Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 AM

Location: Used to live in Poughkeepsie, Staten Island, and Howard Beach
16 posts, read 16,573 times

Advertisements

New Orleans has, unfortunately, always struggled with violence and a high crime rate- even back in the colonial creole days.

Usually it's due to a long rampant history of corruption and poverty.
In the present day, there is alot of black market activity going on in certain parts of the city. ( the 7th, 8th,and 9th wards being one of them.)
In New orleans, there is a high rate of black market gun selling/trading. There is also a large amount of illegal drug dealing ( due to the fact that the crescent city sits on a popular drug route).
New orleans is a port city- so it gives way to alot of black market business.

New Orleans also is notorious for having a struggling police department.

The list goes a bit further than what i'm describing, but if you add up all the peices, you get a further understanding the New Orleans struggles with political corruption, drugs, struggling police force, poverty etc.
All of those aspects certainly cant be helping with New Orleans violent aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 04:58 PM

105 posts, read 317,255 times
Lots of poor urban gentlemen...

Old 04-09-2021, 01:12 PM

46 posts, read 25,760 times
Well gee whiz, I wonder...

Old 04-12-2021, 03:51 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Well this thread is the predictable **** show I expected when I saw the title. There seems to be a rough consensus that the high crime stems in large part from NO having a large share of disadvantaged young men.

The big source of the disagreement centers on is propensity to commit crime a function of culture/social norms or economic opportunities/historical disadvantages? This can be hard to tease out directly because culture can impact opportunities and vice versa.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Well this thread is the predictable **** show I expected when I saw the title. There seems to be a rough consensus that the high crime stems in large part from NO having a large share of disadvantaged young men.

The big source of the disagreement centers on is propensity to commit crime a function of culture/social norms or economic opportunities/historical disadvantages? This can be hard to tease out directly because they never owned slaves.
Fify

Old 04-13-2021, 05:56 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I often hear about how New Orleans is a truly unique city, a place where people are easy-going and open minded. However this attitude contradicts the staggering violent crime rates that have persisted in the city for decades.

How can both of these things be true, and if so what causes them?
Same reason all big cities in the USA are violent. Because they're all run by Democrats.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:31 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Same reason all big cities in the USA are violent. Because they're all run by Democrats.

That's your go to? "because they're run by Democrats" Political Alignment does not equal crime rate

Old 04-14-2021, 03:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Louisiana was the murder capital under Jindal.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:26 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

The big source of the disagreement centers on is propensity to commit crime a function of culture/social norms or economic opportunities/historical disadvantages? This can be hard to tease out directly because culture can impact opportunities and vice versa.

i'm surprised this topic is still going 2 years later and so much to read!

Old 06-02-2021, 04:22 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,563 times
Before rapper Soulja Slim was murdered, he said "In New Orleans, if you lived past '94, you were a soldier" What he meant is that you had to be a ruthless gangster to survive New Orleans in '94 when it was murder capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans