Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

I don't really expect to get alot of replies to this thread given what's going on down there with Gustav right now. However...

I was wondering what Elementary School teaching jobs look like in the greater New Orleans area these days. Are there alot of teaching jobs availible ? What is the average salary ? Starting salary ?

My wife lived in Harvey during Katrina and was working/abandoned downtown during/after the storm. That combined with the way things were she says that she'd never want to live there again. However, She's been away for over three years and I think she misses home and her family alot. We're both going back to school. I was just curious if it would be worth my time/effort to possibly look into New Orleans as a possible future home.

Thanks for your time and hope everyone is okay through the Hurricane !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:52 AM

23 posts, read 72,173 times
There are some great charter schools that have come a LONG way since pre-Katrina schools. Green Charter, uptown is one. The director of the school has high standards for his team of teachers. I've got friends who have been teaching there for many years.
I hear the Kipp schools are pretty cool as well, though I have not yet experienced them first-hand. I've been involved with after school programming at 4 N.O. charter schools in the past 3 years and have had the privilege to examine behind the scenes what the teachers are like, environment, etc.
I am not certain what the starting salary is, but if your wife misses the city, she should at least explore her options as there are many in post-K NOLA for teachers. I've met teachers who have moved here from Colorado, New York and Washington - all excited to be a part of our new schools.

Here's another school that popped up after Katrina that looks interesting - About Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans