Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 AM

5 posts, read 13,153 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating. We are looking at Covington or Manderville as an option. I was wondering if anyone can give me any idea of how competitive the teacher job market is? Is there housing available? What might be better areas to live in than others? Actually, any advice you can forward would be greatly appreciated.

WE currently live in NJ and to be honest things are NOT good in this state, our daughter lived in NOLA for a few years and we liked the area when we visited her. But we are open to almost anything at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM

530 posts, read 2,626,090 times
Covington and Mandeville are nice areas on the north shore of the Lake. Quite a distance from the actual city of New Orleans. Is there a specific reason why you are looking at moving to Louisiana? You should do some research and see if it's for you. What's not so good about NJ?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
MAndeville is close to the lake and gets flooded. Some areas of Covington are near streams/lakes and flood but not so much of the area is prone to flooding.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 AM

126 posts, read 471,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
MAndeville is close to the lake and gets flooded. Some areas of Covington are near streams/lakes and flood but not so much of the area is prone to flooding.
??? What are you talking about? Even with Katrina only the first two blocks off of Lake Pontchartrain flooded with the storm in Mandeville and most of those homes are built high above ground anyway? The only thing that ever floods in Covington is Bogue Falaya Park when the river is high. Homes never flood. Most of Mandeville and Covington are built on higher ground. The original poster on this thread should not view Covington or Mandeville as flood prone. It's simply not true.
In regards to teaching, you will be very pleased with the St. Tammany Public School system for employment. St. Tammany has some of the best public schools in the country and is expanding and growing year in and year out. Another new high school is opening in Mandeville this fall. The job market is doing VERY WELL in Louisiana during this recession, especially in the Metro New Orleans area. The area continues to grow and expand and today, a great deal of growth and expansion has no relation to Hurricane Katrina. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
??? What are you talking about? Even with Katrina only the first two blocks off of Lake Pontchartrain flooded with the storm in Mandeville and most of those homes are built high above ground anyway? .............................
And what is that if not flooding? Moderator cut: off topic comment

Last edited by leorah; 05-18-2009 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: off topic comment

Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And what is that if not flooding? I should have known Mr. Polyanna would disagree with me.
You should have said that the areas very near the lake (and along streams that feed into it) flooded in Katrina, considering Mandeville is a huge swath of land that goes all the way up to I-12.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 AM

126 posts, read 471,768 times
Moderator cut: reference to deleted post when you post about this area, if it isn't the truth or is misleading, look for me to come behind you and clear the truth for the original poster. I am passionate about my city, know that it is one of the most unique places on the planet, am aware of it's issues (all cities have issues), but, at the same time, as a poster like anyone else, I'm going to come behind and correct posts that are more opinionated than factual. It's just the way I am. I believe in truth over drama. One thing that won't change....New Orleans is a fabulous city that offers more to the senses than anywhere in this country and right now, has about the best economy of any major metro area in the US.

Last edited by leorah; 05-18-2009 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted post

Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 20,012 times
I agree with Alon504 and not SouthernBelle, Mandeville and Covington don't really flood.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Well, FEMA agrees with me on flooding in Mandeville; this is from one of their info sites:
"Mandeville, LA - In the City of Mandeville, approximately 80 percent of the incorporated area is within a Special Flood Hazard Area, Zone A and Zone V."

Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 AM

167 posts, read 865,068 times
Nope. Mandeville does not flood except along the lake front- usually the first two to three blocks and only in hurricane situations. I lived there for 20 years. Covington does not flood except in isolated areas along the rivers. Almost all of southeast LA is in floodzones. That means there is a possibility of flooding. You will find this in almost any state.
To answer the OP- Mandeville and Covington are wonderful places to live. Good food and friendly people. I'm not sure about the job situation, though. My whole family still lives in Mandeville. There is a strong sense of community there and a bit of a coastal feel. Many people raise their kids there and then continue to stay, so there are retirees along with planned adult activities and community center classes. The drive across the lake into Metarie is about 30 minutes and then another 15 or so into NOLA from there (in no traffic). I always felt like it was a nice buffer from the hustle and bustle of the city. Even NOLA itself is a neat place. You will read about lots of crime there, which is a harsh reality, but you will find that people are very proud of that city and are committed to restoring its glory. Even at its size, it offers a strong community feel and a cozy vibe. I can't say enough about the area. It is very different from NJ, but if you are looking for a change...
You won't need your snow shovel there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans