Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,500,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
who's the imposing group for 1031 Canal?
VCPORA.

With that out of the way, the next hurdle is to see if Kailas can actally deliver something for once. If it goes past the council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,369,156 times
Hopefully so. That corner is attrocious.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM

643 posts, read 979,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
No way. I lived in Houston for 10 years and been to Atlanta a bunch of times and can tell you that New Orleans doesn't have the land area to expand. We are basically land locked by the lake north, river to the south, marsh and swamp to the east and west.

If you've ever been to Houston or Atlanta you would know that New Orleans could never be that large in size.

busta
New orleans CAN be built outward in the swamp area. Its not deep marsh. The built up parts of Miami Florida are swamp and look what they've done there. Also, there are already some communities that lie pass some of the swampland in the east...like venetian isles, lake catherine, fort pike, the rigolets. All that needs to be done is pump and redirect the water that's back there and build up and out. Other parts of new orleans that are built up started out as swamp.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
New orleans CAN be built outward in the swamp area. Its not deep marsh. The built up parts of Miami Florida are swamp and look what they've done there. Also, there are already some communities that lie pass some of the swampland in the east...like venetian isles, lake catherine, fort pike, the rigolets. All that needs to be done is pump and redirect the water that's back there and build up and out. Other parts of new orleans that are built up started out as swamp.
How about we worry about that once we build on the empty lots and abandon homes within the core.

With that said, I was in the city today, will be there this whole weekend. THE ROADS ARE TERRIBLE!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 PM

639 posts, read 822,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How about we worry about that once we build on the empty lots and abandon homes within the core.

With that said, I was in the city today, will be there this whole weekend. THE ROADS ARE TERRIBLE!
I feel you on this and the roads are terrible but the good thing is they have started a massive plan to repave streets all across the city. Well overdue!!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:40 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,092,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
I feel you on this and the roads are terrible but the good thing is they have started a massive plan to repave streets all across the city. Well overdue!!
Thats great news ! I didnt know that...I should probably start reading the paper

Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Does that include the work on St. Bernard?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM

643 posts, read 979,520 times
Yes, it includes St. Bernard....one of THE worst streets in the city......anyone can go down there and see that it's being repaved from Claiborne all the way towards the lakefront.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM

113 posts, read 181,180 times
Intriguing question. New Orleans has the culture amenities of cities much larger than itself. Jefferson and Orleans could hold a lot more people, but there would have to be a much different approach to development, especially on the edges where low lying development is the norm. There are loads of opportunity for redevelopment. Of course the demand has to ber there. What draws people to New Orleans to live? I've rarely heard people say they moved here for work, or for housing, schools, or even culture. Most people seem to have gotten here were born here, went to school here, or seemingly stumbled upon the city.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:57 PM

639 posts, read 822,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
Intriguing question. New Orleans has the culture amenities of cities much larger than itself. Jefferson and Orleans could hold a lot more people, but there would have to be a much different approach to development, especially on the edges where low lying development is the norm. There are loads of opportunity for redevelopment. Of course the demand has to ber there. What draws people to New Orleans to live? I've rarely heard people say they moved here for work, or for housing, schools, or even culture. Most people seem to have gotten here were born here, went to school here, or seemingly stumbled upon the city.
I agree most people who live in New Orleans are natives BUT the city is changing in the direction where there are a lot of transplants moving there for different reasons, which is wonderful. NOLA has been waiting to BLOW for many years I think the good things going on now are just the tip of the iceberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans