Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 16,898 times

Advertisements

I have family in the Memphis area and would like to be close by using the train. I am moving from Seattle and need to get away from the dreary PNW weather.
I consider myself liberal, 27, white male (ear piercings, hippy, vegetarian, nerdy, gay).
are there any counterculture concentrations?
im used to paying 1300 for a two bedroom in Seattle, would it be a stretch to expect to pay less than 800 in the uptown, maringy, lower garden dist, bywater neigborhoods for studios? I have been browsing apt ads and craigslist and it seems okay.
I was in Destin, FL for ten years (So I have experience with similar weather -humidity and hurricane threats). I know how the vibe at least in gulfcoast fl, but having been in Seattle(super liberal, recent gay marriage and mj legalized, strong lgbt advocacy) for the past three years, I feel somewhat uneducated about the mixed culture of NOLA. My friends and relatives tell me it is very artsy and liberal and accepting of lgbt, yet outside the city is more conservative (similar to Seattle area).
As far as public transport goes, I do not plan on owning a car.

Ive done some research and narrowed my apartment search to the follow areas- uptown, lower garden disct., maringy, bywater.
How safe are the uptown, maringy, bywater, lower garden disct areas for lgbt/counter culture adults with good nightlife and grocery stores, shops close by? Seattle has a strong lgbt neighborhood (capital hill) and its safe to walk around holding hands and whatnot. im not a huge fan of hardcore pda, but would like to be able to hold hands with someone.

In terms of spirituality, I have read there are numerous /pagan/Wiccan/open spirituality churches/voodoo/magickal communities in the NO area. is that true? I would like to expand my practices to a collective scope and think it would be a good way to meet people with like minded interests.
are there conventions in the city? anime, faeriecon, video games, tattoo, steampunk?
For work, I will be getting my masters in information science in December and hope to find a job at a library or information center. have already started looking for work, but being in Seattle it is difficult to apply while Im all the way across the country. will be staying with my family in Memphis for a few weeks prior to the move and will start applying then. i have hospital nursing and retail experience if the information science jobs dont come around. i will have about 13k in savings when I arrive. how long will that last i can find a good, low price apartment without having a car? i am very frugal when it comes to spending and think the 13k will help me get settled in and give me time to find work.

thanks for any help and advice!
Im looking to visit in August for two weeks to scope out potential apts and areas before I officially move.
I am excited for the move. the mixed cultures in NOLA are beautiful, the city is amazing, and the weather is a much needed change from Seattle.

Last edited by jurema; 07-12-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
You should have no problem LGBT in the Marigny, Bywater, or LGD. Depending on what part of Uptown you're looking at, that can be more conservative.

Gays are very welcome in New Orleans, there's a big festival called "southern decadence" that's kind of like a gay Mardi Gras.

This is just anecdotal, but I read somewhere that people in more conservative areas (Jackson, MS being the source) view New Orleans gays as the "bad boys".

13k should be plenty of money to give yourself a head start and get settled. For you, I think the Marigny might be best; that's a section of town that was gentrified by a heavily gay community, it's a little more expensive than Bywater or the LGD but is centrally located and just a really pretty part of town.

Good luck.

Edit: thinking about it, for your age, Bywater would probably be a better fit. You shouldn't have any problems there either.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:07 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Based on your preferences, sounds like you were born to live in New Orleans. Ok, maybe I'm overselling, but you're going to love it...truly. When you arrive in 2 weeks, you'll see what I mean.

I have nothing more to add other than concurrence with what Neworleansisprettygood said.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:25 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
No worries. New Orleans is the most liberal city in the south. You should be very comfortable with the neighborhoods you're looking at.

Uptown is a large area with many different neighborhoods. It's pretty bohemian near the expressway (LGD), but once you pass Jackson Ave heading upriver towards Audubon Park, it gets more yuppie, upscale and conservative. There's a full grocery in the Warehouse district which is next door to the LGD. Most of the commerce is going to be on Magazine St.

The Marigny would be the most expensive choice, but it also right in the middle of everything the downtown neighborhoods have to offer: Frenchman St, neighborhood bars and restaurants, St. Claude, and right next to the French Quarter.
Bywater is a few blocks further downriver and has it's own neighborhood establishments. It's cheaper and arguably safer than the Marigny, but similar vibe. Unfortunately, the only full grocery close by is the Rouses in the middle of the Quarter.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM

thank you everyone! I am very excited to be back in the south. I was born in MS so I have roots there. any other advice you all can give me will be much appreciated.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM

also, where are the lgbt community centers or good gay nightlife with a chill relaxed vibe? any lgbt bookstores?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM

hey everyone. I found decent priced apts around this address. is this area safe and close to grocery, transit?
around the Lafayette cemetery # 2 and al davis park.
2119 Washington Ave.

thank you!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurema View Post
hey everyone. I found decent priced apts around this address. is this area safe and close to grocery, transit?
2119 Washington Ave.

thank you!
No. No, no, no, no, no.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
Quote:
2119 Washington Ave.

thank you!
That's right in the middle of where you don't want to be.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Quote:
2119 Washington Ave.

thank you!
Do a Google Map Street View of that area and you'll see just why you should stay the hell away from that part of the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans