Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 10:03 AM

24 posts, read 79,107 times

Advertisements

I lived in LA for over a year and loved the food and people and want to move back. I have about 6G, is this enough to get started? I am looking for a barbacking job to get started, are these readily available? Is Maringy//FQ a good safe place to live? any other advice would be more than appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,804 times
Read the other posts as a logical start.
Do the homework and if you can get a gig barbacking, you'll make around $500 a week.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM

ive read alot of posts but couldn't quite get definitive answers. I feel 6g is enough for a studio or 1 bedroom. I know about taking cabs home (my buddy got jumped for 23 bucks) im just looking for other points of view. I am also looking for people that have connections in the bar industry. (Trying to get my networking going).

Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 PM

127 posts, read 500,293 times
If you can find a studio or room in the Quarters and a bar nearby you could walk to work but must be extra vigilent in paying attention to your surroundings. Especially when getting off late at night.

6g is enough.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM

i will most likely move to the FQ. where is the best area? SW,NW etc...

Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM

67 posts, read 248,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwerl View Post
i will most likely move to the FQ. where is the best area? SW,NW etc...
I am about to finish college in Baton Rouge (~1 hr west), but I go to New Orleans at least a few times a month and actually worked there recently for a month. Anyway, my point is that this may not be perfect advice, but from an outsider's point of view:

It appears that the more north you go from the quarter, the worse you feel in terms of safety. I would suggest maybe just east of the quarter or the actual southeast part of the quarter, hopefully I'm right. Marigny/Bywater seem to get a lot of praise, but at night all of these areas scare the hell out of me to be honest. I would still live in the FQ for the adventure, but be careful and as the cops say, if you don't call because someone looks suspicious to you, they can't do anything about it because it hasn't been reported. And you'll be risking harm to yourself by the morons trolling the streets. So, be brave and keep the NOPD number programmed into your phone and live your awesome new NOLA life to the fullest.

Good luck,
Nate

Old 01-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Thnxs nate,
I've been reading up alot on the crime-wave hitting the french quarter. Some say im crazy for moving at this time, but f* it im going. Im glad to see that people in the quarter are organizing to take thier neighborhood back, i will definately get involved in this community when I get there. I just hope I can find employment quick, also having trouble finding a place to live, If anyone knows of a weekly/monthly rental place IN THE QUARTER I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans