Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 11:04 AM

58 posts, read 99,440 times

Advertisements

New Orleans isn't getting the growth of it's Southern peers such as Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Atlanta and Dallas have well diversified economies which helps their growth. Houston's economy isn't as well diversified but it's much more livable and growing faster than New Orleans. Miami has a weak economy with low wages but it's growing alot more than New Orleans is. New Orleans's metro should at least be the size of Charlotte's metro. With the unique, valuable trademark New Orleans has, it should be bigger than what it is. New Orleans is one of the most unique, cultural cities in the Southeast but the QOL is one of the worst with bad schools, poverty, and crime. From the 70s to early 90s, Atlanta was a murder capital similar to New Orleans. Atlanta improved after the Olympics came through but New Orleans is still stagnant. I'm very well aware that Hurricane Katrina set New Orleans back but it's still having issues like it did pre-Katrina. New Orleans has tourism but is very blue collar and lacks corporations. How can New Orleans attract corporations? Why isn't gentrification hitting New Orleans like Atlanta? Is gentrification the only way New Orleans can grow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 08:10 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs View Post
New Orleans isn't getting the growth of it's Southern peers such as Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Atlanta and Dallas have well diversified economies which helps their growth. Houston's economy isn't as well diversified but it's much more livable and growing faster than New Orleans. Miami has a weak economy with low wages but it's growing alot more than New Orleans is. New Orleans's metro should at least be the size of Charlotte's metro. With the unique, valuable trademark New Orleans has, it should be bigger than what it is. New Orleans is one of the most unique, cultural cities in the Southeast but the QOL is one of the worst with bad schools, poverty, and crime. From the 70s to early 90s, Atlanta was a murder capital similar to New Orleans. Atlanta improved after the Olympics came through but New Orleans is still stagnant. I'm very well aware that Hurricane Katrina set New Orleans back but it's still having issues like it did pre-Katrina. New Orleans has tourism but is very blue collar and lacks corporations. How can New Orleans attract corporations? Why isn't gentrification hitting New Orleans like Atlanta? Is gentrification the only way New Orleans can grow?
Attracting economic investment. Retaining the educated population. When I graduated with my Finance degrees from UNO, the president of the school spoke at our commencement and asked why the city wasnt retaining us...why ATL, Dallas, Houston, etc were landing spots for educated natives of NOLA. For me and most people I know it was economics. The city has money but like many, many other places the opportunities are are not open for everyone. Add to that crooked politicians, you get decades long stagnation. When the oil companies left and closed their Canal street offices, that was a sign. When the East turned from prospective economic engine to desolute, that was a reminder. Katrina was just the kick in the gut. The root cause of your inquiry is rooted in systemic disenfranchisement, municipal (and state) ineptitude for true economic development that is condusive to NOLA, it does not have to change the character of the city at all......and the unwillingness to change for the powers that be. They are comfortable how things are. The money has always been there...the growth has always been stagnated.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:25 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
I recently read on another place-based forum that “New Orleans is the most ‘Right-Brained’ city in America.” And while NOLA can indeed take pride in its rich artistic, cultural and musical heritage, there needs to be more of a balance in order to stem the brain drain. NOLA must get serious about arresting the “Three Cs”: Crime, Corruption and Complacency. Perhaps it should revision itself as the “Silicon Bayou” and position itself to attract more high value-added industries and services.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:36 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I recently read on another place-based forum that “New Orleans is the most ‘Right-Brained’ city in America.” And while NOLA can indeed take pride in its rich artistic, cultural and musical heritage, there needs to be more of a balance in order to stem the brain drain. NOLA must get serious about arresting the “Three Cs”: Crime, Corruption and Complacency. Perhaps it should revision itself as the “Silicon Bayou” and position itself to attract more high value-added industries and services.
I dont know if you recall, but prior to Katrina the city had the moniker that ATL now holds as the Hollywood of the south. I agree that the hospitality industry cannot sustain the region. But politics and of course Katrina dealt body blows. And at that time the public spectacle of Edwin Edwards, Cleo Fileds and Eddie DeBartolo Jr. didnt help. To your point, there needs to be a concerted effort to compliment the anecdotal charm and culture we have.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
New Orleans was Hollywood South before Katrina? It was Hollywood South just in 2015.

But poverty, and opportunities are the reason people leave. It's the reason I left. State money goes to oil and gas, that's the only significant industry that pays well, and they hold us hostage. Our infrastructure is trash so other industries don't want to relocate here, we need to keep our own graduates in state, offer them gainful employment in their field (outside of petroleum engineering), and give them a high QOL. That doesn't exist in any Louisiana Parish. I'd love to come back but people are too happy with being #50.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:22 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post

Well stated. +1

You know its funny - I get the question from time to time, asking if I'd ever move back home. I usually respond with "no" pretty quickly, but the real answer is a bit more complicated.

The economy in Louisiana is just completely trash...and the weak economy is what causes such massive poverty, bad schools, crime, poor infrastructure, etc. Those in power with the ability to change this course are way too self-serving to actually care. So the wages will continue to be some of the lowest in the nation. The schools will continue to be some of the poorest performing in the nation. The crime will continue to be among the highest of cities this size.

For a very long I was a NOLA homer - ever hopeful that New Orleans would embrace the tech industry and really take off. But nowadays I'm not as hopeful for the city I call home. I view my entire homestate as a more cultured and interesting version of Mississippi. There really isn't much difference.

It pains me that New Orleans has become a one-trick pony. Come for a good time & good food, then leave and go back to where you can live comfortably and earn a good living.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Well stated. +1

You know its funny - I get the question from time to time, asking if I'd ever move back home. I usually respond with "no" pretty quickly, but the real answer is a bit more complicated.

The economy in Louisiana is just completely trash...and the weak economy is what causes such massive poverty, bad schools, crime, poor infrastructure, etc. Those in power with the ability to change this course are way too self-serving to actually care. So the wages will continue to be some of the lowest in the nation. The schools will continue to be some of the poorest performing in the nation. The crime will continue to be among the highest of cities this size.

For a very long I was a NOLA homer - ever hopeful that New Orleans would embrace the tech industry and really take off. But nowadays I'm not as hopeful for the city I call home. I view my entire homestate as a more cultured and interesting version of Mississippi. There really isn't much difference.

It pains me that New Orleans has become a one-trick pony. Come for a good time & good food, then leave and go back to where you can live comfortably and earn a good living.

Yeah its sad. I'd love to move back but I simply can't. Also sucks seeing friends and family stay there thinking that its nice or getting better or just being satisfied with squalor.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:58 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
If the city invest in economic growth I think most other things will fall in place. The city still is slowly improving and there is noticeable construction and infrastructure improvements taking place throughout the city, so it's not a total hopeless cause. At the same time, there is a feeling that things are stagnating. The post-Katrina high growth and high hopes have noticeably dulled and Covid related stings have dealt a blow (showing how overly tourist dependent we are). The city still offers a lot and if you have the right job in the right area, life can be pretty good.

The funniest part about it is New Orleans has seen huge reinvestment and gentrification in the last 15 years. In fact probably the biggest complaint one can make is how expensive rent and home prices have become. The flip side of that is where is the comparable economic growth and quality of life changes to justify the crazy increases? Time will tell I guess.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
If the city invest in economic growth I think most other things will fall in place. The city still is slowly improving and there is noticeable construction and infrastructure improvements taking place throughout the city, so it's not a total hopeless cause. At the same time, there is a feeling that things are stagnating. The post-Katrina high growth and high hopes have noticeably dulled and Covid related stings have dealt a blow (showing how overly tourist dependent we are). The city still offers a lot and if you have the right job in the right area, life can be pretty good.

The funniest part about it is New Orleans has seen huge reinvestment and gentrification in the last 15 years. In fact probably the biggest complaint one can make is how expensive rent and home prices have become. The flip side of that is where is the comparable economic growth and quality of life changes to justify the crazy increases? Time will tell I guess.
Probably won't happen in my lifetime and I'm only 29. There's no desire to change.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:10 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Probably won't happen in my lifetime and I'm only 29. There's no desire to change.
Well I'm not that pessimistic or harsh. I still think the city is on the right trajectory even if things have slowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans