Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times

Advertisements

I'm a born and raised Louisiana resident, and I actually love the state, while I do think my hometown could be improved. However, I wanted to focus on the architecture of new orleans for this one. I've noticed from my own hometown, and even Lafayette, and Baton Rouge is that they all, mimic or give an ode to N.O. architecture in some way or another. It could be w/ creole cottages in a neighborhood, or french quarter inspired neighborhoods. It could be shotgun homes in a subdivision or on a street. In my hometown, there are a few residential areas where some of the top floors have balconies, and some of those balconies are of wrought iron. There are some homes that have been inspired by the French Quarter. I believe that each major city(and their surrounding areas), give a nod to N.O. styles to an extent.

So too all Louisiana residents my do you know of any areas in your hometown that are new orleans inspired? Do you think your hometown did a good job of it or not so much?

How about New Orleans residents? How do you guys feel about other towns incorporating the N.O. home plans into their neighborhoods? Do you feel they do a good job? Do you feel that they rip off and fail miserably?

Again, this thread is just for fun, and it's to see how New Orleans residents view other cities in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,215 times
I think it's fine when other cities in Louisiana use architecture inspired by New Orleans because it keeps Louisiana different from other states. As long as these cities realize that these new neighborhoods will never be the French Quarter or Garden District, I'm on board.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I think it's fine when other cities in Louisiana use architecture inspired by New Orleans because it keeps Louisiana different from other states. As long as these cities realize that these new neighborhoods will never be the French Quarter or Garden District, I'm on board.
I know it's hard for you to believe , but I'll bet there are plenty of cities that are very happy that they AREN'T the French Quarter or the Garden District .

Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I don't think it's so much inspired by N.O. as it is those towns were settled by people of similar heritage. They built what they were used to. And if they had recently emigrated from N.O., all the more reason to build something similar that they were used to.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I don't think it's so much inspired by N.O. as it is those towns were settled by people of similar heritage. They built what they were used to. And if they had recently emigrated from N.O., all the more reason to build something similar that they were used to.
Common sense logic .

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Lord knows I love a good slab brick house near a strip mall from a catalog..sure beats Victorian, Greek Revival, Creole and Shotgun style architecture! Nothing like a good subdivision where all of the houses look exactly alike and the supplies are pre-fab...the best are the ones where you can't even park on the street without getting a ticket...

But seriously...

I don't think the "heritage" argument holds any weight when talking about these other cities, because the only nods to New Orleans architecture I've seen seem to come in these brand new places that just try to add modern touches of traditional architecture. Let 'em do it, whatever.. it's not the same thing and so it makes no difference.. but they are trying to make the joint look a little more unique and interesting than the other neighborhoods in town. That's cool. I more get annoyed when a place calls itself the "French Quarter Apartments" and it's just a crappy brick complex with faux French Quarter street signs and all French Quarter street names.. that just seems a little too cheesy.

Last edited by aab7855; 12-28-2010 at 10:51 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM

In Lake Charles, I can think of two on the top of my head, who definitely try to give a nod. Canal Place, and Graywood. The former, does have french quarter street names, however the latter is a 2000-acre golf community divided into several neighborhoods, w/ french country/new orleans architecture. Also a little section of cottages and shotguns were recently built.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I don't think the "heritage" argument holds any weight when talking about these other cities, because the only nods to New Orleans architecture I've seen seem to come in these brand new places that just try to add modern touches of traditional architecture. Let 'em do it, whatever.. it's not the same thing and so it makes no difference.. but they are trying to make the joint look a little more unique and interesting than the other neighborhoods in town. That's cool. I more get annoyed when a place calls itself the "French Quarter Apartments" and it's just a crappy brick complex with faux French Quarter street signs and all French Quarter street names.. that just seems a little too cheesy.
Exactly. It would be different if the faux New Orleans style was in older buildings. In the case you it was more than likely because of what SouthernBelleInUtah said. However, I usually only see this in new developments and everytime I just have to stop and ask myself "really?"
It's just the fact that I know what look it is that they're probably trying to go for and it's obvious that they didn't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
but I'll bet there are plenty of cities that are very happy that they AREN'T the French Quarter or the Garden District .
That's actually a good thing, but as much as I hate imitation N.O. anything I'd damn sure take it over that Faux French Colonial BS that seems to consume the rest of southeast Louisiana in excess.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM

I kind of think it's good that some newer subdivisions try to keep the N.O. style alive to an extent b/c it keeps louisiana uniquely different, but on the other hand, there are some that do try to hard be the FQ when they cannot be. However, I'd think that in New Orleans, newer neighborhoods would be the best at replicating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Exactly. It would be different if the faux New Orleans style was in older buildings. In the case you it was more than likely because of what SouthernBelleInUtah said. However, I usually only see this in new developments and everytime I just have to stop and ask myself "really?"[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Why would the faux style look better in older buildings rather than new developments, if you don't mind me asking?[/COLOR]
It's just the fact that I know what look it is that they're probably trying to go for and it's obvious that they didn't get it.[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Usually b/c they use that same faded red brick, I know that's a problem w/ a lot of newer developments, I mean I dig the ode to N.O, but why much each house use that ugly ass faded red brick? Why not use white bricks, or even a darker red?
[/color]

That's actually a good thing, but as much as I hate imitation N.O. anything I'd damn sure take it over that Faux French Colonial BS that seems to consume the rest of southeast Louisiana in excess. What's the difference between imitation N.O. and faux French Colonial?

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 12-29-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Why would the faux style look better in older buildings rather than new developments, if you don't mind me asking?
Because if it's on an older development as in 100+ years (hell, maybe 60+) it probably isn't faux, but rather more likely occured because of what SouthernBelleInUtah said.

Quote:
What's the difference between imitation N.O. and faux French Colonial?

Faux New Orleans is usually imitation French Quarter or Styles incorporating Creole cottages and Gallery houses. The French Colonial style (I may have the name mixed up) is the style the McMansions on the western Northshore and Baton Rouge area are based on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans