Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 PM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Never been to New York but I never understand this argument. When was New York not the city it is today?
20 years ago.

New York is now clean, safe and efficient, more than any city has the right to be. Manhattan was bought out by Disney, Starbucks, etc., and turned into an expensive souvenir shop. Overpriced chain restaurants, tourist traps of Restaurant Row, designed to take whatever money theater-goers still have left after paying for parking. Alternative - ultra-expensive restaurant's that offer half the quality of G.W. Fins at 3 times the price. An insane ex-mayor who came within one inch of banning *soda* (or is it "pop" in New Orleans?). Banned are any means of defending yourself. $15 bridge tolls. Neighborhood of Brooklyn turned almost entirely into hipster breeding grounds ($$$$ Tapas, anyone?) and no hunting licenses are issued. I could go on.

What pisses me off the most is that people from here (Northeast) run like mad to escape the weather, nasty people and high cost of living to some place in the South or the West and then when they get there start complaining how backwards the place is. And they don't stop until the place turns into the same place they came from and they have to flee again. Example - parts of North Carolina and Colorado.

New York should be New York and New Orleans should be New Orleans. You may defeat crime, but it will mean that you will have to move out too, because you will not be able to compete financially with migrants from the north with their retirement funds and investment portfolios. You can develop good real estate, but be prepared to pay $1.5 Mil for a 2 BD appartment in CBD. And wait until the "progressive" government starts counting calories in your etouffe and po-boys.

EDIT: I happened to be in NOLA the day the big Starbucks opened on Canal St. I know it's not the end of the world, but part of me died that day. I bet next time I come, PJ's next door may no longer be in business and their coffee beats starbucks by a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM

643 posts, read 977,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
20 years ago.

New York is now clean, safe and efficient, more than any city has the right to be. Manhattan was bought out by Disney, Starbucks, etc., and turned into an expensive souvenir shop. Overpriced chain restaurants, tourist traps of Restaurant Row, designed to take whatever money theater-goers still have left after paying for parking. Alternative - ultra-expensive restaurant's that offer half the quality of G.W. Fins at 3 times the price. An insane ex-mayor who came within one inch of banning *soda* (or is it "pop" in New Orleans?). Banned are any means of defending yourself. $15 bridge tolls. Neighborhood of Brooklyn turned almost entirely into hipster breeding grounds ($$$$ Tapas, anyone?) and no hunting licenses are issued. I could go on.

What pisses me off the most is that people from here (Northeast) run like mad to escape the weather, nasty people and high cost of living to some place in the South or the West and then when they get there start complaining how backwards the place is. And they don't stop until the place turns into the same place they came from and they have to flee again. Example - parts of North Carolina and Colorado.

New York should be New York and New Orleans should be New Orleans. You may defeat crime, but it will mean that you will have to move out too, because you will not be able to compete financially with migrants from the north with their retirement funds and investment portfolios. You can develop good real estate, but be prepared to pay $1.5 Mil for a 2 BD appartment in CBD. And wait until the "progressive" government starts counting calories in your etouffe and po-boys.

EDIT: I happened to be in NOLA the day the big Starbucks opened on Canal St. I know it's not the end of the world, but part of me died that day. I bet next time I come, PJ's next door may no longer be in business and their coffee beats starbucks by a mile.
It's neither...I, and many others simply call it a cold drink

Old 04-24-2014, 03:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
20 years ago.

That's just an effect of the free market working. Would you rather the New York of the 80s and 90s?

Quote:
I can sympathize with them about the slower culture. Which parts of North Carolina have turned into New York? With high COL, etc?
Quote:
Is keeping the status quo worth the crime and lack of adequate education?

Quote:
I'll take Starbucks over a boarded up building.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
Quote:
20 years ago.

God forbid we become clean, safe and efficient.

You're bemoaning a few corporate blocks of Midtown. Most of the city is not like that. Local businesses and chains coexist peacefully and the same thing happens here. I find no shortage of interesting local places whenever I'm there.

I have no problem with a Starbucks on Canal St. Nowhere does Starbucks have a monopoly on coffee. There will always be a local alternative that will flourish. I'd much rather that than the current crap retail that currently occupies Canal St.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 PM

639 posts, read 820,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
There's a big tug of war going on in the lower 9th ward now where there is a company who wants to come in, redevelop the old holy cross school thats been sitting dormant housing rats and probably termites and who knows what else, but the neighbors are complaining that 75 feet will be too tall for that neighborhood......thats not that tall and is crazy to me that when someone wants to come in to that area, bring jobs and fix up something run down, opponents want to dismiss it..smh
I feel you on this one, never could understand why things like this happen. I love NOLA but the red tape can be UNBEARABLE at times. smh

Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM

639 posts, read 820,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
It's neither...I, and many others simply call it a cold drink

lmbo.. You beat me to the punch.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
I feel you on this one, never could understand why things like this happen. I love NOLA but the red tape can be UNBEARABLE at times. smh
You're right Native Son

Old 04-24-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
lmbo.. You beat me to the punch.
Lol

Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
ecause the earlier poster compared us to Atlanta (and I like twisting the knife), a technology company today announced that it was moving from ATL to Kenner.
Technology firm moving headquarters from Atlanta to Kenner, bringing 320 jobs | NOLA.com

Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
ecause the earlier poster compared us to Atlanta (and I like twisting the knife), a technology company today announced that it was moving from ATL to Kenner.
Technology firm moving headquarters from Atlanta to Kenner, bringing 320 jobs | NOLA.com
Encouraging news....I hope we start getting more businesses like this to come to the region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans