Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 16,847 times

Advertisements

Ok so a little background is in order here I suppose.

I am a 22 year old professional in every sense of the word, I opened a business in Shreveport and built a large client base in the area, I have managed to accomplish a good bit and now I am considering selling my company to a larger firm, they would like to move me to New Orleans to help boost sales in that office, I am completely open to the idea and think I may really like New Orleans, however I need to know some things, first and foremost, where to live??

Budget will be a concern but not a huge one, I live downtown in Shreveport and would like to live as close to work as possible in New Orleans as well. It looks like the Central Business district may be a good option, but which of the apartments/condos in the CBD are the best places to live, I'd like to rent for probably a year or so until I get settled in and I have my own furniture so Im not interested in any furnished units.

Please help me with some suggestions on where I could live in N.O. as well as what there is to do for a young single professional in the N.O. area.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,303,322 times
What isn't there to do for a young professional?
Try to get involved with 504ward when you get here 504ward.com and the Young Leadership Council.

The Lower Garden District is pretty happening for the younger crowd but can be a bit sketchy...I don't know anyone who lives IN the CBD but I'm sure its not bad. Generally everything can vary block by block...you'd have to come down to see things for yourself. St. Charles Ave. to Magazine is generally a pretty good area (speaking generally).

And if you do make it here, REGISTER to vote!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 PM

thanks for the input, im guessing the VOTE suggestion has something to do with the fabulous mayor lol??

as for the lower garden district how close it that to downtown? ill be working on poydras st. and would like to be able to walk to work, or at least be able to ride my segway there

Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 PM

In that case, look at Julia Street or the adjacent streets (Arts and Warehouse District), if you want to walk to work.
I work on Poydras myself but live 5 miles away, Uptown near the Park.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:26 PM

thanks ... ive been looking around a little bit, seems like there are a few options in the warehouse district ... is that also walkable to the french quarter?? Bourbon st. etc?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Yes it is.

Bourbon Will get old quick BTW. I enjoy the rest of the Qtr though.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Yes it is.

Bourbon Will get old quick BTW. I enjoy the rest of the Qtr though.

I did figure Bourbon would get old fairly quickly, however its pretty much the only street i know in the FQ lol

looking at the map of NO it seems like I could at least ride the segway from anywhere in the garden district french quarter warehouse district etc. so i guess the main concern is secured parking because it was way too expensive to park for a day last thursday and i know New orleans is known for crime so i would like to have a covered parking spot or more preferably a garage.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:42 PM

i dont have a covered spot and no one has messed with my car, but never ever leave anything in the car.

Keep in mind that during the summer it will be unbelievably hot outside, that's what keeps me from trying to ride my bike in..for now.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
i dont have a covered spot and no one has messed with my car, but never ever leave anything in the car.

Keep in mind that during the summer it will be unbelievably hot outside, that's what keeps me from trying to ride my bike in..for now.

Yea I know how hot it gets, I was down there last thursday, not to mention im from shreveport, so im very familiar with the LA humidity

as for the leaving stuff in the car i guess thats just something I'll need to get used to, i almost never take my golf clubs out of my car

Old 07-04-2009, 07:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
Say bye-bye to the golf clubs. I would not want to walk or ride a Segway back to the Warehouse District at night, but that's just me maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans