of it for a pittance. The suit was settled against her and my uncle in 1897 so we've gotten over it. I'm amazed to hear you say there are people still holding grudges.

Sorry to hijack this poor guy's thread. Perhaps someone can think of another prospective spot for him. I came up with Dixon a couple posts back so did my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico