Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,766 times

Advertisements

These are all of the shootings that occurred in 2013: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...g.k4A9jNqgXEWo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Huh. Also helpful. So what I'm getting from this map is that things don't typically happen where my place would be, but that I wouldn't have to go far. Looks like I'm on the very edge of where GD becomes CC. The area north of OCH and Dryades, west to about Amelia looks to be pretty problematic, on the other hand, places that I appear to be going to and from to the conference as well as exploring (Algiers Point, Garden District, most of the French Quarter, City Park and Warehouse District all appear to be quite safe. I will still exercise caution for sure though, and will by no means venture around my neighborhood when out, I will immediately head to St. Charles and South!

Next thought. What are some of your experiences using the St. Charles Streetcar line at different points? How heavily used is it, is is something that would give an uncomfortable feeling, (esp. after dark?).

Hindsight is 20-20, but I do wish I had booked closer to along Magazine or Prytania Street now.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 AM

So I just took a more detailed look at the neighborhood, both immediately north and south, and WOW. Looks like Baronne is somewhat upscale, beautifully manicured houses and lawns for the most part, that could even go for like $500k due to look and proximity to St. Charles Streetcar/Magazine. However, I went up along Dryades, and especially Danneel, and the difference made me gasp. While there hasn't been anything immediately along those streets, I'm hoping there isn't any carryover because that two block change is about vast as I've seen anywhere in the world.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 AM

415 posts, read 802,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
So I just took a more detailed look at the neighborhood, both immediately north and south, and WOW. Looks like Baronne is somewhat upscale, beautifully manicured houses and lawns for the most part, that could even go for like $500k due to look and proximity to St. Charles Streetcar/Magazine. However, I went up along Dryades, and especially Danneel, and the difference made me gasp. While there hasn't been anything immediately along those streets, I'm hoping there isn't any carryover because that two block change is about vast as I've seen anywhere in the world.
Most of New Orleans is very block to block. You can have a multi-million dollar mansion around the corner from a condemned crack house. The Irish Channel is another good example of stark change from street to street if you are curious.

While there is random crime in New Orleans, more so in the FQ and surrounding areas, the majority of crime is amongst people who are familiar with each other - drugs, turf wars, etc. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe walking around the Garden District regardless of the time of day/night.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 AM

Alright, great. Any word on how high of a ridership level there would be for the streetcar, depending on time of day, and whether it felt like a safe experience?

Edit: Times I'll be riding are every morning at around 8-8:30, I wouldn't imagine I'd have a problem then, around lunch from Morial over the FQ possibly, mid afternoon/early evening up to City Park or deeper into the Garden District Tulane way, and then there might be a couple nights where I'm coming back anywhere from around 8-11 range from FQ/WHD.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Alright, great. Any word on how high of a ridership level there would be for the streetcar, depending on time of day, and whether it felt like a safe experience?

Edit: Times I'll be riding are every morning at around 8-8:30, I wouldn't imagine I'd have a problem then, around lunch from Morial over the FQ possibly, mid afternoon/early evening up to City Park or deeper into the Garden District Tulane way, and then there might be a couple nights where I'm coming back anywhere from around 8-11 range from FQ/WHD.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. The streetcar has a pretty high ridership any hour of the day. Just be cautious on those last two blocks on the north side of St. Charles.

I would recommend that you download one of the transit apps for your phone that shows exactly where the streetcars/buses are. The St. Charles streetcar technically has only an 8 minute headway, but it is anything but on time. A high tourist load and countless car crossings slow it down considerably. You might sit around for 30 min and then 3 cars come in a row.

Also, the Riverfront streetcar will get you to the Quarter from Morial easily. The last station is at Julia St. and you can take it all the way down to Esplanade.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 PM

Thanks, I am looking forward to the trip, just wanted to make sure I was as aware as possible. Perhaps I will just sprint those last two blocks if I am getting off after dark. LOL.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about that. The streetcar has a pretty high ridership any hour of the day. Just be cautious on those last two blocks on the north side of St. Charles.

I would recommend that you download one of the transit apps for your phone that shows exactly where the streetcars/buses are. The St. Charles streetcar technically has only an 8 minute headway, but it is anything but on time. A high tourist load and countless car crossings slow it down considerably. You might sit around for 30 min and then 3 cars come in a row.

Also, the Riverfront streetcar will get you to the Quarter from Morial easily. The last station is at Julia St. and you can take it all the way down to Esplanade.
I think rburnett described it perfectly. Those last 2 blocks late at night should be your concern. I lived in the area for a couple years and never had problems, but why take a chance.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM

Day 1
Lunch: Central Grocery (Muffuletta)
Exploring City Park, or WWII Museum?
Dinner: Deanie’s, Acme, Cooter Brown’s, or Manning’s (optional)
Day 2
Lunch: Mother’s Po Boy’s
Dinner: Ferry/Dinner Algiers Point (Old Point Bar, Dry Dock Café, The Crown & Anchor Pub?)
Café du Monde on way back
Day 3
Lunch: Stein’s Market and Deli, Juan’s Flying Burrito, Slice Pizzeria, Joey K’s, Voodoo BBQ?
Dinner: Cochon Butcher/Coop’s Place/Others previously mentioned that haven’t been visited yet
Day 4
Lunch: Places which have already been mentioned/others
Dinner: Ditto, possibly Tulane area for Company Burger/baseball game?
Day 5
Time to take a French Quarter historic/architectural tour
Lunch: Somewhere in the Quarter or Garden District that I haven’t yet been
Dinner: Early, somewhere in the Garden District, possibly as far over as Carrollton, also a stop at Creole Creamery on the way out

Alright last question: This was the general plan that I had as far as food/sightseeing was concerned. Any additional tips on particularly good restaurants, that also happen to be cheap? (on a budget, so going over $10 for food is something that may only happen 1-2 times on the trip, rest of the time looking to be pretty thrifty, yet enjoy N'awlins to the fullest.

Any free sightseeing tours or anything of the sort (runs or biking also?)

This is all very appreciated. I'm familiar with Cleveland, but also Orlando where I am currently attending graduate school, in addition to Tampa, so I would be willing to return the favor if any of you happen to be going there in the upcoming months.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 AM

415 posts, read 802,022 times
Day 3
Lunch: Stein's or Juan's. Joey K's and Voodoo are just so-so. Never been to Slice.
Dinner: Cochon Butcher

Day 4
Lunch: Magasin
Dinner: Company Burger or Dat Dog

Day 5
Lunch: Verti Marte
Dinner: Camellia Grill

All of the places I listed are pretty cheap. You could also try Surrey's for lunch - great menu options and juices. Verti Marte and Surrey's are cash only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans