Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the statue of General Lee?
Take it down and destroy it! 25 11.16%
Take it down and donate to the Confederancy or Other Civil War Museum. 41 18.30%
Don't take it down, it's a part of the history of New Orleans. 123 54.91%
Don't take it down, I support who General Lee was. 35 15.63%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,012,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What makes you think that that's even an option?
Take note of his speech as Lee came down. He's trying to get attention from the DNC to push for some higher office or kushy seat in the party when his term as Mayor is up.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:28 AM

806 posts, read 877,909 times
And if you don't believe that , you are in complete denial . He's not doing this for anything other than political reasons .

Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 AM

860 posts, read 1,194,613 times
I've never seen a politician that I like or trust. Some are a little better than others I guess, and I'm sure a big part of his reasoning for this is to move up. I still say that was a good speech, and many of his points are valid.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right." ― George Orwell, 1984
History is being destroyed in New Orleans?

"Confederate Memorial Hall opened its doors in New Orleans on January 8, 1891, and since that time has been commemorating the military history and heritage of the South. The museum is the oldest in Louisiana and houses one of the largest collections of Confederate memorabilia in the United States."

http://confederatemuseum.com

History is being falsified in New Orleans?

Are you referencing the 'Lost Cause' ideology? The very definition of revising the historical record to reflect a 'politically correct' version of history?

'Lost Cause' ideology slogan:

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Disclosure: I'm a NYer & I Love New Orleans!
The people of New Orleans are its most wonderful resource! (Not to mention the arts, culture, architecture, food & on & on!)

Old 05-21-2017, 08:34 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Take note of his speech as Lee came down. He's trying to get attention from the DNC to push for some higher office or kushy seat in the party when his term as Mayor is up.
You said nomination for 2020. No doubt it's a political stunt, that's what politicians do. The backlash is because he has a D by his name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I've never seen a politician that I like or trust. Some are a little better than others I guess, and I'm sure a big part of his reasoning for this is to move up. I still say that was a good speech, and many of his points are valid.
Same here.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 AM

381 posts, read 277,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Lee statue has been removed.

Are they contemplating changing the name of Lee Circle or is that staying?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:40 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Are they contemplating changing the name of Lee Circle or is that staying?
It should revert back to being Tivoli Circle. I don't know what it will be renamed.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
They were showing the site where the Jeff Davis Memorial used to stand and it is a derelict concrete pad and they already have graffiti on it. Great way to brand the city Mitch!

Lee Circle looks silly without a statue on top.

There is a crumbling brick wall where Beauregard statue used to be because when they removed the plaque it caused the cement base to crumble off.

In many ways now those keys spots in town look like most of the city, decrepit and nasty. If only Mitch pushed the 4 Seasons hotel as much as he pushed the monument removal we may actually have a decent remodeled WTC.

Oh well, the circus has finally left town and we can finally focus on the crime problem. Did you hear about the African American father who had both of his sons shot within a year by rival gangs? Can we talk about this?

Old 05-21-2017, 06:27 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They were showing the site where the Jeff Davis Memorial used to stand and it is a derelict concrete pad and they already have graffiti on it. Great way to brand the city Mitch!

There is a crumbling brick wall where Beauregard statue used to be because when they removed the plaque it caused the cement base to crumble off.

In many ways now those keys spots in town look like most of the city, decrepit and nasty. If only Mitch pushed the 4 Seasons hotel as much as he pushed the monument removal we may actually have a decent remodeled WTC.

Oh well, the circus has finally left town and we can finally focus on the crime problem. Did you hear about the African American father who had both of his sons shot within a year by rival gangs? Can we talk about this?
Important things first.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't like graffiti. Shows a sign of gangs. That said, I don't like any Confederates. Period.

Quote:
There are better people to honor besides Lee.

Quote:
Well, perhaps it would be good to fix that wall. There are plenty of things to be done.

Quote:
Well, consider this. One reason alot of crime goes on in New Orleans(not the only reason) is because of the large amount of corruption within the NOPD. If we can get that solved, that would be great. However, why can't New Orleans be a cleaner city and at the same those Confederate statues get taken down?

Quote:
Yes, we can talk about the crime problems. However, your last statement tells me this.
1) There are those who try to paint it as "you can't have those statues taken down and have a nice city at the same time".
2) There are those who only bring up Black crime as a distraction from the subject.
3) #2 leads to this. One would have to admit that maybe alot of Blacks don't like the Confederate flag, or to things that pay tribute to the Confederate cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans