Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 06:08 PM

21 posts, read 25,622 times

Advertisements

My husband works in an industry that requires frequent moves and is currently interviewing for a position at Tulane. His chances of getting it are pretty high at this point so I'm trying to get an idea of what the move would look like for us. We've lived in Boston and Orlando so big cities aren't necessarily new but obviously they're also all different at the same time.

We don't have kids but may start having kids while we're still in the area. We like to go out to restaurants or wineries/breweries on the weekend but also really enjoy the outdoors. A huge requirement is somewhere walkable as we have a dog.

I work in social work and typically work in the school setting.

It seems like a lot of people live north of the lake but I'm a little cautious about commute times. Right now we both drive about a half hour to an hour for work (depending on traffic) and I'd really love to eliminate that commute for at least one of us.

I'd really love to hear thoughts on the areas that I should start our housing search. Also any general advice around buying vs. renting in the area would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Budget is important, you will want to rent before you buy, New Orleans is a city that changes block by block so you want to be familiar with the area before you buy. I prefer Uptown neighborhoods like the Garden district, Irish Channel, Freret, LGD, etc. Basically anything between St. Charles and the river. Downtown neighborhoods are nice a walkable but are more transitional and gentrifying (Treme, French Quarter, Marigny, Bywater, St. Roch, Holy Cross). Mid-City's best neighborhood is Bayou St John, although it's father away from bars and restaurants. I live technically in Central City but am close enough to walk to places on Magazine St and can ride over to Freret easily. I only use my car for work and sometimes groceries.
Commute times in the city are a breeze, nothing like Boston or Orlando. I haven't been to either of those cities but New Orleans city traffic is a joke. Everything is less than 10 min away in the city and less than 30 if you need to go to Jefferson Parish. (Without traffic) That commute across the bridge sucks and there's often and fog advisory. Also there's none of what you want on the Northshore. It's completely suburban.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:36 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Safe, Walkable and Cheap. You get to pick 2.

Unless you have multiple school aged children or really want to live on 1-2 acres, then I would scratch the north shore. It seems to be the default location for more conservative, higher income transplants that are used to exurban life and 1.5 hour commutes.

With no kids, you really want to be in the city, where the action is(if your budget allows), especially if the position is likely to be temporary.

See:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...moving-no.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...-off-spot.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...l#post48392731
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...l#post47803706
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...l#post47569658

Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
The area right around Tulane' s campus is a pretty good area. I live a couple blocks on the other side of Broadway and have never had any problems with crime. Lots of families and college students. Your husband could walk to work, and you could walk to Maple st and Oak St for entertainment and shopping, and just a few blocks to the streetcar on Carrollton or St Charles.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 AM

27 posts, read 28,234 times
I'll tell you right now, what you want is Carrollton (but closer to the river or Oak Street). Freret has unfortunately become incredibly dominated by students. Also, I agree with Annie, look into Bayou St. John. Beautiful area and you're not that far from the two core parts of Mid-City's business district (Broad Street near the Whole Foods & Movie Theatre + Carrollton which has everything you could need).

Lastly, no where is 100% safe in New Orleans. I tell you that to be honest. Poverty in this town is BAD. My ancestors left four generations ago and I came back because I love this place, but don't let anyone fool you. You don't have to be paranoid, but do realize and take precautions. Again, Annie's recommendations are correct in terms of the "safest" areas except for ANYWHERE downtown. The French Quarter, Marigny, and Bywater are the hub of tourist action which = a lot of easy target$$$$. I use to live in a fancy part of the Marigny where many of the houses were valued at or over $500,000, not near any bars, restaurants or liquor stores yet folks (mainly fancy tourists and businessmen) would get robbed ALL the time. Do you want to know why? There were TWO meth houses around the corner and pimps + independent contractors would have their ladies, gentlemen, and ladyboys waiting outside. Even now that those two meth houses are gone (this was 5 years ago), people STILL get robbed due to all of the AirBnB tourists. Sorry about the rant, but I had to share. Again, stay Uptown. I'm in the LGD and love the diversity, bars, and restaurants.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 PM

83 posts, read 77,101 times
The area around Tulane is nice and there is a lot to do as well. I grew up in that area and am maybe a bit biased, but I think that part of uptown is a great area to buy in.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:04 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesducote View Post
The area around Tulane is nice and there is a lot to do as well. I grew up in that area and am maybe a bit biased, but I think that part of uptown is a great area to buy in.
I think if you're moving to New Orleans with a family or are going to start a family, this is the best area to look, unless you want the suburbs. It ain't cheap though. I'm amazed at the progress of this city since Katrina, but I sure miss the cost of living back then.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:11 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Search Uptown or maybe the Irish Channel or Garden District if you can afford it.

Tulane professors get a lot of respect in New Orleans so you'll be hob knobbing with the best.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,279 times
There are a lot of decent, good location apartments around Garden District and lower garden district on the market now than when i became a landlord 7 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans