Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM

55 posts, read 102,082 times

Advertisements

I was reading on wiki that metairie is a unincorporated area and not a consolidated city-county governent. a census designated place in Jefferson parish adjecent to nola.

if it's not a census designed city couldn't it be counted as part of new Orleans land one day.

then that would give n.o. a larger population( more gov funding money)
and it could be like a borough in nola just as Brooklyn counts for nyc population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:05 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
I think it's theoretically possible, but it wouldn't happen. There would incredibly strong opposition by Metairie residents. Also, it is in Jefferson Parish, and I'm willing to bet most people in Jefferson Parish do not want to have to be affiliated with Orleans Parish (which is coextensive with the city of New Orleans).

Metairie basically became what it is today because of white flight from the city of New Orleans.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
I don't what role New Orleans being in Orleans Parish and Metairie being in Jefferson would play, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. The mere thought is enough to give birth to a legal dispute out of this world between two areas that already have a ridiculously strained relationship. This would also drastically alter the demographics and political landscape to a state that although it may be needed, neither side wishes to see.

Honestly, I think it would just look good on paper.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
NOLA definitely needs to annex Metarie as part of its return to glory

Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Jefferson Parish would never give up Metairie and the tax base. So far as I know, one parish/county cannot annex another's land.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Jefferson Parish would never give up Metairie and the tax base. So far as I know, one parish/county cannot annex another's land.
I didn't thinks so either. That's why I made a point of mentioning that it was in a different parish. Also, it sounds like it would be a big hassle as far as school systems, taxes, etc. But I'm sure if they wanted it to happen they could make it happen.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
ROFLMAO!!! Could y'all just see the total freak out Metairie and Orleans residents would have?! Oil and water.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Its funny since they both despise each other, but they need each other to survive and thrive.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:29 PM

6 posts, read 19,955 times
I live in Old Metairie and personally I would support this 100%. I think both Met and NO would benefit from it. However, I think the large white population in Metairie and the large black population in New Orleans would be against it. Neither one wants to be governed or surrounded by the other...

Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.LA View Post
I live in Old Metairie and personally I would support this 100%. I think both Met and NO would benefit from it. However, I think the large white population in Metairie and the large black population in New Orleans would be against it. Neither one wants to be governed or surrounded by the other...

I think NOLA would prosper more if the two races could live together in harmony like here in San Antonio. Here we have Germans, Hispanics, African American , Asians and other races all living together in every part of the city.

If the two would merge NOLA pop would be over 500K and would attract not only gov but private investor. I just can't believe that a city like NOLA with all the natural resources around it is not one of the most powerful cities in the South or the USA.

NOLA police force should set up in the durg crime riden parts of town and get rid of most of that mess. Just like the Phonix sherriff does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans