Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

My partner of 10 years got a great job offer with Oschner. It's a grand opportunity but we're not sure we would likeliving there since we are lifelong East Coasters current in Fort Lauderdale. Hopefully someone on here has relocated form FL and give us some insight of how you like living in Louisiana. If we do move we're thinking of Metairie or Kenner area. Any insight on living, housing and gay friendly information would be cool.
Wed have to sell our house here so we want to be positive that the move is in our best interest.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 04:47 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,956 times
I lived in Miami Beach and the Bayview area of Ft Lauderdale for several years. I would pick New Orleans over South Florida any day, but it's a very different lifestyle. Most of the people that I knew in South Florida would probably hate living in New Orleans. New Orleans is a lot more laid back, it's not as clean and picturesque, and can honestly be a little scary when you first move here.

The plusses are the history, the traditions and culture that you can't get anywhere else, and the people. Most of the people here are very genuine. I made friends very quickly here. In South Florida it took a while. I loved it down there for a couple of years, but it wore on me after a while. I've been in New Orleans for 10 years and love it more every day. I think it depends on your attitude. If you can, spend some time here before making a decision.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. We actually were supposed to be there this past weekend, but with happened at FLL they cancelled our flights, so we may have to make a decision without spending the time there.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 AM

How is the weather year round? I heard it rains a lot.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:52 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,346,705 times
It's beautiful today, it does rain alot and we get heavy thunderstorms. Lots of humidity year-round like Miami. It's hard to suggest you to move here or not, New Orleans is a polarizing city.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:49 PM

Annie's right. Most people either love it or hate it. Not much in between.

The weather is similar to Miami. You get a few more cold days here in the winter, and the summer is about the same except you don't get that constant ocean breeze like you do down there. I miss that breeze. It makes a big difference.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 AM

65 posts, read 75,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrscramberry View Post
How is the weather year round? I heard it rains a lot.
I lived in Miami for 4 years and now New Orleans, and I have to say that winters here are MUCH colder than in South Florida. The good news is that the very cold days (like what we just lived through, ugh) don't last long, but they do always make me long for Miami. LOL

Another thing to consider is that if you live in an older New Orleans shotgun or home, there might not be any insulation and that, coupled with all of the window and floor board gaps, makes the cold nights miserable. In Miami we always had central a/c and heat, but that isn't always easy to find here. We just have portable heaters in our rental now, and wow were we freezing during that last cold snap. The one time we DID have central heat here, we couldn't get it to go over 60 degrees when it was 30 degrees outside due to the lack of insulation and super-high ceilings in our unit. Just some things to consider.

I agree though, that the people are much more genuine and friendly here, and that the city just has a much more authentic feel to it if that makes sense.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl17 View Post
I lived in Miami for 4 years and now New Orleans, and I have to say that winters here are MUCH colder than in South Florida. The good news is that the very cold days (like what we just lived through, ugh) don't last long, but they do always make me long for Miami. LOL

Another thing to consider is that if you live in an older New Orleans shotgun or home, there might not be any insulation and that, coupled with all of the window and floor board gaps, makes the cold nights miserable. In Miami we always had central a/c and heat, but that isn't always easy to find here. We just have portable heaters in our rental now, and wow were we freezing during that last cold snap. The one time we DID have central heat here, we couldn't get it to go over 60 degrees when it was 30 degrees outside due to the lack of insulation and super-high ceilings in our unit. Just some things to consider.

I agree though, that the people are much more genuine and friendly here, and that the city just has a much more authentic feel to it if that makes sense.
Southerngirl, I had to laugh at this. I don't think my apartment has any insulation either. I always talk about how great the character is in the old buildings here, but there is definitely a flip side to that. My place won't get warm in the winter, and won't cool off in the summer. I used to complain, until a storm knocked the power off for a week in the middle of the summer a few years ago, and I realized my ac wasn't as bad as I thought. That was one of the most miserable weeks I've ever had.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:49 AM

65 posts, read 75,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Southerngirl, I had to laugh at this. I don't think my apartment has any insulation either. I always talk about how great the character is in the old buildings here, but there is definitely a flip side to that. My place won't get warm in the winter, and won't cool off in the summer. I used to complain, until a storm knocked the power off for a week in the middle of the summer a few years ago, and I realized my ac wasn't as bad as I thought. That was one of the most miserable weeks I've ever had.
Yes, definitely one of the pitfalls of living in an old building full of "character!" LOL Our ancient shotgun cools off pretty well (with 4 newer window a/c units), but man that damp cold will get to you! I have to agree that when I walked in from outside last weekend when it was in the 30s, it did feel much warmer. For a few minutes at least. I hope we don't have to go through that again this winter! I'm loving these 75-degree days we've been having!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:27 AM

We have 2 large dogs...how hard or easy will it be to find a house. Searching online we are starting to concerned about that. Does anyone have any contacts we could reach out to? A realtor or owner? Also, what do you think about the crime? Last night my brother was giving me the business that it is not a safe place to live for a lesbian couple. He got in our heads a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans