Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I wouldn't live in River Gardens or New Orleans East. River Gardens certainly is an up and coming area, but to me it still lacks true New Orleans character. If you really love the vibe of the city and are willling to put up with its cons (well, you do live in Miami so I think you can adapt) to me it doesn't make sense to live in a brand new gentrified complex designed for yuppies. Sure, they recreate the N.O. style architecture, but it's not real. And the immediate vicinity is still ghetto.

New Orleans East, aside from a few gated subdivisions, is a total pit. It's WAY below sea level and even after they rebuilt the levees it's been said that another storm could inundate the East with the same levels of water as Katrina (10-20 feet). Most of the houses are boring generic brick Americana slab homes, and despite its suburban feel the crime is bad there. The East is one of the murder zones. Not to mention Katrina's footprint is still very evident there. Only now is the city trying to reopen a hospital there. Only some businesses are functioning.

If you've got your heart set on River Gardens, then go for it. You could really make a good experience out of it. But avoid the East! True New Orleans areas with character are the university/Audubon area, Algiers Point, Old Gretna (outside of city limits), the Upper and Lower Garden Districts, the Carrolton area, City Park area, the Faubourg Maringy, etc. Hope that helped.
I kind of feel the same way towards New Orleans East, ive driven through it a few times and for the most part doesn't resemble anything like the rest of inner-city of NOLA as far as structure and housing style, plus it looked just horrible in some places, I'm glad to know that it floods and is below sea level, i kind of wasnt really leaning towards NO East but knowing that kind of makes me not want to give it a go, Algiers was another interest, most apartments there look like they are a better price bargain, but ive never made my way to the 15th Ward whenever i've been there and it looks like its a little distance from the city proper, but when i pay a visit again I'll check it out and see if its for me, but Id definitely prefer living in River Gardens out of all the places ive checked out so far

As far as my job search goes with what the other poster's spoke of, I'm going to save up what I feel would be 2 years worth of rent/bills/expenses/etc. etc...before i move just in case the situation arises where it takes me a while to land a job, i have experience but I may be a little picky as I specialize in neonates/pediatrics but i guess I'm going to have to take whatever i get whenever i arrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Hey, OP are you feeling like a naw awleenin yet?
I'm half-way there LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 PM

310 posts, read 854,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami-dadedread View Post
As far as my job search goes with what the other poster's spoke of, I'm going to save up what I feel would be 2 years worth of rent/bills/expenses/etc. etc...before i move just in case the situation arises where it takes me a while to land a job, i have experience but I may be a little picky as I specialize in neonates/pediatrics but i guess I'm going to have to take whatever i get whenever i arrive
Nice to read about someone who actually has a plan in coming here and isn't relying only on their passion about New Orleans to get them through. I wish you the best. You have experience. Take that time to be picky and don't be afraid to stick your neck out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans