Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:44 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times

Advertisements

It's been almost 3 years since Hurricane Katrina devastated the New Orleans area. Is the recovery process on the fast track? What things have improved since then? Is the crime getting better? Is New Orleans getting into "back to normal"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
It's been almost 3 years since Hurricane Katrina devastated the New Orleans area. Is the recovery process on the fast track? What things have improved since then? Is the crime getting better? Is New Orleans getting into "back to normal"?
I wouldn't say recovery is on a fast track but it is coming along. Some areas faster than others. Sadly, a few areas look like they've hardly been touched.

Other than the neighborhoods that haven't gotten the attention they need, mostly everything else has improved except for crime.
People are growing tired of the city govt. Streets are actually being redone. The city run and charter schools are gradually improving while the state run district is at least trying. A steady flow of peolple are returning and rebuilding. The average tourist would never know Katrina came through. Because of the storm the effect of the national economy on the area was small. There are quite a few new construction projects going on around the city although cranes don't dot the sky like many hoped. The current administration is on it's way out and hopefully the we can elect a the right person next year. There has been an increase in small start-up companies and entreprenuers relocating to the area in the last 2 years. The only thing needed is affordable housing that is available to the general pop. and not just the low income.

Sadly, crime is holding steady.

I don't think New Orleans can ever be normal in the Pre-K sense. I don't know even know what would be considered normal after Katrina.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
Well anything called "affordable" is going to be geared toward low income...and that's why I don't favor pushing it in the city. If the neighborhoods were allowed to gentrify and a balance in real estate values created a fair market equilibrium then the city would clean up alot faster.

Take the bogus low income housing that is paid for by the government out of St. Roch, Treme and the fringe areas around St. Claude and parts of Uptown...then the people kept in the city thro artificial means, then you will see a lot of renovated properties come online with good taxpaying tenants.

I know people who grew up in St. Roch/Upper 9th etc...working blue collar families who kept up their neighborhoods...and didn't need government assistance to make that happen.

Unfortunately its not PC to push for gentrification or removal of government subsidy housing....you risk being branded as hateful of poor people. (And this is funny considering I would say I'm 2-3 paychecks away from poor)

Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 AM

104 posts, read 476,523 times
wow. 3 years already. it almost seems like 4

Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
wow. 3 years already. it almost seems like 4
I was thinking the same thing! Check your dates, Katrina was on August 29,2005. So given the "extra" year, how do things look?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Well anything called "affordable" is going to be geared toward low income...and that's why I don't favor pushing it in the city. If the neighborhoods were allowed to gentrify and a balance in real estate values created a fair market equilibrium then the city would clean up alot faster.
Basically, this is what I'm trying to say. It's getting harder for those of us who work hard to stay here with insurance costs, high rents, etc. If gentrification will level out the market and bring down housing costs then bring it on, just as long as those who work hard are not forced out. If it's going to raise everything across the bored and force out over half of the entire city then to hell with it.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Sorry my mistake all.

I was thinking of something else

Hurricane Katrina was 4 years ago.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM

126 posts, read 471,570 times
I'll put it to you this way. In October, 2005 when I was roaming around this city, (which 80%+ of it looked like Hiroshima) and you suggested to me we would be like we are today, I would have laughed. Today, the city is growing, the population of the city is 78% back and the metro area is 94% back in population). We're doing great. Our culture and everything I love about calling this place "home," is back. Give us another 3 or so years and we'll be right back where we were before the storm and moving forward. A good thing to do to answer your question would be to come down here and see for yourself. Concerning crime...as long as their is crack cocaine, expect to read about murder in this city. But, it is totally (and sadly) black on black. Last year out of all of the murders (200+), only 9 murders were stranger to stranger (still frightening)--all of the rest were between acquaintances. That should tell you a few things about the reality of crime in New Orleans.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
^^Exactly, Alon. People from elsewhere look at the number of murders in mostly poor cities and the image their minds create is gunshots flying every which way for no reason other than for the heck of it.

It is drugs people. If you don't do them, sell them, or hang out around them, your chances of being a victim are about nil.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
that is true.

However, domestic disputes make up a sizeable portion of some city crime.
New Orleans is improving around uptown, the Garden district and French Quarter but many many neighborhoods are still no-go zones. Vast portions still remain dark and dangerous, but dont let that deter you from visiting the city. there is a lot of life in it. The city is currently repairing roads, but happily, it is keeping New Orleans famous street name tiles intact or replacing them with identical ones. The city may end up better than it was before when all is said and done,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: