Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the statue of General Lee?
Take it down and destroy it! 25 11.16%
Take it down and donate to the Confederancy or Other Civil War Museum. 41 18.30%
Don't take it down, it's a part of the history of New Orleans. 123 54.91%
Don't take it down, I support who General Lee was. 35 15.63%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 AM

806 posts, read 877,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So what? Does it negate anything the Confederates were about? Answer that question.
Of course not , but it shows just how complicated the subject matter really is . You revisionist are convinced that the war was " all about slavery " . As if every white Southerner was a slave owner , living in a big fine plantation home . Get past the hot button talking points and find out the truth . You won't like it either .

Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
This is the only plantation I know of that does not gloss over the issues of slavery.

Whitney Plantation
That was one of two plantations I saw on TV. The other one was in South Carolina.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Of course not , but it shows just how complicated the subject matter really is . You revisionist are convinced that the war was " all about slavery " . As if every white Southerner was a slave owner , living in a big fine plantation home . Get past the hot button talking points and find out the truth . You won't like it either .
It is not as complicated as you want to make it look. This is not about Abraham Lincoln's aspirations. This is about the South and what it wanted. The South made no bones about wanting to keep slavery. And no one hear said every White southerner owned slaves. There has been mentions of poor Whites. However, slavery was not just some inconvenient fact of life in the South. It was literally woven into the fabric of Southern life. It was bring touted by the politicians and even the clergy in the South. There were many in the poor White population who aspired to own slaves.
https://www.civilwar.org/learn/artic...herners-fought

Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
We don't act like every white southerner was a slave owner. We act like every state that left the Union specifically stated that slavery and white supremacy was the only issue. That's the truth.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We don't act like every white southerner was a slave owner. We act like every state that left the Union specifically stated that slavery and white supremacy was the only issue. That's the truth.
Whenever someone is presented evidence that shows our point, and still refuses to acknowledge it, that is a sign of stupidity. Many on this thread have posted evidence showing that slavery was the major factor in all of this. In fact, here is some more below.

However, there are many who will either refuse to accept it, or try to downplay it. That shows the kind of stupidity we are dealing with.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Whenever someone is presented evidence that shows our point, and still refuses to acknowledge it, that is a sign of stupidity. Many on this thread have posted evidence showing that slavery was the major factor in all of this. In fact, here is some more below.

However, there are many who will either refuse to accept it, or try to downplay it. That shows the kind of stupidity we are dealing with.

No, it's not "stupidity" at all. I think your 'side of the story' is stupid. Just because you cite articles/opinions that back up your stance doesn't make others "stupid".
History is history and should be recognized forever.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

No, it's not "stupidity" at all. I think your 'side of the story' is stupid. Just because you cite articles/opinions that back up your stance doesn't make others "stupid".
It is a stupid idea to have evidence in front of you, and still try to downplay it or ignore it. The evidence shows that the Confederates declared secession because they wanted to keep slavery. They fired the first shots. Robert E. Lee was a traitor. He had a duty to protect the USA. He sided with the enemy. Based on this, there is not a reason to give Confederates a place of honor. When those statues were sculpted and put on high pedestals, they were given a place of honor. They should not have been given a place of honor. Traitors do not deserve honor. People who served a cause that was committed to preserving the right to own other human beings, a place of honor and tribute is something that is not deserving. That is what I mean by stupidity. Knowing the evidence, but still choosing to exercise willful ignorance.

Why honor the dishonorable, knowing what the evidence shows? Why?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

So what do you call it when people disregard fact for their narrative? Every state made sure to express their intentions in their letters of succession.

I'm not sure what the last part means, as I'm sure the topic will still be discussed in American History classes.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So what do you call it when people disregard fact for their narrative? Every state made sure to express their intentions in their letters of succession.

I'm not sure what the last part means, as I'm sure the topic will still be discussed in American History classes.
And even crazier, making excuses for disregarding it.

This stuff is going to be discussed in American history. We have no worries of that. No one has adequately answered this question. Why should Confederates be given a place of honor, knowing the bad things they stood for and fought for?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Because not everyone has the same opinion as to what is honorable, that's why. I think the Confederates were very honorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans