Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 29,324 times

Advertisements

KF pottery, Magdalena is 28 miles from Socorro, just under 100 from ABQ. I figure I would drive to ABQ once a month for stuff, culture etc, Perhaps if there is a community googlegroup other folk may want to car pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblair View Post
I would appreciate any information / input on moving to Magdalena, NM.
Specifically, quality of city water, how do you connect high speed to the internet, good weather months, bad weather months, what can you grow in your garden, is there any public transportation to Socorro or ABQ, crime rate,
racial /ethnic harmony, good places to eat, must see places, must do activities, cultural or educational activities, local hot springs, is there a public swimming pool, chances of meeting the woman of my dreams, community activities, friendliness, who should I ask to build my home?
Many thanks in advance for any responses.
ericblair.... I liked the old historic buildings in Magdalena, although it's been years since we have been through there. But what would you do for work?! Do you work for yourself?

Someone at the Chamber could probably answer some of your questions.

As for must-see places, one of my favorite places in the state, Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge is within an hour's drive from Magdalena. It's pretty awesome.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 AM

5 posts, read 12,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblair View Post
KF pottery, Magdalena is 28 miles from Socorro, just under 100 from ABQ. I figure I would drive to ABQ once a month for stuff, culture etc, Perhaps if there is a community googlegroup other folk may want to car pool.
Lots of good possibilities so thanks for all the feedback....

Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM

air booked for end of March will check out Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. Thanks

Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 AM

631 posts, read 2,444,963 times
My heart is in Magdalena and I've found many people are attracted to it because of the weather. Usually a mild 4 seasons. This year is a wet cold one.
Racial harmony yes, friendly people, easy trip to Socorro or Abq for shopping. High speed internet DSL thru Western NM Phone or Hughes/Wildblue, no public swimmig pool but one in Socorro, no public trans, but a van does go from Socorro to Mag. It's some type of public trans but I've yet to figure out for who. Crime rate probably low, call Larry the local Marshall. Best place to eat is the Magdalena cafe, weather cold Jan / Feb for the most part, Windy March/April-Warmer months May/June-can cool of mid July thru Oct, then into winter. Some winters hardly any snow, this year more than usual. Water quality not great. We get notices in the mail- Call the Mag. village about what's wrong with their city water. Well water outside of town can be great. Socorro water not good either, I think too high in arsnic.
Community activities, 1ce a year Old Timers Reunion-2 day festival. The art crowd likes to put out their stuff on the street. Not really much for community activities and finding a woman, who knows? I can hook you with with a great builder.
I liked Mag more than Socorro and started having my son go to school in Mag. He loves the school, the teachers are great so we commute. There are other parents who also live in Socorro and have their kids go to school in Mag by choice for a better environment and smaller classrooms. My son said the Mag school is not clickish and all the kids get along. The school often has after school activities for the kids like dances and movies, if it's a family school thing, they'll also serve dinner for free.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks. It is good to hear parents value education enough to drive 25 miles to get the kid to a better school. Is it standard in NM to choose the school you want? I am getting excited about my visit and have arranged to meet with a realtor.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:08 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Ah....I think you should visit M before making the big move....
Naw, they should have put Magdalena in the search option at the top of the page first!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I saw a small house in Mag on Spruce St advertised for 58K with water, sewer and mail delivery.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
That's cheap. I wonder why? Timberon also has awfully good deals...they had a home for sale for $49.9K recently.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That's cheap. I wonder why? Timberon also has awfully good deals...they had a home for sale for $49.9K recently.
A single-wide with a large covered add-on deck across the street from me on a 60 X 110 ft lot within the village limit of Ruidoso sold a couple of weeks ago for $50k. It has city water, elect and sewer but for some reason is still on propane even though natural gas is available. Asking price was last set at $69k, to give some idea of how much disparity there can be between asked and bid.

This is not untypical for mobile and modular homes in the area. Site built are another story altogether.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico