Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,499 times

Advertisements

This is my first post here. I've been reading the city-data forums for a while and have decided to lay it all on the line and move out of Florida.

I live on the East Coast of Central Florida by NASA. There is absolutely no work here. I can't afford to live here with no job prospects and I'm beginning to bug out a bit. I'd like to rent a shotgun/camelback in a decent area close to the FQ. My rent range would be between 700-1000 per month before utilities, food and whatever. I will be purchasing a car when I get there if I am lucky enough to find a place. Here's my "abridged" story:

- I have 16+ years in the service industry. Bartending (Bar manager for 5 years in NY) & serving.

- I have my A+ Software/Hardware and can fix any computer problem/networking problem that arises. I have been doing tech support on the side to put food on my table and I'm barely getting by.

The tough part:

- I have a 99 lb Rottweiler male who is neutered and was born with hip dysplasia. He is, like all owners state, a perfect angel. Honestly though, he is the most uneventful Rottweiler I've ever owned and is a very odd and enjoyable character. When he barks he doesn't even bother to open his mouth entirely. The sound that comes out sounds like a horse. wwwwpppphhhhttt with a slight woof here and there. Then he looks at you like he can't be bothered. It is rather hysterical to witness. He is in excellent shape save the dysplasia but he is well supplemented and on NSAIDS once daily. He should have no problem hitting age 14 barring unforeseen complications because he is very well taken care of. I have noticed New Orleans is a pet friendly city and really would love to move up there. I would love to be able to take him to the dog parks because he loves to go for walks. Yes I clean right up after him in my own back yard so I'll employ the same routine anywhere.

- I haven't the best credit rating. I had a house that I inherited 3 years ago. I tried to rent out rooms and even the entire house and had nothing but lazy non paying renters. This forced me into foreclosure and I couldn't short sell it for the life of me.

- I don't know anyone who lives in New Orleans so I'm flying blind if I want to find an honest realtor/rental agent. I'm not in the business of trusting people on Craigslist either.

That's basically it in a nutshell. I have been looking for places up and down both coasts of Florida and Orlando. Pet restrictions have been the deal breaker time and time again. I decided on New Orleans because I have been there many times and I love the city. I lived in NY long enough to know how to act in public concerning crime and hope the dog mumbles loud enough to keep would be robbers away from the house. Thank you in advance for any information.

Go Saints!

Sincerely,
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
There didn't use to be any dog parks in the area. That may have changd since KAtrina, don't know. But my dog-owning friends haven't mentioned any.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:07 AM

9 posts, read 30,296 times
I'm in Australia but I have read on here quite a few times that there are dog parks in New Orleans.
Good luck with your move James I hope you settle in fine

Old 10-17-2009, 03:19 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Here you go:

Dog Parks of New Orleans on Vimeo

New Orleans | Dog Park USA

I hope these help. I'm on low bandwidth, so couldnt play the vid, but I do remember a really cool park in or near the FQ, looked like a regluar party place for pooches and humans!
Would love to meet your pooch, he sounds like a real character!

Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Sorry James, I just realized you weren't just asking about dog parks. Have you looked on nola.com for rentals? I've seen some places on there that seem like value for money. I'm sorry about what happened with your house. I had a similar prob, but luckily I was able to sell it before the tenants trashed it completely. But it's tough, and what you're doing is pretty spunky. (thats a good thing, I hate the word 'brave').

Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,499 times
Thank you for all the quick replies and links.

No problemo Jacq, I was concerned about the dog parks as well as the rentals. Things have changed for the better since yesterday and I will probably wind up in the Altamonte Springs, Florida vicinity for at least a year. I'll be renting so I can still pull up anchor and make the move to New Orleans after that if the economy and job market doesn't bounce back. I'll be splitting a 3br with a fenced in back yard with 2 relatives. We get along very well so as long as the floor plan affords us the option of a quiet place to read or just relax at any time, we'll be ok and saving some scratch as well. I didn't want to rush up to New Orleans and now I'll have a nice cushion. At least until the apocalypse in 2012!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 PM

102 posts, read 332,640 times
I'm smiling because I like it when I get to the end of a thread and things are working out well for a person. Good Luck to you and your new roommates Demtri!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 AM

12 posts, read 79,308 times
I'm not a dog-owner nor do I have any dog-owner friends) so I can't say much about the dog-park situation. However, I do see lots of people with dogs (ok to be fair not many huge rottweilers but not necessarily small dogs either) so I assume the city is dog friendly.

You can probably find something in the FQ at your price point, it might not be great but it's doable. As for the service industry jobs, I feel like that's the biggest employer in the city and you should be able to find some thing(s). Many of my friends who are students are working in restaurants and hotels so I imagine, those jobs are available. Anyway good luck with everything. I truly wish you the best and hope your luck changes and everything works out as you hope.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 81,777 times
I moved to New Orleans from Seminole County so I know what you mean when you said Brevard was a bust. There are Hotel/ restaurant jobs here and there is a dog park up the street from where I live uptown. The one thing that will blow your mind are : La. state personal income tax and auto insurance rates in Orleans parish. Otherwise there are jobs here and the social scene is great. Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Yeah I'll second the auto insurance rates. I can barely afford to keep a car right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: