Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

Unless there is a major catastrophe worse than Katrina (Heaven forbid!), I'd say that New Orleans will eventually become engineered to withstand floods better. This could involve stronger levees, an intricate plan to 'raise' the land (since New Orleans is gradually sinking), anything.

Which brings a question to my mind: Does New Orleans have any flood spillways at all through the city? Reason I ask, is that Palm Springs, CA ~ prone to flash rain floods ~ has spillways. I cannot recall having noticed any in New Orleans. Shouldn't there be some spillways in the city to alleviate some of the flooding height in neighborhoods?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:03 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are you talking about the Corps project? Its gonna take 10+ years to complete right? And I don't think the city will ever flood like that again, that was pure irresponsibility and made a mockery of our state.
actually, a large portion of the project IS completed and opened. I think they are still working on the lock part of it but the actual flood control structure is finished. It goes all the way across Lake Borgne.
To the person above who asked about spillways, yes the Bonnet Carre is located just northwest of the city outside of Norco. Inside the city there are pumping stations and an elaborate levee system. There are plenty of things being done to further fortify the city against flooding.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
This is a state of survivors. People who live here are proud of this place and its progress. They have endured hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, oil spills, poverty, high crime. It takes more than that to discourage the Louisiana people. They do not give up that easily. They are not quitters. They rebuild, learn the lessons, and continue living here. The same goes for other areas of the Gulf Coast region. No way in hell will they ever give up.
I would like to add, however, that Louisiana is doing a lot around New Orleans area to try to prevent another large scale disaster from occurring. there is a very expensive project done on Lake Borgne that will ensure that storm surge does not easily reach the city for example. I10 out of East NOLA has been widened and rebuilt. Lots of flood infrastructure improvements have been underway. Will it work? Who knows? But they are trying.

Great post we are very resilient and we will bounce back. We don't depend on the government or handouts to fix our problems, we work together and do it ourselves.

busta

Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
I am new to this area so I am open to all and any opinions. If I am able to help the city that would truly be my goal but I must first make sure I am healthy enough to contribute.

My relocation to the area is because NOLA has one of the top medical systems and universities in the the southeast if not the south. It's called Tulane University.

If they live up to their reputation then I can start helping to inform those that live here and do not know about great organizations like the Idea Village. They have been trying and making a difference in the city post Katrina.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:47 AM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
We don't depend on the government or handouts to fix our problems, we work together and do it ourselves.

busta
Which problems are those , and how were they fixed without government help ?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Rebuilding is one problem that I can think of off the tip of my head. FEMA, Red Cross, Road Home, etc. distributed nice amounts of money (if you could get it); but not really enough to get many back on their feet. A good number of citizens that returned and are rebuilding are doing so out of pocket, hence the number of gutted and half-finished homes sitting around the area.

Given that a lot of the government help intended for us never made it out of Baton Rouge and the help that did make it down here barely got into the hands of the general public, it's not too hard to see.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM

[quote=WestbankNOLA;20050913Given that a lot of the government help intended for us never made it out of Baton Rouge and the help that did make it down here barely got into the hands of the general public, it's not too hard to see.[/quote] Got any credible examples ?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Quote:
Check this out, I had insurance which was only so good, along with a crooked mortgage co. that got a nice cut and I pulled myself together despite these crooks and helped a few friends & relatives pull themselves together, ever gutted a house after a flood? ever roofed a house in 100degree heat or replaced siding or fences while running off generators, or cleared driveways and roads of tree's and branches or picked up 10,000 shingles scattered evertwhere, NAW I DIDN'T THANK SO
WHO DAT NATION

Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Check this out, I had insurance which was only so good, along with a crooked mortgage co. that got a nice cut and I pulled myself together despite these crooks and helped a few friends & relatives pull themselves together, ever gutted a house after a flood? ever roofed a house in 100degree heat or replaced siding or fences while running off generators, or cleared driveways and roads of tree's and branches or picked up 10,000 shingles scattered evertwhere, NAW I DIDN'T THANK SO
WHO DAT NATION
To start with , you don't know what I have or haven't done . And , you and your couple of friends and relatives are the exception , not the rule . The " we " in your previous comment doesn't represent the whole city . Not by a long shot .

Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Got any credible examples ?
Quote:
The " we " in your previous comment doesn't represent the whole city . Not by a long shot .
For starters all you have to do is look through issues of the Times-Picayune to see several examples, better yet you can just walk around the city asking around and see how many examples you get that are similar to Waitingtundra's.

Then again you seem to know better, please enlighten us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans