Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
If you walked at night you are on lucky person. I would never recommend that in New Orleans and in a near dangerous neighborhood and a not well traveled neighborhood at night. Take a cab and be safe, do not loiter around outside on Loyola Avenue. You are one block from a large central city crime ridden neighborhood. Plus people have been killed on Canal street at night. Do not walk around at night.
Lived here my whole life and I have never been scared to walk around the CBD or FQ at night. You sound ridiculous and should not be spreading these lies about the city. As long as you avoid eye contact with sketchy people and walk fast (like a normal human being) nothing bad will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
Yeah , that's all you need to do , walk fast and avoid eye contact . I guess all those murder victims were just uninformed .

Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Yeah , that's all you need to do , walk fast and avoid eye contact . I guess all those murder victims were just uninformed .
There hasnt been one murder in the CBD in like 3 years I believe.

Also, should we all just hide in the suburbs and never leave our houses at night?

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM

549 posts, read 849,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'm wondering how these work... for example it says on Monday-Friday a car will arrive at Harrah's at 4:16 and leave at 4:25- it can't take 9 minutes to switch tracks- also, is there some sort of algorithm used to plan the whole system (this would also apply to programming streetlights)?

And is the Loyola line really not going to stop at Elks, or is that just a quirk of the map?

Switching tracks takes little to no time. The wait is built in to give transit drivers a break and to buffer delay time, so the entire schedule doesn't get backed up.

There is absolutely an algorithm used in planning transit schedules, however I am not an engineer...so I can't go into detail.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 12,998 times
You will most likely walk down Loyola which is known as the most dangerous street in New Orleans. The first place you need to be careful of is the Hyatt Regency. I hear you can be shot just walking past the Hyatt Regency. If you somehow get past the Hyatt you then have to worry about sports fans at Walkons jumping, and possibly robbing you. Whatever you do not walk towards the river because the warehouse district is the most dangerous part of New Orleans. Almost nobody comes out alive.

Seriously though

You will not get shot, robbed, or rapped walking from the train station to your hotel. Could it happen? Sure. Has anyone been shot on Canal? Yep. 10 million people visited New Orleans in the past year. Fear mongering people about a gang kid shooting other gang kids last year on Canal is silly. Bad **** does happen sometimes, but all the areas you are going to see are as safe as anywhere.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Switching tracks takes little to no time. The wait is built in to give transit drivers a break and to buffer delay time, so the entire schedule doesn't get backed up.

There is absolutely an algorithm used in planning transit schedules, however I am not an engineer...so I can't go into detail.
Just wanted to say thanks for the reply. One of those things I've been wondering about for years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyinnola View Post
You will most likely walk down Loyola which is known as the most dangerous street in New Orleans. The first place you need to be careful of is the Hyatt Regency. I hear you can be shot just walking past the Hyatt Regency. If you somehow get past the Hyatt you then have to worry about sports fans at Walkons jumping, and possibly robbing you. Whatever you do not walk towards the river because the warehouse district is the most dangerous part of New Orleans. Almost nobody comes out alive.

Seriously though

You will not get shot, robbed, or rapped walking from the train station to your hotel. Could it happen? Sure. Has anyone been shot on Canal? Yep. 10 million people visited New Orleans in the past year. Fear mongering people about a gang kid shooting other gang kids last year on Canal is silly. Bad **** does happen sometimes, but all the areas you are going to see are as safe as anywhere.
Love this!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
Our son has been accepted to Loyola New Orleans and has visited with my husband. They both loved the school. Wondering how safe the area is... Read on Tulane's newspaper that recently there has been increased crime in uptown area, couple of kids got tied up in their own rental house., some rape and physical assaults? I thought Uptown area is the nicer area? Is it attracting more crime cause of it's money? and proximity to colleges? students are complaining there isn't enough security in the area cause crime is still lower there than other parts of new orleans. My husband is torn by the great school and people they talked to vs. what some of the kids are saying...

Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
There has been a rash of home invasions near the universities lately... one woman was strangled by a college student (she survived). Overall that's one of the safest neighborhoods in the city...there are lots of million dollar + homes within blocks of campus.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisager View Post
Our son has been accepted to Loyola New Orleans and has visited with my husband. They both loved the school. Wondering how safe the area is... Read on Tulane's newspaper that recently there has been increased crime in uptown area, couple of kids got tied up in their own rental house., some rape and physical assaults? I thought Uptown area is the nicer area? Is it attracting more crime cause of it's money? and proximity to colleges? students are complaining there isn't enough security in the area cause crime is still lower there than other parts of new orleans. My husband is torn by the great school and people they talked to vs. what some of the kids are saying...
One of the recent crimes happened half a block away from my brothers apartment. Went there last night and did not seem unsafe. Random crimes DO happen but its all about being vigilant.

For example, the kids that got tied up left their front door wide open to let cool air in. Don't want to blame the victim but you have to be vigilant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: