Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 05:01 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,569 times

Advertisements

The latest computer models for Hurricane Ike have it skirting south Florida and Northern Cuba before turning north and heading into the Gulf of Mexico. Many of us followed our local and state leaders and evacuated from Hurricane Gustav when they told us that it was going to be the biggest in 100 years (even bigger than Katrina!!). Now with Ivan bearing down on the gulf coast, I wonder if people will evacuate as easily and willingly next week?

My evacuation was a terror and I will be riding out the next hurricane. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:21 AM

248 posts, read 627,133 times
having lived through katrina i don't recommend it. people did the same they were tired of evacuating after ivan the year before and dennis in june, the problem is you just never know.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 AM

794 posts, read 3,359,052 times
I hate to remind people, but Gustav was pretty bad to the people in south central Louisiana and even the gulf coast of Mississippi with the surge. NOLA got off lucky this time. If it appears any hurricane is going to hit your area, I would evacuate. People that stay do so at their own risk. Don't expect city services or city help. And don't expect outsider help for a full day or two afterwards. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,969 times
Sigh, I'm just now allowed back in the trailer as of yesterday. Oh well comes with the territory, at least I haven't unpacked my stuff yet, so that's a good thing

I'll be back up on the Northshore above I-12 again, I'm not thrilled with riding any hurricane out, but with Mom refusing to leave...

SIL had the evacuation from hell and refuses to evacuate for Ike. She won't even come here where at least she's not having to worry about levee failure. We're hoping that she's just being obtuse and will change her mind when Ike gets closer

Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I was in N.O. for Betsey and it was scary! Even though the city didn't take the full force of the winds, my house "rattled and rolled." Many in my neighborhood lost all or part of the roof, trees were down everywhere and we had no power for 2 weeks. Hot and humid as hell, I lay down in the bath tub at night with a candle to read, in a few inches of cold water. Had to try to go out every day to find food for my toddlers. After that, I left each and every time. Of course, it helped that I had family in Alexandria to stay with. Leave if you can!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,132 times
Default I hear you Refugee56

I totally sympathize. I do not live near you but you all are in my thoughts and prayers. I evacuated in Florida during Hurricane Floyd and it was a big bust. It never even hit land, but the entire East coast of Florida was evacuated. I-95 was bumper-to-bumper for miles. The nearest hotel we found was in Columbia, SC. We vowed never to evacuate again. The next hurricane (Irene) followed, and we stayed. We bought plywood and boarded up the windows. There was a lot of mess to clean up the next day, but we were fine.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 PM

794 posts, read 3,359,052 times
I don't know which is worse really, evacuations from hell or staying for a hurricane and living the aftermath with little or no services. I assume be safe than sorry.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 5,022 times
Default Evacuation

As a small child I remember riding out Hurricane's in Vernon Parish, of course our Grandparents home was at a higher elevation that prevented the house from flooding.. With blessings, no one had mentioned the word Tornado, so the fear was not instilled. Until about 20 years ago we were out west, and heavy rains, flooding and high winds were rather a normal form of life.. 1989 brought reality into my world in Charlotte, NC.. Hugo came in for a visit.. Now, the thought of a Hurricane only reminded me of the family migrating to Grandma's house, that the wind would howl and the rain would beat on the house.. So, the night was somewhat sleepless, but I we did sleep.. Safe in Brick Condo.. The next morning the storm had passed, we knew we were safe, until we opened the front door and walked out into the parking lot and began to look around, fear began to settle as we tried to drive down through Charlotte.. It looked like a War Zone.. Hugo, not only brought the rain and the wind, it was full of tornado's. The news of families who had gone to a basement Shelter in Charleston, SC and the basement had flooded.. Only the families who live on the coast year round, truly understand the ocean's and Gulf far better than the rest of us.. Some choose to ride out the monsters.. But, they are dealing with 8 -16 foot waves.. That is alot of water coming at you really fast. Having, my experience with Hurricane's seasoned over the last 20 years, I know that setting here 200 miles from the coast, I have a better chance of survival than the families who live there. Would I evacuate to avoid the flooding, Heavens yes, even if I had terrible experiences each time I had to evacuate. Hey, I would rather deal with dodging tornado's, in the wind and rain, then have to dodge tornados when eveything is flooded and I am setting on the top of my roof, hoping and praying someone is going to come along and rescue me, and help me find my family members meanwhile, being terrified they have drowned.. That was Katrina, and no one knew just how bad it was going to be. Ike is being projected as a 4.. Might stay that way, maybe a 3.. You can drown from the flooding of a Tropical Storm. Why keep the family in harm's way.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 AM

401 posts, read 855,605 times
Well put!! If you have children, leave as soon as you know it will affect you. Stay only is you do not have children.
I had ridden through many hurricane seasons outside of NOLA and it is a big pain in the butt to evacuate, but always better safe than sorry. The people who are born and raised near the coasts and hurricane prone areas know when and what to do.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,969 times
It was about 5:30 when we were awakened by Ike. The trailer, (mobile home not travel), had moved. The trailer then did a bounce and a a couple of sways. It's nowhere near the experience I had for Hurricane Rita in that travel trailer, but when an anchored down mobile home starts dipping and swaying a bit you pay attention.

The surge has flooded several low lying communities on the coast. All I can say is God bless Texas if Ike has this kind of bite 250 mi. away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans