Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 30,412 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is a great unique place, but we have problems just as any other city.The problems are deep rooted with crime,corruption,failing schools,and institutional racism.Despite that we have hard working and educated African Americans in this city.You will never know it, because the media,Katrina coverage,and nola.com will always put us in a negative light.

I'm almost amazed by the comments on here about there "used" to be a black middle class or doesnt exist anymore lol.So you mean to tell me that in an African American majority city, there isn't not one black middle class enclave ? So for the people who dont know we exist , we are here and we are not going anywhere.We are in Walnut bend and Aurora in Algiers,Paris Oaks,Gentilly Terrace,Gentilly Woods/Pontchartrain Park,Milneberg,Filmore in Gentilly and ,Lake blvd,Lake Forrest estates,Eastover in New Orleans East.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-28-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM

35 posts, read 144,065 times
I relocated here right after Katrina from suburban Chicago, and the lifestyle is a significant change. I'm currently living in suburban New Orleans (Northshore Slidell), but work in the city, and spend many of my weekends there. In my experience over the last four years, my quick-fire response would be that the bulk of the population of the metro area is an even split white/black. Now obviously there are other ethnicities and cultures represented here, but this is what I'm experiencing out in my day-to-day lifestyle as a mid-20s middle class caucasian, and so I hope that may answer the question for you personally.

I work in a white collar job, and I believe if any "area of highest concentration" of my black middle class coworkers could be determined, it'd be houses on the west bank (particularly algiers) or apartments/condos uptown. In contrast, if I were to try to pinpoint the same for the caucasians, it would likely be houses in Slidell & Metaire, apartments/condos uptown.

Uptown itself is probably where the highest concentration of 20-somethings are. It's a mixed racial series of communities, starting with the college area furthest west, and working it's way roughly up the economic scale through Uptown-St. Charles, Irish Channel, Garden district, to the Warehouse District. The whole stretch is likely the relaxed, hip, lifestyle you're seeking, though there are definately other areas of the city worth checking out (there are portions of mid-city, Metaire, etc. that are middle-class as well).

Please take this as opinion based on perspective, and not as hard truth. As I've said, I'm just a middle class white guy, and I'm only hoping that my answer jives with where you're coming from.

That being said, I would certainly say that New Orleans is a wonderful change of pace from what I considered the stuffy northerns, and yes, there is a thriving black middle class community.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 30,412 times
Hey Jim, good post.I'm glad U didnt give us blanket a statement, you merely commented from a perspective from white middle class guy and nothing is wrong with that.Uptown does not have a black middle class enclave.Most of the blacks there are lving in poverty(central city,Hollygrove,Calliope,Magnolia,Melph).It is usually an affluent subdivision,followed by a impoverished one.Uptown is very transplant heavy with very few local ties to the city who tend to turn their noses up to "non-uptown" sections of the city.Thats why I always pick on them.With that being said there is more to New Orleans than just Carrolton,Garden District,and the French Quarter.Don't be afraid to venture out to the other side of Canal st(Downtwon)

Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
That's enough. Thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans